Kevin Wall at Orlando Stadium in Soweto, Johannesburg, South Africa on 2 June 2010 .
March 15, 1952 |
Fort Wayne, Indiana
|Occupation||Investor, Executive producer|
|Spouse(s)||Susan Smalley Wall, Ph.D.|
Kevin Wall, born March 15, 1952 in Fort Wayne, Indiana, is a producer, digital entrepreneur and environmentalist who creates and produces global events often viewed by a billion or more people. Recent events include the opening concert for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, Live Earth: the Concerts for a Climate in Crisis and Live 8.
In his career, Wall has produced and/or distributed over 300 live concerts, many of them tied to activist causes (benefit concerts), including the concerts to free Nelson Mandela, Roger Waters at the Berlin Wall, The Prince's Trust Concerts, Live AID, Live Earth, and Live 8, for which he was worldwide executive producer and won the first Emmy ever awarded for an 'interactive event.'
Wall's music career also includes Bob Dylan's "The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration" featuring Eric Clapton and George Harrison at Madison Square Garden, Michael Jackson’s "Live in Bucharest: The Dangerous Tour," Amnesty International's Human Rights Now!", "The Three Tenors in Paris", and specials for Prince, Eric Clapton and Elton John.
- 1 Early career
- 2 Live 8
- 3 Live Earth
- 4 Control Room
- 5 Investing
- 6 Awards and Boards
- 7 Personal
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Wall grew up in a family of fourteen (the twelve Wall children all had names beginning with the letter "K") who worked and lived in a roller-skating rink called the Roller Dome. He gained his earliest experiences programming music as the Roller Dome disk jockey. Wall says it was this experience that gave him insight into "the power of music to move people." He and his father and brothers laid all the wood flooring in the Roller Dome's 20,000-square-foot (1,900 m2) rink. Wall's expertise with wood flooring introduced him to a job with an Ann Arbor, Michigan company that built portable music stages. Wall then began promoting and staging concerts at colleges throughout the Midwest United States.
Wall established the first portable staging company to accommodate the staging, lighting and outdoor production needs of large stadium and arena concert tours by The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and The Who, among other artists.
Newly formed ties to the music business led him to Los Angeles, where, in 1984, he founded Radiovision, a production and distribution company of live music. In 1994, Wall established BoxTop, a web-design company, which three years later, he merged with iXL, an Atlanta-based media and internet consulting company.
As vice chairman of iXL, Wall led the strategic acquisition and organization of 42 Internet design and consulting companies to build a venture with 3,000 employees, 38 offices and annual revenues of over $400 million.
Wall's experience spans more than three decades in developing and producing live, multi-artist music shows, including Live 8, staged on July 2, 2005. Live 8 was a string of benefit concerts that took place on 2 July 2005, in the G8 states and in South Africa.
They were timed to precede the G8 Conference and summit held at the Gleneagles Hotel in Auchterarder, Scotland from July 6–8, 2005; they also coincided with the 20th anniversary of Live Aid. More than 1,000 musicians performed at the concerts, which were broadcast on 182 television networks and 2,000 radio networks.
This concert endeavor earned Wall an Emmy Award and was viewed online and on television by an estimated two billion viewers worldwide to pressure Western governments to take action on African aid and debt relief.
Live 8 was the inaugural production of Wall's newly formed multimedia production company Network LIVE, which, in 2006, became Control Room, a multi-platform producer and distributor of live entertainment events, and the production company behind Live Earth.
Live Earth 07.07.07
The July 7, 2007 Live Earth concerts were held on seven continents, over the course of 24 hours, featuring over 150 headlining artists including Madonna, Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Alicia Keys, Lenny Kravitz, The Black Eyed Peas, and The Police participated in the event. Through this massive media architecture, reached nearly two billion people on the planet with a message for change.
Live Earth has developed from one-time event into an advocacy organization dedicated to the creation of entertainment events and media content aimed at raising awareness for the challenges and solutions associated with climate change. Live Earth works with corporate, non-governmental, entertainment and political influencers and organizations around the world.
Green Inaugural Ball
In 2009, Kevin Wall was selected by former U.S. Vice President, Al Gore, to serve as executive producer keynote speaker of the Inaugural Green Ball and was Co-hosted by Van Jones. The Green Ball brought together more than 75 NGO organizations and sponsors to celebrate the Inaugural of Barack Obama and the new green economy. These organizations/ sponsors included The Amereican Wind Energy Association (AWEA), Google, Organic Soul by vegan chef Elijah Joy (EJOY), and Virgin Green Fund celebrating the new green economy. There were performances from John Legend, Melissa Etheridge, Maroon 5, will.i.am., and Michael Franti.
