|Member of the Wisconsin Senate
from the 24th district
May, 1995 – 2002
|Preceded by||David Helbach|
|Succeeded by||Julie Lassa|
June 28, 1961 |
Stevens Point, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Residence||Merrill, Wisconsin, U.S.|
|Profession||Public servant, Businessman|
Kevin Shibilski (born June 28, 1961) is a businessman, investment banker, and former Democratic State Senator from Wisconsin's 24th District. He previously served as the Register of Deeds, representing Portage County, Wisconsin. He also served on the Portage County Board of Supervisors and as Wisconsin’s Secretary of Tourism.
Early Life, Education, and Career
Born in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Shibilski graduated from Stevens Point Area Senior High School and went on to graduate with a B.A. in English from the University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point. He is or has been a member of the Izaak Walton League, Wisconsin Bowhunters Association, Whitetails Unlimited, Tomorrow River Lions Club, Ducks Unlimited, Portage County Red Cross board of directors, and Portage County United Way. Shibilski served in the Portage County Board of Supervisors 1928-1987. He then served as Register of Deeds of Portage County 1987-1995.
Shibilski was appointed as Wisconsin's Secretary of Tourism in 2003. One of his first acts as secretary was to declare a "no snow emergency" when the state experienced a particularly poor winter snow season, dramatically impacting the state's economy.}. He stepped down later that year to become Vice President of Wisconsin Public Finance for Stifel, Nicolaus and Company. Shibilski left banking in 2009 to focus on various businesses throughout the country that he owns with his wife Sue. In addition to their business ventures, they have created some of the largest conservation easements in North Central Wisconsin worth millions of dollars. Kevin and Sue spend much of their free time hunting and fishing, and both are longtime Northwoods hunting guides.
Shibilski served as a member of the Wisconsin State Senate from 1995 to 2002. While in the state senate, the Wisconsin Education Association Council recognized Kevin numerous times for his work improving education in Wisconsin. A longtime steward of the environment, Kevin authored Wisconsin’s Mining Moratorium Law (1997, Senate Bill 3). He has received numerous awards for outstanding commitment to conservation, including acknowledgment as an outstanding conservation and environmental leader by the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation, and recognition from the Nature Conservancy for dedication to conservation issues. He led the fight to reauthorize the Stewardship Fund in 2000 to protect valuable natural areas, wildlife habitat, water quality, and fisheries. As a state senator, he authored the Labor Education Bill and the repeal of the Quality Economic Offer (signed in 2009). And, in recognition of his commitment and service in combating poverty, he earned the Gaylord Nelson Human Services Award in 2000.
2010 U.S. Congressional Election
Shibilski seriously considered a run against Republican nominee Sean Duffy for Wisconsin's 7th congressional district, then held by retiring Dave Obey. Duffy went on to defeat Shibilski's successor in the state senate Julie Lassa with a strong showing in the November 2010 general election.
2012 U.S. Congressional Election
- "Kevin Shibilski". WIsconsin Historical Society. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- "Wisconsin Legislative Spotlight". Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau. April 25, 2003.
- "Kevin Shibilski Biography". Wisconsin State Blue Book. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- "Kevin Shibilski". Wisconsin Historical Society. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- "Tourism: ‘No-Snow’ emergency". Badger Herald. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- "Shibilski Joins Stifel, Nicolaus and Company". Stifel, Nicolaus and Company. Retrieved 2011-06-22.
- "Resignation". Wisconsin Report. Retrieved 2011-06-22.
- "Shibilski a Warrior for Education". WEAC. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "Wisconsin Legislative Data". Legislative Reference Bureau. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "Former State Senator Won't Run for Obey's Seat". Waow News. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- "Press release by Kevin Shibilski". Waow News. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- "Local Election Results". Chippewa Herald. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- "Pat Kreitlow to challenge Sean Duffy in 2012; will Shibilski as well?". Blogging Blue. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- "Kevin Shibilski gearing up for challenge to Sean Duffy". Top Stories Milwaukee. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- "Duffy may have challenger in 2012". Ashland Current. Retrieved 2011-06-22.
- Kevin Shibilski, Wisconsin Historical Society
- Wisconsin Wisconsin Senate District 24
- Press Release
- Press release
- Campaign contributions (2008) at the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign
- 24th Senate District, Senator Lassa in the Wisconsin Blue Book (2005–2006)