January 8, 1984 |
|June 10, 2011 for the New York Yankees|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||9.00|
Kevin J. Whelan (born January 8, 1984) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the Oakland Athletics organization. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the New York Yankees and the Detroit Tigers.
New York Yankees
He was called up by the Yankees on June 10, 2011 after recording a 1–1 won–loss record with a 1.67 earned run average and 18 saves as the closer for the Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees. He allowed four consecutive walks after recording two outs in his first ever appearance that same evening.
Return to Detroit
On February 22, 2014, the Tigers signed Whelan to a minor league deal. On August 11, the Tigers purchased his contract from the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens, and he was added to the 25-man active roster. Prior to being called up, Whelan had 20 saves for the Toledo Mud Hens, having allowed eight runs on 26 hits over 39 innings with 48 strikeouts. In Whelan's debut with the Tigers, he pitched 11⁄3 innings, allowing three hits, and two earned runs on back-to-back home runs. On August 16, Whelan was designated for assignment by the Tigers. The next day on August 17, the Tigers outrighted Whelan to Triple-A. He elected free agency in October 2014.
On November 1, 2014, the Oakland Athletics signed Whelan to a minor league contract.
- "Tigers deal three pitchers to Yankees for Sheffield". ESPN. Retrieved June 10, 2011.
- Calcaterra, Craig. "The Yankees add Kevin Whelan to the bullpen". NBC Sports. Retrieved June 10, 2011.
- "New York Yankees call up righty Kevin Whelan, option Chris Dickerson". ESPN. June 10, 2011. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- Sheldon, Mark (January 3, 2013). "Reds sign two righties and outfielder to Minors deals". MLB. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- "Detroit Tigers Add Kevin Whelan, Ian Krol and Justin Miller; Option Blaine Hardy and Pat McCoy".
- Beck, Jason (August 11, 2014). "Whelan grateful for chance to pitch for Tigers". MLB. Retrieved August 11, 2014.
- Louden, Michael (August 11, 2014). "Tigers sloppy play costs them against Pirates". WKZO. Retrieved August 11, 2014.
- Beck, Jason (August 17, 2014). "Tigers call up veteran Johnson to aid 'pen". MLB. Retrieved August 17, 2014.
- Schmehl, James (August 19, 2014). "Tigers reliever Kevin Whelan accepts assignment to Triple-A Toledo after being outrighted by Detroit". MLive. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- Polishuk, Mark (October 6, 2014). "Players Who Have Elected Minor League Free Agency". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- White, R.J. (November 1, 2014). "Athletics sign Kevin Whelan to minor-league deal". CBSSports. Retrieved November 1, 2014.