Keychest is the technology that powers Disney Movies Anywhere, which is a digital movie locker for Disney movies. It stores iTunes purchases, and allows streaming of content over the web.
Contrasting from UltraViolet, a centrally managed Keychest server allows streaming access to the content. Purchasing content, either online or through physical media, creates a unique key stored in a digital rights locker that unlocks the ability to stream the content to any electronic device capable of playing it. Because the actual content remains on the servers as opposed to being downloaded and played locally, the manufacturers retain control of access to the files. This architecture is now the basis for Disney's movies anywhere app on iOS which directly links your apple ID and Disney movie rewards much like the linkage requirement of ultraviolet.
There are a number of potential obstacles to implementation. Studios, retailers and service providers will be the ultimate deciding factor when it comes to pricing the extra flexibility KeyChest promises to provide which could ultimately mean higher prices for features that some people may not specifically be interested in. In addition, attracting studios seems to be a challenging endeavour for Disney even though their approach says to be using more open standards than the competing UltraViolet system. Which leaves the biggest obstacle being the competing UltraViolet system as a whole which has the support of all the other major Hollywood movie studios with the only exception being the Walt Disney Studios.
- Mason, JG (October 21, 2009), Future-proof your movie purchases with Disney’s Keychest, retrieved December 4, 2009
- Indiviglio, Daniel (October 21, 2009), Disney's Keychest Technology, retrieved December 3, 2009
- Masnick, Mike (October 23, 2009), Disney's Keychest: Is Giving Back Your Fair Use Rights With More DRM Really A Step Forward?, retrieved December 3, 2009
- Healey, Jon (January 5, 2010), Disney offers KeyChest, but where is the KeyMaster?, retrieved December 8, 2011
- UltraViolet consortium membership http://www.uvvu.com/alliance-members.php