||This article contains embedded lists that may be poorly defined, unverified or indiscriminate. (October 2008)|
Keyword research is a practice used by search engine optimization professionals to find and research actual search terms people enter into the search engines when conducting a search. Search engine optimization professionals research keywords in order to achieve better rankings in their desired keywords.[unreliable source?]
Potential barriers 
Existing brands 
If a company decides to sell Nike trainers online, the market is pretty competitive, and the Nike brand itself is Predominant. In other words, using a keyword tool to help choose the best key phrase is recommended. The tool gives statistics about the searches per month and the demographics of those searchers. Choosing a key phrase with many searches, such as "Nike Trainers," makes it more difficult to rank higher.
Sources of traditional research data 
- Google AdWords Keyword Tool, traffic estimator,[unreliable source?] Webmaster Tools; Google Suggest and Google Trends
- Wordtracker[unreliable source?]
- MSN Keyword Forecast
- Keyword Discovery
- Daniel Lofton (2010). "Importance of Keyword Research". Article Marketing HQ. Retrieved November 9, 2010.
- Patricia, Redsicker. "Findable Content Marketing: 3 Google Keyword Tool Tips". Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- Mike, Murray. "12 Tips for Keyword Selection to Guide Your Content Marketing SEO". Retrieved 13 February 2013.