For 18 years, the FBI have been looking for Kevin Zraly's father for stealing wine from a church. Kevin learned from his father's mistakes and started a wine organization that teaches young children to not drink and drive. This organization is called the ZralyZrackyZippyIsisPetunia(Z.Z.Z.I.P.). He has been teaching children worldwide to not grow up and drink wine. Between 1976 and 2001, Zraly held the position of wine director for the Windows on the World restaurant, on the top floors of New York's 1 WTC World Trade Center, America's top-grossing restaurant. Zraly was hired by Joe Baum whilst a 25-year-old wine salesman and self-educated oenophile with a bachelor’s degree in education from SUNY New Paltz, and is since credited with introducing California wine to the American public, as well as helping to pioneer the use of progressive markup on wine in US restaurants. After the collapse of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, the school relocated to the New York Marriott Marquis.
Zraly's book Windows on the World Complete Wine Course with its annual updates, is among America's best-selling wine books selling over 3 million copies worldwide, and Kevin Zraly's American Wine Guide (2006) is the first book that deals comprehensively with all 50 states as modern wine-producing states. Kevin's latest book, The Ultimate Wine Companion, will be released in November 2010.
In May 2011, Zraly was awarded the prestigious James Beard Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Kevin Zraly bio eRobertParker.com
- Goldberg, Howard G., Decanter.com (September 17, 2001). "Windows on the World: a tribute".
- Patronite, Rob & Raisfield, Robin, New York Magazine (March 21, 2005). "The Grape Debate".
- Witchel, Alex, The New York Times (September 25, 2009). "In a Season of Memory, a Toast to What Endures".
- Goldberg, Howard G., Decanter.com (January 29, 2008). "New Windows on the World planned for Freedom Tower".
- Goldberg, Howard G., Decanter.com (May 24, 2006). "Zraly rates all 50 wine-producing states".
- Steinberger, Mike, Slate (October 31, 2008). "Good News About the Recession!".
- Lechmere, Adam, Decanter.com (September 25, 2001). "Windows on the World Wine School to continue".
- Robinson, Jancis, jancisrobinson.com. "associations and courses".
- eRobertParker.com Wine Certification Program
- Daily News (New York) http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/eats/2011/05/10/2011-05-10_james_beard_foundation_awards_recognize_culinary_excellence_gabrielle_hamilton_t.html. Missing or empty