|Born||Princeton, New Jersey, United States|
|Residence||Nashua, New Hampshire|
|Occupation||Internal medicine physician, blogger, commentator|
Early life and education
Kevin Pho was born in Princeton, N.J., and grew up in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He went to high school at University of Toronto Schools before attending Boston University, where he earned his B.A./M.D. in 1999. He then completed the Internal Medicine Residency Program at Boston University Medical Center. As of 2013, he practices in Nashua, New Hampshire with the Nashua Medical Group.
In 2004, Pho started the blog, KevinMD, where he writes about medical news. In 2009, his blog received 1.4 million unique visitors. That year, Pho raised $1,000 to support the United Way of Greater Nashua by using his Twitter and Facebook profiles.
Pho has appeared as a keynote speaker and panel member for the Massachusetts Medical Society, New England Journal of Medicine, Texas Medical Association, BlogWorld, and New Media Expo. He has been interviewed by CBS Evening News with Katie Couric and the Wall Street Journal.
Pho published Establishing, Managing, and Protecting Your Online Reputation: A Social Media Guide for Physicians and Medical Practices on February 22, 2013.
Pho claims that electronic health records interfere with face-to-face interaction physicians with their patients.(based on a Rand Corp survey). He claims the U.S. federal government spent $22 billion to encourage providers to make the transition from paper.
In February 2010, Pho was listed in the New Hampshire Union Leader’s ‘Top 40 Under 40.’
In January 2012, Pho was listed on Klout as the #1 healthcare social media influencer and #1 social media influencer in medicine.
- Pollock, Chelsey. "Dr. Kevin Pho harnesses the power of social media to practice medicine", New Hampshire Union Leader, Manchester, 1 February 2010.
- USA Today website. "Opinion Columnists." Accessed Mar. 15, 2013
- Pho, Kevin. “Despite flaws, health care law is still needed.” CNN. Mar. 26, 2012
- Pho, Kevin. "Over 75? No PSA." The New York Times. June 15, 2012
- Pho, Kevin. "Rejection Would Hurt Uninsured and Elderly." The New York Times. June 17, 2012
- Goldstein, Jacob. “Health Blog Q&A: Our Doc in New Hampshire.” The Wall Street Journal. Jan. 8, 2008
- World Congress Website. "Speaker Biography." Accessed Mar. 15, 2013
- Pho, Kevin, MD and Susan Gay. Greenbranch Publishing. Feb. 22, 2013. ISBN 0988304058
- Ostrovsky, Gene. "2008 Medical Weblog Awards Sponsored by Epocrates: Meet the Winners!", Medgadget, 23 January 2009. Retrieved on 2011-9-20.
- Ruiz, Rebecca. "Must-Read Health Blogs", Forbes, 07 October 2009. Retrieved on 2011-9-20.
- Sutter, John D. "Follow Friday: Health care reform on Twitter", "CNN", 16 October 2009. Retrieved on 2011-9-20.
- Charest, Bob. "Meet the NH's Best and Brightest." New Hampshire Union Leader. Feb. 1, 2010
- Glenn, Brandon. “Who are Klout’s Top 10 healthcare social media ‘influencers’?” MedCity News. Jan. 6, 2012