Khakyab Dorje, 15th Karmapa Lama
|Date of birth:||1871|
|Place of birth:||Sheikor, Tsang, Tibet|
|Birth name:||Khakyab Dorje|
|Date of death:||1922|
|Place of death:||?|
|Titles/Honours:||Karmapa, Lama, Rinpoche.|
|Part of a series on|
The fifteenth Karmapa, Khakyab Dorje (1871–1922), spoke the mantra of Chenrezig "Om mani peme hung" at his birth in Sheikor village in Tsang province in Central Tibet. Five years later he was able to read the scriptures.
In 1898 he travelled to Bhutan bestowing many transmissions. On his return to Tibet he took several consorts as his guru had predicted. In some rare cases, bhikshus are given permission by their lamas to do consort practices, but only lamas who have attained realisations may do so.
Unlike the previous Karmapas, Khakyab Dorje married Khandro Ugyen Tsomo, and fathered three sons, one of whom was recognised as the second Jamgon Kongtrul and another the twelfth Shamarpa, Jamyang Rinpoche.
Among his closest students were Situ Pema Wangchok Gyalpo (who Karmapa had recognised as the Tai Situpa reincarnation), Jamgon Palden Khyentse Ozer, the First Beru Khyentse and Lodro Mizay Jampa'i Gocha.
- Martin (2004), p. 289.
- Naher (2004), p. 221.
- Naher (2004), p. 222.
- Martin (2004), p. 290.
- The Sharmapa Incarnations
- Lama Kunsang, Lama Pemo, Marie Aubèle (2012). History of the Karmapas: The Odyssey of the Tibetan Masters with the Black Crown. Snow Lion Publications, Ithaca, New York. ISBN 1-55939-390-4.
- Martin, Michele (2003). Music in the Sky: The Life, Art, and Teachings of the 17th Gyalwa Karmapa Orgyen Trinle Dorje. Snow Lion Publications, Ithaca, New York. ISBN 1-55939-195-2
- Naher, Gaby (2004). Wrestling the Dragon: In Search of the Boy Lama Who Defied China. Rider, London. ISBN 1-84413-231-5.
- Thinley, Karma (2008). The History of Sixteen Karmapas of Tibet (in English). USA: Prajna Press. p. 150. ISBN 1-57062-644-8.
- "THE FIFTEENTH GYALWA KARMAPA, Khakhyab Dorje". 
|Reincarnation of the Karmapa||Succeeded by
Rangjung Rigpe Dorje