Kevin Tostado is an American award-winning documentary filmmaker and a graduate of the first class of Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering. He founded the independent film company Tostie Productions in 2004 and was born in San Diego, CA. Tostado received a B.S. in electrical and computer engineering from Olin College in 2006. In addition to his work producing films, Tostado has written articles for New Jersey Lifestyle Magazine and has been interviewed by NPR's "More Than a Game", The Independent, and several other television and radio stations regarding his film career and projects.
Yellow Lights (2007)
His debut film, Yellow Lights, won awards for Best Feature & Best Cinematography at the Indie Fest USA film festival in Anaheim, CA. Tostado co-directed, co-produced, and co-wrote Yellow Lights with fellow Olin College alumnus, Tom Kochem, while the two of them were in their senior year of college. The film stars actors Bennett Chabot, Aja Munsell, Andrew Tsang, and Amanda Hurley, and the entire 88-minute film was shot for just $500. As a companion to the film, the soundtrack for Yellow Lights features an original score for the film by Brian Shih & Sean McBride, as well as tracks from notable New England indie music groups The Whatnot, Lansdowne, and the Jon Frederik Band.
Under the Boardwalk: The MONOPOLY Story (2011)
Tostado followed up with Under the Boardwalk: The MONOPOLY Story in 2011, a documentary that examines how the game of MONOPOLY became the world's most popular proprietary board over its 75-year history, as well as following the players that are competing in the United States & World MONOPOLY Championships that are held every 4–6 years. This film won the Audience Award for Best Documentary at the Anaheim International Film Festival in 2010 where it premiered, and also played at the Austin Film Festival (2010) & River Run Film Festival (2011). The film launched theatrically in March 2011 in San Diego, CA, and was well received in the local press. After screening in over 20 cities during 2011, the film was released on Amazon, iTunes, and Netflix on February 14, 2012. Later that year, on July 5, 2012, InstantWatcher.com reported that the film was the No. 2 most-streamed title in the US on Netflix. Rotten Tomatoes reports the film as 85% fresh by critics.
SUDS COUNTY, USA (2012)
Tostado was an associate producer on SUDS COUNTY, USA, a documentary about the rise of microbreweries in San Diego County, California. This film is narrated by Kevin Murphy, who is best known for his work on Mystery Science Theater 3000.
Eternity: The Movie (2014)
Tostado was a producer on Eternity: The Movie, which shot in San Diego in Summer 2012. The film stars Barrett Crake, Myko Olivier, Nikki Leonti, Eric Roberts, Martin Kove, and Jon Gries; the lead production company is Sidecar Productions of San Diego, CA. The film is a parody of the 1980s told through the eyes of a fictional R&B duo as we follow their rise and fall. The film held its World Premiere at the Cinequest Film Festival on March 8, 2014.
The Drucker Files (2007)
Tostado was the Director of Photography for The Drucker Files, which was a webseries for NBC's Heroes. The webseries shot in Burbank, CA at the offices of Grapevine Productions. The webseries starred David Pitcher, Kimberly Arland, Mark Ford, Rome Kanda, and Alice Amter.
Tostado co-produced Research., a webseries starring Gabriel Diani, Barry Bostwick & Doug Jones and directed by Adam Hall, which is similar to Better Off Ted in that the plot is based around a research facility. This webseries premiered on YouTube in June & July 2013.
- Anaheim International Film Festival – Best Documentary, Audience Award
- Indie Fest USA – Best Feature
- Indie Fest USA – Best Cinematography
- Finalist for PitchFest competition at WestDoc 2009.
- Under the Boardwalk: The MONOPOLY Story nominated by NATAS PSW Chapter in 2014 for Emmys in
- Outstanding Achievement - Writer - Program (Non-News)
- Outstanding Achievement - Director - Post-Production
- Outstanding Achievement - Editor (No time limit) - Program
- Outstanding Achievement - Documentary
- Outstanding Achievement - Musical Composition/Arrangement
- Tostie Productions website
- "''Yellow Lights''". Yellowlightsmovie.com. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- Under the Boardwalk, LLC. "''Under the Boardwalk: The MONOPOLY Story''". Monopolydocumentary.com. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- "Alison Gang, 3/4/11". UT San Diego. March 4, 2011. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- 9:45 a.m. (March 1, 2011). "Peter Rowe, 3/1/11". UT San Diego. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- "InstantWatcher.com Tweet, 6/6/12". Twitter.com. July 6, 2012. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- "Under the Boardwalk". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- "2014 Nomination List". NATAS PSW. April 29, 2014. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- Ibhayi Media. "Suds County, Usa". Suds County, Usa. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kevin Tostado.|