Khaled Abu Toameh
|Khaled Abu Toameh|
Abu Toameh writes for the Jerusalem Post and for the New York-based Gatestone Institute where he is a Senior Distinguished Fellow. He is a producer and consultant for NBC News since 1989. His articles have also appeared in U.S. News and World Report, the Wall Street Journal, World Tribune, Sunday Times, Daily Express, the Palestinian daily Al-Fajr and other newspapers.
Khaled Abu Toameh was born in the West Bank city of Tulkarem to an Israeli Arab father and a Palestinian Arab mother. He grew up in the Arab-Israeli town Baqa al-Gharbiyye. He received a B.A. in English literature from the Hebrew University and lives in Jerusalem.
Since 2002, Khaled Abu Toameh reports for the Jerusalem Post on Arab affairs. Since 1989 he has been a producer and consultant for NBC News. He has produced several documentaries on the Palestinians for the BBC, Channel 4, Australian, Danish and Swedish television.
Abu Toameh has served as a lecturer with the University of Minnesota – School of Journalism and Mass Communication. He has also lectured at the London School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), as well as the London-based think tank Chatham House.
Abu Toameh has spoken at the House of Commons of the United Kingdom by invitation. He was a keynote speaker at the 2009 annual conference of the Canadian Association of Journalists in Vancouver. He has spoken on the situation in the West Bank and Gaza Strip and prospects for peace in the Middle East at university campuses throughout the U.S. and Canada. A series of his talks have been sponsored by StandWithUs, and he spoke at their annual conference in Los Angeles in 2008.
In August 2011 Abu Toameh was invited to speak at the Sydney Institute in Australia on the challenge of Palestinian state-building. Two days later he also gave a talk on "Human rights challenges in the Palestinian territories" at a seminar organized by The Australian Human Rights Centre.
Views and opinions
In the Durban Review Conference, Toameh criticized Israeli Arab Knesset members for supporting extremism and calling Israel a "state of apartheid" rather than fighting for the rights of Arab citizens of Israel.
Abu Toameh says he is routinely subject to condemnations, and is often threatened. He notes, however, that more threats are coming from outside the Middle East than from within the Palestinian Authority, and that those who threaten him "roundly acknowledge" that he is telling the truth and don't question his reporting, but want him to "shut up." 
Facebook account incident
Following publication of his 2013 article "The Palestinian Authority's Inconvenient Truth", which is critical of the Palestinian Authority, the author's Facebook page was temporarily deactivated. It is unclear whether Facebook's action was taken in light of official complaints from the Palestinian Authority and Jordan or because other users flagged the posts as offensive.
Facebook reactivated his account but removed his article about the Palestinian Authority's corruption. Subsequently, Facebook issued an apology for the deletion of his article, calling it "an employee's error".
In response, Abu Toameh wrote in an op-ed that many journalists in the Middle East are forced to use Facebook to publish work that their own media will not accept. He also said, "It is the duty of Facebook and Western societies to side with those seeking freedom, and not to be complicit in suppressing their voices". In the same article, he decried the recent arrests of journalists and bloggers that were critical of the Palestinian Authority's leadership in their Facebook pages.
Recognition and awards
Abu Toameh received the 2014 Daniel Pearl Award. http://www.jpost.com/National-News/Abu-Toameh-wins-2014-Pearl-prize-for-journalistic-courage-351612 Abu Toameh shared Israel Media Watch's 2010 award for media criticism with the satirical Israeli website Latma.
On May 10, 2011, Khaled Abu Toameh won the Hudson Institute Award for Courage in Journalism.
Abu Toameh is the 2013 recipient of the Emet award given by the Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America (CAMERA).
- Analysis on prisoner exchange agreement between Hamas and Israel
- What do wealthy Arabs care about?
- Abu Toameh on controversy over Palestinian satirical show
- News story on Hamas violations against media
- Article in Jpost on freedom of media
- Palestinian journalist threatened by Palestinian Authority security forces in West Bank
- Mohammed Dahlan faces corruption, murder charges
- "Telling the Truth about the Palestinians". Meforum.org. 2004-04-27. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Arab world fed up with Hizbullah". Fr.jpost.com. 2006-07-17. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Fatah: We've lost the battle for Jerusalem". Fr.jpost.com. 2007-05-14. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Israeli Arabs Not Fifth Column". Hudsonny.org. 2009-12-01. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Why Salam Fayyad Can't Deliver". Hudsonny.org. 2010-04-20. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "The Palestinian victims no one talks about". Fullcomment.nationalpost.com. 2010-07-24. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Where Are the Voices of "Moderate" Muslims?". Hudson-ny.org. 2010-08-10. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "‘Palestine’s new bride’". JPost. 2010-08-20. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Hypocrites in Washington: What Egypt's Mubarak and Jordan's King Abdullah Really Want". Hudson-ny.org. 2010-09-03. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Why Abbas Wants to Kill Palestinians Who Do Businesss With Jews". Hudson-ny.org. 2010-09-24. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Mubarak's Media". Hudson-ny.org. 2010-09-21. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "The Gaza Strip: Why Is Washington Sticking Its Head in the Sand?". Hudson-ny.org. 2010-09-17. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "The Palestinian Authority: Silencing the Opposition". Hudson-ny.org. 2010-08-27. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "US, EU Support Violations of Human Rights as Palestinian Authority Escalates Repression, Brutality". Hudson-ny.org. 2010-12-24. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Gaza's Women: Who Is Defending Their Rights?". Hudson-ny.org. 2010-11-23. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Why Arab leaders Do Not Care About Medical Services In Their Countries". Hudson-ny.org. 2010-12-21. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Middle East's Western Media: Hypocrisy, Double Standards Out of Control". Hudson-ny.org. 2010-08-13. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "What About Hamas's Siege of Gaza?". Hudson-ny.org. 2010-06-08. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Abbas & Fayyad: Do They Have a Mandate?". Hudson-ny.org. 2010-08-24. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Intifada Over the Arab World?". Hudson-ny.org. 2011-01-11. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "Other Published articles ...". gatestoneinstitute.org.
