Kevin Ward (rugby league)
5 August 1957 |
|Height||180 cm (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||102 kg (16 st 1 lb)|
|Source: RLP Castleford Tigers Profile|
Kevin Ward (born 5 August 1957) born in Wakefield, is an English former rugby league footballer of the 1970s, '80s and 90s. A prop forward, and occasional hooker, he represented Castleford and St. Helens in England. He also played in Sydney for the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles. During his playing career, Ward was also chosen to represent Great Britain on twelve occasions. Ward was inducted into the Castleford Tigers Hall Of Fame.
Ward was selected to go on the 1988 Great Britain Lions tour. He was named man-of-the-match in the first Ashes Test. It was announced during the tour that Ward would rejoin Manly-Warringah for the remainder of their season once the tour was completed.
Ward won caps for Great Britain in 1984 against France, in 1986 against Australia (2 matches), in 1986 in the 1985–1988 Rugby League World Cup against Australia, in 1987 in the 1985–1988 Rugby League World Cup against Papua New Guinea, in 1988 against France (2 matches), in 1988 in the 1985–1988 Rugby League World Cup against Papua New Guinea, Australia (2 matches), in 1988 in the 1985–1988 Rugby League World Cup against Australia, and New Zealand, in 1989 against France (2 matches), in 1990 against Australia (2 matches), and in 1992 in the 1989–1992 Rugby League World Cup against Australia. His last international appearance was in the 1992 World Cup Final against Australia at Wembley.
His career ended on Good Friday (9 April) 1993 at Central Park, the old home of Wigan while playing for St Helens where Ward sustained a badly broken leg. He almost lost his leg in the weeks that followed. Even now he can't walk long distances, let alone run.
- "Hall of Fame at castigers.com". castigers. 31 December 2008. Retrieved 1 January 2009.
- "Sat 3rd May 1986 - Challenge Cup - Neutral Ground - 82,134". thecastlefordtigers. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Statistics at thecastlefordtigers.co.uk". thecastlefordtigers.co.uk ℅ web.archive.org. 31 December 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Tait, Paul (30 June 1988). "Ward's Return to lift Manly". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject.org. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Great Britain Statistics at englandrl.co.uk
- Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org
- Profile at thecastlefordtigers.co.uk
- Biography review at rl1908.com
- Profile at saints.org.uk