Kevin Watkins joined the Overseas Development Institute as Executive Director in June 2013. His research focuses on education, globalization and human development. He is a former nonresident senior fellow at the Center for Universal Education at the Brookings Institution. He was previously the director and lead author of the UNESCO's Education for All Global Monitoring Report.
Kevin Watkins has a BA in Politics and Social Science from Durham University. He also has a doctorate from Oxford University. He spent one year in India doing research for his dissertation: “The economics and politics of Indian Nationalism from 1880-1947”.
Kevin Watkins served as Researcher for the House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee (1983). He was then appointed as Head of International Development at the Catholic Institute for International Relations (1987-2001). He also became Head of Research in Oxfam (1991) where he covered issues such as debt relief, education, social policy and poverty.
- Human Development Report 2007/8
- Human Development Report 2006
- Human Development Report 2005
- EFA Global Monitoring Report 2011
- EFA Global Monitoring Report 2010
- EFA Global Monitoring Report 2009
He was Senior Visiting Research Fellow at the Global Economic Governance Programme at University College of the University of Oxford. He has participated on the World Economic Forum as a discussion leader on the IdeasLab on the Global Redesign Initiative (Values and People) in 2010. In addition, he is a board member of the Center for Global Development, UNICEF’s Innocenti Research Centre and the Journal of International Development. He also has a blog on The Guardian.
Most recently, he joined the Overseas Development Institute as Executive Director
- UNESCO biography
- The Oxfam education report 2000
- Education For All Global Monitoring Report
- Global Economic Governance Programme Biography
- World Economic Forum biography
- EFA Global Monitoring Report
- Mr. Kevin Watkins, Thematic round table on, "Education for the future - Changing needs", High-level Segment 2011 - ECOSOC
- Education for All Global Monitoring Report 2011
- Interview: Kevin Watkins (EFA-GMR Director)
- UN says world leaders must act to stop systematic rape of girls in conflict zones (The Guardian Article)
- Kevin Watkin's blog on the Guardian
- Kevin Watkins at the Doha Debates (6th of december 2010)
- The Human Development Reports