front page of 16 June 2013
|Owner(s)||Galadari Brothers Group
Suhail Galadari (director)
|Publisher||Galadari Printing and Publishing|
|Founded||16 April 1978|
History and profile
The Galadari Brothers began publishing the daily on 16 April 1978, making it the first English daily in the UAE. The daily is published in Sharjah. The newspaper was also partially owned by the UAE government. However, in 2008 the government's share was raised. In addition, the government took over the daily's management and appointed a new editor-in-chief.
The staff of the paper are mostly Indian and Pakistani journalists. The broadsheet comprises the general news section, the business pages and a lively sports section. Khaleej Times is not audited and it is believed to print around 150,000 copies, making it one of the most popular English language newspapers in the Gulf. Additionally, it covers Bahrain, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar and Saudi Arabia through a dedicated distribution network. The newspaper also consists of Special Reports and Supplements which allow for community advertisements and other services. Its main competitors are 7DAYS, The National and Gulf News.
The Classified is a separate tabloid of 28 to 32 pages published daily along with the Khaleej Times main paper. It carries local advertisements about cars, real estate, recruitment, educational services and matrimonial announcements.
Wknd Magazine, is published on Fridays along with the broadsheet, discusses a range of topics that are of interest to men, women and children. Stories are balanced between topics and themes of local interest and international relevance.
Khaleej Times Online is the global face of the newspaper on the internet. The online version offers additional stories and exclusives not found in its print paper.
Khaleej Times Supplement also publishes special pages upon the national days of the nations such as UAE, Pakistan, India.
- "Shining through". Khaleej Times Magazine. 19 October 2012. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
...welcomed warmly by Suhail Abdul Latif Galadari, Director of Galadari Brothers...
- Reinisch, Lisa. "Environmental Journalism in the UAE" (PDF). Arab Media Society. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- Ibrahim Al Abed, Peter Hellyer, Peter Vine (2006). United Arab Emirates Yearboook 2006. Trident Press Ltd. p. 264. ISBN 978-1-905486-05-2. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- Peyman Pejman (Winter 2009). "English newspapers in the United Arab Emirates: Navigating the crowded market". Arab Media and Society (7).
- Anantha S. Babbili; Sarwat Hussain (1994). "United Arab Emirates". In Yahya R. Kamalipour; Hamid Mowlana. Mass Media in the Middle East:A Comprehensive Handbook. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press. p. 299. Retrieved 27 September 2013. – via Questia (subscription required)
- The Report: Dubai 2007. Oxford Business Group. 2007. p. 211. ISBN 978-1-902339-77-1. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- "New chairman for Khaleej Times". TradeArabia. 22 September 2008. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "Dubai takes 30% stake in Galadari group". Gulf News. 13 October 2006. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
... family-owned group in the emirate that publishes the Khaleej Times...
- Hope, Bradley (7 September 2008). "The 30-year-old Khaleej Times is on a recruiting drive". The National. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "UAE Media Sustainability Index" (PDF). IREX. 2009. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "Forbes Releases Top 50 MENA Online Newspapers; Lebanon Fails to Make Top 10". Jad Aoun. 28 October 2010. Retrieved 11 September 2014.