Kevin Ray Underwood
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2007)|
Authorities had sought a missing 10-year-old girl, Jamie Rose Bolin, for whom an Amber Alert had been issued. Underwood, who lived near Jamie Bolin in the same apartment complex, was arrested April 17, 2006, and Bolin's corpse, stashed in a large plastic container, was recovered from his bedroom closet.
Purcell Police said in a press conference that Underwood had admitted to FBI agents and Oklahoma detectives that he had murdered and attempted to decapitate Bolin, and that he told them, "Go ahead and arrest me. She is in there. I chopped her up."
Underwood was convicted of having bludgeoned Bolin to death with a wooden cutting board. Police stated that they found meat tenderizer and barbecue skewers at the scene, which they presume were intended for use on the victim.
On February 29, 2008, a jury found him guilty of first degree murder after deliberating for 23 minutes. This quick verdict is attributed to the showing of Underwood's videotaped confession. A jury recommended the death penalty on March 7, 2008. On April 3, 2008, McClain County District Judge Candace Blalock approved the recommended death sentence.
- Underwood, Kevin Ray. "Tomorrow is my birthday, I'll be 23". Strange Things Are Afoot At the Circle K (blog of Kevin Ray Underwood). 18 December 2002; accessed 11-5-09
- The Associated Press (17 April 2006). "Bored, lonely’ man charged in horrific crime" (in English). MSNBC. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- "Kevin Ray Underwood: Part 2". Newsok.com. Retrieved January 28, 2010.
- "Video: Kevin Underwood details Bolin murder" NewsOK (website of The Oklahoman) 3-13-08; accessed 11-5-09
- "Man Gets Death Penalty for Killing, Mutilating Girl in Cannibalistic Fantasy". Fox News. 4 April 2008.
- Continuing coverage on the case from The Oklahoman
- Wabnitz, Melissa A. - "Purcell girl found dead at neighbor’s apartment: Investigators have identified and arrested a man they believe is responsible for the kidnapping and murder of 10-year-old Jamie Rose Bolin." Norman Transcript April 14, 2006
- Transcript of taped confession