- LIDMAN, MELANIE (2013-01-15). "Facebook temporarily bans 'Post' reporter". Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- Distinguished Scholars and Senior Advisors gatestoneinstitute.org
- Khaled Abu Toameh, Journalist
- Astor, Maggie (February 2, 2008). "Journalist Takes Even Handed Approach to Arab-Israeli Conflict". Columbia Daily Spectator. Retrieved January 8, 2011.
- Khaled Abu Toameh and the Israeli-Palestinian Dilemma
- Abu Toameh, Khaled (April 27, 2004). "Telling the Truth about the Palestinians". Middle East Forum. Retrieved January 8, 2011.
- "Jerusalem Post Correspondent Khaled Abu Toameh to speak on campus". Murphy Weekly. University of Minnesota School of Journalism & Mass Communication. 2009. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- Gavin Gross (2008). "Anti-Israeli Activity at the School of Oriental and African Studies: How Jewish Students Started to Fight Back". From Manfred Gerstenfeld ( ed.) Academics against Israel and the Jews. Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs. Retrieved 2010-04-29.
- "Meeting: An Israel Arab`s Perspective On Gaza, The New Palestinian Authority, Hamas And The Elections". Member Event, transcript included. Chatham House. April 2006. Retrieved 2010-04-29.
- "HJS Event Israel-Palestinian Relations". Transcript of remarks made at the House of Commons. Henry Jackson Society. December 2009. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Khaled Abu Toameh, Keynote". Annual Conference and Awards Gala 2009. Canadian Association of Journalists. 2009. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- Amalia Biro (March 2010). "Arab-Israeli conflict incites heated debate at Laurier". Laurier University News. Wilfrid Laurier University. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- Morgan Chalfant (April 2010). "Palestinian Journalist Speaks at BC". The Observer. Boston College. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- Rothstein, Roz (September 2008). StandWithUs "StandWithUs: A Grassroots Advocacy Organization Also On Campus". Institute for Global Jewish Affairs. Retrieved January 8, 2011.
- "Standwithus Announces Campus Tour Dates For Khalid Abu Toameh, Itamar Marcus, Neil Lazarus and Mitchell Bard". Scholars for Peace in the Middle East. October 28, 2007. Retrieved January 8, 2011.
- Greenberg, Brad A. (February 14, 2008). "L.A.‘s defenders of Israel". JewishJournal.com. Retrieved January 8, 2011.
- "Khaled Abu Toameh". The Sydney Institute. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "AHRCentre Seminar – Khaled Abu Tomah". University of New South Wales Faculty of Law, Kensington (Sydney Australia. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "AHRCentre invites you to a seminar with Khaled Abu Toameh". www.ahrcentre.org. Australian Human Rights Centre, Sydney, Australia. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- Islam Today, by Khaled Abu Toameh, May 18, 2009
- Traiman, Alex. "Censored by Facebook, journalist forges on as lonely dissenting Arab voice on PA". jns.org. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- The Palestinian Authority's Inconvenient Truth, by Khaled Abu Toameh, Jan 3, 2013
- Facebook 'censors' Palestinian writer posting anti-corruption articles
- Facebook closes Israeli Arab reporter's page
- "UPDATED: Facebook Closes Khaled Abu Toameh's Account". camera.org. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- Abu Toameh, Khaled. "Facebook's "Accidental Mistake" and Free Speech in the Arab World". Gatestone Institute, International Policy Council. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- Hartman, Ben (January 3, 2011). "‘Post’ reporter, Latma site win award for media criticism". Jerusalem Post. Retrieved December 8, 2010.
- Post's Khaled Abu Toameh gets Hudson award – JPost – Headlines
- Arab Spring a mask for ruthless men
- "CAMERA to honor Post's Khaled Abu Toameh with Emet Award". Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "The Top 100 People Positively Influencing Jewish Life (INTRODUCTION)". The Algemeiner. April 25, 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "Khaled Abu Toameh". Facebook.com. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Palestinian Journalists facing challenges, threats". Jpost.com. 2010-03-31.
- "Abbas fires Husseini over sex scandal". JPost. 2010-07-04.
- "PA affirms death penalty for land sales to Israelis". Jpost.com. 2010-09-20.
- "Journalist Discusses Hamas Win". Chicagomaroon.com. 2006-02-13.
- Wanted: Arab Palestinian «Peace Now» movement
- "Journalist says only truth will set Palestine free". The Australian. 2010-05-15.
- "Arab-Israeli journalist visits UO | Oregon Daily Emerald". Dailyemerald.com. 2008-04-06.