|• Total||28 km2 (11 sq mi)|
|Elevation||254 m (833 ft)|
|• Density||4,600/km2 (12,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Khanna is a Punjabi word, which means one quarter (1/4 or 0.25). The city was named thus because it used to be very small, just a quarter of what a normal city should be.
Khanna has the largest grain market in Asia, followed by the grain market of Rajpura (Punjab).It is also famous for best couple matches of boys from Khanna and girls from Rajpura for wedding. Khanna is an ancient town which came into existence 500 years back. History reveals that Sher Shah Suri built a number of sarais (inns) at every 12 to 15 miles along the Delhi-Lahore road. One of the sarais was built in this area which is still known as the Purani Sarai. After the decline of Mughal rule in the Punjab, Banda Bahadur captured the area from Sirhind to Hoshiarpur. After that a jathedar of Dahedu controlled and occupied the whole of the area from Dahedu to Nabha. He married his daughter, Daya Kaur, to the King of Nabha. When a family dispute arose between the King and his new wife, she left Nabha for good and went back to live with her parents in Dahedu. According to Indian conventions she could not remain there forever. Therefore, her father gave her a "kann", or a "small portion", of the territory between Dahedu and Nabha that was well known for its agriculture. Over time, the pronunciation of the name changed from "Kann" to "Khanna".
The city is 40 km from the city of Ludhiana on the Grand Trunk Road (National Highway 1) and is home to Asia's largest grain market. Its area is about 70 km2. Villages nearby include Payal, Ikolaha, Rahoun, Issru, Harion Kalan and Boothgarh, Bulepur, Rasulra, Ghutind, Bhattian, Libra, Bahumajra.
As per provisional data of 2011 census Khanna had a population of 128,130, out of which males were 67,811 and females were 60,319. The literacy rate was 84.43 per cent.
Khanna has Following school/colleges:
- Green Grove Public School
- Spring Dale Public School
- Sacred Heart Convent Senior Secondary School
- A. S. Group Of College
- A.S. College for Women
- A.S. College of Education
- Lala Sarkaru Mal Sarvhitkari Sr. Sec. Vidya Mandir (LSMS)
- Vivek Model High School, Khanna
- A.S. Sr Secondary School.
- Gulzar Group of Institutes (GGI)
- R.V Women college.
- Sanjeevni Nursing College
- Hindi Putri Pathshala
- Green Grove Public School
- Delhi Public School,Khanna
- Sacred Heart Convent Sen.Sec School, New Narotam Nagar,Rattanheri Road. 01628-2327316.
- Swami Chhagan lal lala Hans Raj Jain Public Sen. Sec. School, Amloh Road KHANNA
- Sachkhoj Academy: An academy of Spiritual Education run by Dharam Singh Nihang Singh
A.S. College is the first college in Ludhiana district rural which was granted A+ grade by National Accreditation and Assessment of Colleges(NAAC).NAAC is accreditation agency of the Government of India.
S.S. Dullo, the Ex-President PPCC is a resident of Khanna. S.Bachan singh Cheema won two elections beating S.S Dullo twice in 1977 and 1997.He was considered as the man of masses. Bikramjit Singh Khalsa is the Member of Legislative Assembly of Punjab from Khanna (on dated 2011-07-15).Vihaan Singh Kanwal Is Youth Akali Dal Delegate And Grandson Of Sulekh Ram Kanwal Khanna's Biggest House Is Named After Him.Rahul Shukla is Distt Delegate of the youth congress.S.Amar Singh Chaunda,Ex-Deputy Commissioner (E&T deptt. pb.),is the MEMBER Working Committee,Shiromani Akali Dal Badal.and his son S.Baljinder Singh Chaunda,is the Organising Secretary,Distt. Ludhiana (R),Shiromani Akali Dal Badal.
Schools of Khanna
Sacred Heart Convent Senior Secondary School, Vivek model high school, A.s. Modern Sen. Sec. School, Radha Vatika Sen Sec School, Atam Manohar Jain Modern School,Hindi Putri Pathshala,D.A.V Public School, Lala Sarkaru Mal Sarvhitkari Vidya Mandir, Green Grove School, Swami Chhagan Lal School,Spring Dale Public Senior Secondary School (khanna Khurd), Walia English Model School,Robin Model High School,Khalsa High School,D.a.v. Sr. Sec. Model School Khanna,G T B High School Model Town,Inder Prasth Public School,Himalaya Public Sen. Sec School,Delhi Public School,Narotam Vidya Mandir,Govt. Girl's Sr. Sec. School,Saffron City School, S D Public School Amloh Road Khanna, Chiragdeep Open School Samadhi Road Khanna, Sachkhoj Academy.
- "Over 75% polling in Khanna, Samrala". News in English. The Tribune. January 31, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "khanna in need of major spruce-up". News in English. The Tribune. January 17, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Khanna". Ludhiana district official website. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above". Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-07-07.