Wall is founder and CEO of Control Room, a company known for conception and creation of large-scale global music events, including Live Earth 2007, Live Earth India, and Nokia New Year’s Event.
Control Room served as executive producer on Live Earth 2007, Live Earth India, and Nokia New Year’s Eve, responsible for talent procurement, event production, and global media architecture across television, broadband and wireless.
Control Room has also produced and distributed single-artist events across Internet, radio, television, and mobile phones, platforms. including more than 100 shows since 2005, featuring international artists such as Madonna, Jay-Z, and Rihanna across a variety of networks and platforms around the world.
FIFA World Cup Kick-Off Celebration Concert
Kevin Wall and his company Control Room were selected as executive producer of the Official Kick-Off Celebration Concert of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa. The three-hour show took place on the eve of the 2010 FIFA World Cup on 10 June 2010 at 8:00 p.m. (GMT +2), at Orlando Stadium in Soweto, Johannesburg and featured collaborations between international stars and top African artists and appearances by football legends. The concert raised money for the world cup's official charity 20 Centres for 2010.
Artists who performed at the event include: Alicia Keys, Amadou & Mariam, Angelique Kidjo, The Black Eyed Peas, BLK JKS, Freshlyground, John Legend, Juanes, K'Naan Lira, Hugh Masekela, Shakira, The Parlotones, Tinariwen, Vieux Farka Touré, and Vusi Mahlasela. The event also included a tribute to Nelson Mandela by the Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
The concert, broadcast live in South Africa on SABC 1 and SuperSport 3, was the most watched entertainment event in recent history, drawing 8.5 million viewers in South Africa. It was carried live in the U.S. on ESPN2, ESPN Mobile TV, and streaming online at VEVO. ABC broadcast a 2-hour special the following night.
Craton Equity Partners
Wall is a general partner of Craton Equity Partners, a $200 million green-tech private equity fund.
Kevin Wall is a founder of Sustainable Holdings a company which has Joined forces with Dimensional Fund Advisors to launch a new fund which weights its holdings based on companies' sustainability scores. Sustainable Holdings has developed a proprietary algorithm to quantify environmental sustainability practices of public companies.
Shelter Capital Partners
A co-founder of Shelter Capital Partners, a $175 million venture capital fund, Wall invested in a dozen companies in the semiconductor, software and convergence sectors.
List of investments
Among Wall's dozens of existing investments are:
- BioMine, Inc.
- Blurb, Inc.
- Bread Labs, Inc.
- Deuces Digital
- Earthsong Organics, Inc.
- Edo Interactive, Inc.
- Facebook, Inc.
- FitFinder Limited
- Greenwave Reality Pte. Ltd.
- m-Via, Inc.
- nProgress, Inc.
- Omaze, LLC
- Payoff.com, LLC
- RecycleRewards, Inc. (RecycleBank)
- Savage River Farms
- Stockpile, Inc.
- Tadasana Festival
- Better Eating Concepts, LLC (Veggie Grill)
- Virtual Labs, Inc. (VYou)
- YBuy, Inc.
- Zumbox, Inc.
Awards and Boards
Wall is the proud recipient of a variety of entertainment and philanthropy awards, including: MIDEM Green Award Billboard Touring Conference Humanitarian Award Ad Age Marketer of the Year GQ Environmental Pillar Award Environmental Media Association Outstanding Achievement Award and the Ellis Island Medal of Honor.
Kevin Wall is a member of the board of directors for the Alliance for Climate Protection, Global Water Challenge, and Craton, where he is also a managing partner. He was an early advisor to Facebook and currently on the advisory boards of txteagle, KeVita, Recyclebank and m-via. He sits on the board of Greenwave Reality, and the UCLA Hammer Museum. Wall is also a member of the Producers Guild of America.
Wall is married to Susan Smalley, PhD., a professor at UCLA in the Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, who has done pioneering work in the genetics of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). She founded the Mindful Awareness Research Center (MARC) at UCLA’s Semel Institute for Neuroscience. They have three children.
