|Habibullo Ismailovich Abdussamatov
Хабибулло Исмаилович Абдусаматов
October 27, 1940 |
Samarkand, Uzbek SSR, Soviet Union
|Alma mater||Samarkand State University
Leningrad State University
|Known for||Physics of the Sun
Global warming skepticism
Habibullo Ismailovich Abdussamatov (Russian: Хабибулло Исмаилович Абдусаматов; with initials transliterated either H.I. or K.I; born October 27, 1940 in Samarkand, Uzbek SSR, Soviet Union) is a Russian astrophysicist of Uzbek descent. He is the supervisor of the Astrometria project of the Russian section of the International Space Station and the head of Space research laboratory at the Saint Petersburg-based Pulkovo Observatory of the Russian Academy of Sciences. He is a global warming skeptic.
Anthropogenic warming skepticism
Abdussamatov claims that "global warming results not from the emission of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, but from an unusually high level of solar radiation and a lengthy—almost throughout the last century—growth in its intensity." This view contradicts the mainstream scientific opinion on climate change as well as accepted reconstructions of solar activity. He has asserted that "parallel global warmings—observed simultaneously on Mars and on Earth—can only be a straightline consequence of the effect of the one same factor: a long-time change in solar irradiance." This assertion has not been accepted by the broader scientific community, some of whom have stated that "the idea just isn't supported by the theory or by the observations" and that it "doesn't make physical sense."
Abdussamatov also contends that the natural greenhouse effect does not exist, stating "Ascribing 'greenhouse' effect properties to the Earth's atmosphere is not scientifically substantiated." He further states that "Heated greenhouse gases, which become lighter as a result of expansion, ascend to the atmosphere only to give the absorbed heat away." He has stated that more work is needed to model the effect. However, this effect cannot happen because the mean free path of molecules in the atmosphere is very short, transferring energy by collisions and preventing greenhouse gases from retaining the excess energy they absorb.
21st century mini-iceage
In early 2012, Abdussamatov predicted the onset of a new "mini-iceage" commencing 2014 and becoming most severe around 2055. His prediction gained traction in the press after the harsh 2013/2014 winter.
- Abdussamatov, H. I. (2004). Space solar limbograph. In Corbett, Ian F. "Multi-Wavelength Investigations of Solar Activity". Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union 2004 (AUS223) (Cambridge University Press). pp. 605–606. doi:10.1017/S1743921304006969.
- Abdussamatov, H. I. (2006). "Space-based solar limbograph". Journal of Optical Technology 73 (4): 242–244. doi:10.1364/JOT.73.000242.
- "Measure temporary variations of shape and diameter of the Sun, as well as fine structure and dynamics of the granulation on the Service module of the Russian segment of the International Space Station". Pulkovo Observatory of Russian Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- Pulkovo Observatory
- "Russian academic says CO2 not to blame for global warming | Russia | RIA Novosti". En.rian.ru. 2007-01-15. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Research | Research news | 2004 | How Strongly Does the Sun Influence the Global Climate?". Mpg.de. 2004-08-02. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- Sun's Activity Increased in Past Century, Study Confirms
- Lockwood, M.; Fröhlich, C. (2008). "Recent oppositely directed trends in solar climate forcings and the global mean surface air temperature. II. Different reconstructions of the total solar irradiance variation and dependence on response time scale". Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 464 (2094): 1367. Bibcode:2008RSPSA.464.1367L. doi:10.1098/rspa.2007.0347.
- "Look to Mars for the truth on global warming". National Post. Retrieved 2007-03-02.
- Ker Than (12 March 2007). "Sun Blamed for Warming of Earth and Other Worlds". Live Science. Retrieved 2007-09-06.
- Kate Ravilious. "Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scientist Says". National Geographic Society. Retrieved 2007-03-02.
- February 2, 2007 (2007-02-02). "Look to Mars for the truth on global warming". Canada.com. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "New Ice Age to Begin in 2014". Russia InfoCentre. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Think the past winter was bad? Get ready for mini Ice Age". Winnipeg Free Press. 2014-04-11. Retrieved 2014-06-12.
- His laboratory's webpage (in Russian) in English
- Feb. 2006 UPI wire story covering his prediction of a 'mini-ice age' in the mid-21st century.
- Feb. 2006 Pravda story on his solar cycle theory.
- Feb. 2007 article about Abdusamatov "Look to Mars for the truth on global warming", The Deniers (Part IX) by Lawrence Solomon.
- A photo of Abdussamatov