Keyinpedia(Simplified Chinese: 科印百科) is an online Chinese encyclopedia based in mainland China. It started operation in February, 2005. By November, 2006, keyinpedia contains 38,112 articles, many of which are the same as Wikipedia.
Being part of the website www.keyin.cn(Chinese: 科印网), which is under KeyinPrint Media, Keyinpedia is similar to Wikipedia, in terms of format and contents. Keyinpedia supports reading in four different Chinese written standards: Mainland Simplified Chinese, Taiwan Traditional Chinese, Singapore Simplified Chinese and Hong Kong Traditional Chinese.
Because of the Blocking of Wikipedia in mainland China, a few Chinese Internet companies have started to open Wikipedia-like Chinese language online encyclopedias. In April 2006, the search engine Baidu opened its own encyclopedia, known as Baidupedia or, more accurately, as Baidu Baike.
|Wikinews has related news: Chinese ban of Wikimedia enters tenth week|
|Meta has related information at: China block|
- China 'unblocks' Wikipedia site BBC News, 16 November 2006
- Chinese ban on Wikipedia prevents research, users say Globe and Mail, January 10, 2005.
- Reference Tool On Web Finds Fans, Censors Washington Post
- China and Internet Censorship CNN
- Access to Wikipedia Blocked - IFEX
- Chinese Wikipedia