- 2010 FIFA World Cup Kick-off Celebration Concert website, accessed 2012-04-09
- "Live Earth hopes action follows global concerts More than 150 artists to perform at events around the world," The Associated Press, July 2, 2007
- "Who's Behind Live 8," Live8live.com, accessed April 9, 2012
- "Wall Flowers - Kevin Wall of iXL Worldwide" Brandweek, July 20, 1998
- "NOMINEES FOR THE FIRST EMMY AWARD FOR INTERNET, CELLPHONES AND IPODS ANNOUNCED" emmyonline.org, April 10, 2006
- "Live in Bucharest: The Dangerous Tour (DVD)"
- Gundersen, Edna. "Big show, big impact? Live Earth hopes so," USA Today, 2007-07-05, accessed 2012-04-09,
- "RnetHealth.com, Inc. Appoints iXL Enterprises ViceChairman Kevin Wall As Chairman of Board of..." BusinessWire, August 3, 1999
- "Live Earth Producer Kevin Wall Partners with the Tadasana Festival," PRNewswire, 2012-01-31, accessed 2012-04-08.
- Roller Dome website
- Leonard, Devin,"Kevin Wall taps Al Gore and other rock stars to fight global warming," Fortune, July 6, 2007
- "IXL Acquires Denver-Based CCG Online; EnterpriseBecomes Undisputed Leader for Web Design in..." BusinessWire, April 1, 1998
- "Millions gather for Live 8 McCartney and U2 open London concert" CNN, July 3, 2005
- Powers, Raymond. "Sounding Circle: G8 Nations Summit Fails to Deal with Climate Change," 2005-07-13.
- "Live 8," One.org
- "Live 8 Global Music Concerts: Who Was Inspired to Perform to the Beat of Fighting Poverty in Africa?" The Rugged Elegance Inspiration Network, July 5, 2005
- Gupta, Shankar. "MSN To Stream Live Concerts," MediaPost Publications, Sept 28, 2006]
- Lee, Ken. "Al Gore, Cameron Diaz Announce Environmental Campaign," People, Feb 17, 2007.
- "Live Earth artists," BBC, accessed 2012-04-09.
- "Live Earth concerts aim to rally action against global warming," ChannelNewsAsia.com, July 6, 2007
- Billboard, January 15, 2009
- Daily Variety, July 5, 2007
- "Nokia New Year's Eve 2006," imdb.com, accessed 2009-07-27
- "Macy's Passport Celebrity Catwalk Challenge"
- "Control Room," imdb.com, accessed 2009-07-27
- "MSN and Control Room Team to Bring Music’s Biggest Performances to Fans Worldwide," Microsoft PressPass, September 26, 2006
- Wall Street Journal, April 28, 2008
- MediaWeek, November 15, 2007
- Journal de Montreal, September 29, 2007
- "Rihanna - The Most Streamlined MSN Artist," Huliq News, accessed 2009-07-27
- "Major concert to launch World Cup," http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8292894.stm, 2009-10-07, accessed 2010-10-07
- 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa, accessed 2010-03-19
- Alicia Keys, Shakira, Peas take part in 2010 World Cup concert, USAToday, 2010-07-11, accessed 2010-07-13
- World Cup Concert Draws Large Audience in South Africa, Reuters, 2010-07-11, accessed 2010-07-13
- ESPN2’s 24-Hour Countdown to Kickoff for 2010 FIFA World Cup June 10–11, ESPN2, accessed, 2010-07-13
- Live FIFA World Cup on ESPN Mobile TV with HTC EVO 4G and Other Sprint Phones, accessed 2010-07-13
- 2010 FIFA World Cup Kick-off Concert, Vevo.com, accessed 2010-07-13
- 2010 FIFA World Cup Kick-Off Celebration Concert, ABC.com, accessed 2010-07-13
- "Craton Equity Partners Homepage"
- "Update: Wall, Not Gore, in Talks with 'Plenty'," Portfolio.com, September 23, 2008
- "Art Bilger And Kevin Wall Launch Shelter Ventures, A Three Hundred Million Dollar VC Fund And Digital Business Incubator," Market Wire, February 28, 2005
- "INTRODUCING THE GREEN DEBATE WITHIN REED MIDEM," accessed 2009-07-27
- "Police, Timberlake Among Billboard Touring Award Finalists," Billboard.com, October 31, 2007
- "Entertainment Marketers 2008," AdAge.com, accessed 2009-07-27
- "Live Earth’s Kevin Wall Honored by GQ," Light Bulbs, October 21, 2008
- "2007 Environmental Media Association Awards," oneindia, October 26, 2007
- Craton Equity Partners - Team
- Control Room corporate website
- Bio on Live Earth website
- Tadasana Festival website
- Craton Equity Partners website
- Sustainable Holdings corporate site
- YBUY, Inc.'s corporate site
- Saving the planet, one chord at a time Los Angeles Times
- Live Earth hopes action follows global concerts Msnbc.com
- Three questions for Kevin Wall Salon.com
- Here Comes The Sun, Fortune Magazine