|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010)|
|District||Rahim Yar Khan|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+5)|
The city is a centre for sugarcane and cotton agriculture. It is one of the largest Tehsils of the Rahim Yar Khan District, in terms of its area. The famous Cholistan Desert is mainly located in the Khanpur area. There are many places in Pakistan named Khanpur, but only two of them have the status of Tehsil, and the other one is in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Khanpur is a strong candidate for becoming a District, as it had the status of District in the British Era until 1938.
Language and Demography
According to the census of 1998, the city population was 117,764 with an annual growth rate of 2.6%. The majority of the population is Muslim and speaks Punjabi in Majhi and Riasti dialects of the Punjabi language. As of 2009, the recorded population of Khanpur was 156,152.
Its old large market areas and Bazaar are clear evidence of the old saga of this city. Its long adjoining Shahi Road leads to many cities such as Rahim Yar Khan on one side and Liaquat Pur and Bahawalpur on the other side. In the old times Khanpur is famous for its bowl makers. Khanpur is also known as "Sahipur" named before the great scholar Gil Sahi (Late). Chachran (Sharif) is a small town (a Kasba) located in tehsil Khanpur along with Indus River and approximately 35 km away from Khanpur city is the birthplace of Khawaja Ghulam Fareed (The national poet of saraiki). Only Urban Town of Tehsil Khanpur namely Zahir Pir is situated about 22 kilometres (14 mi) from Khanpur city on National Highway (N-5)(KLP Road), having population of more than 100,000.
In 997 CE, Sultan Mahmud Ghaznavi, took over the Ghaznavid dynasty empire established by his father, Sultan Sebuktegin, In 1005 he conquered the Shahis in Kabul in 1005, and followed it by the conquests of Punjab region. The Delhi Sultanate and later Mughal Empire ruled the region. The Punjab region became predominantly Muslim due to missionary Sufi saints whose dargahs dot the landscape of Punjab region.
Khanpur was established in 1848, and had the status of district headquarters in British Era till 1938. but later on this status was given to the city of Rahim Yar Khan. Khanpur (Khanpur Katoora) is one of the oldest cities of the Punjab.
The predominantly Muslim population supported Muslim League and Pakistan Movement. After the independence of Pakistan in 1947, the minority Hindus and Sikhs migrated to India while the Muslims refugees from India settled down in the Rahim Yar Khan District.
|Climate data for Khanpur|
|Record high °C (°F)||29.4
|Average high °C (°F)||21.8
|Daily mean °C (°F)||13.1
|Average low °C (°F)||4.4
|Record low °C (°F)||−3.3
|Precipitation mm (inches)||4.4
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||261.3||244.3||269.9||287.1||310.4||283.5||274.9||293.8||289.7||307.2||287.9||260.5||3,370.5|
|Source: NOAA (1961–1990)|
Agriculture is the main livelihood of Khanpur's residents. The major crops grown in the region are cotton, sugarcane, wheat, rice, and vegetables.vegetables specially carrots is a very famous in winter season in khanpur. Although Khanpur was originally a major cotton growing area, it has now shifted towards being a major sugarcane growing region. The Average yield of Sugarcane crop is 748.15 Mnds/Acre (2011–12), which is greater than the average yield of World and Pakistan. Vegetables are grown widely in scattered areas, and the number of greenhouses is increasing every year.
Khanpur has many public and private educational institutions.Mohammad Yar Khan Dahir was a first graduate of riasat bahawalpur belongs to khanpur.He did his graduation in 1905 from Government College Lahore GCU. A campus of university of education Lahore is located here for B.Ed, M.Ed and ADE studies. Mrs Bano Hashmat is the first Lady Principal of this College. The Government Post Graduate College for Boys and girls provides education in many disciplines. There are three High schools in Khanpur .
- Government Model High school
- Government TT high school
- Government colony high school
There are two Government colleges also in the Khnapur.
- Government Taraki Taleem (TT) College Khanpur.
- Government Commerce College Khanpur.
In the private sector prominent colleges are:
- Alpine College Khanpur.
- Albarkat College Khanpur.
- Grace Institute of Computer and Sciences*
- Nicaas College Khanpur (Quality Never Fails)
Private Schools of khanpur are:
- Meadows Grammar School.
- Young Misali Cadet Public School Khanpur.
- CENTRAL PUBLIC SCHOOL KHANPUR (Determination, Dignity, Discipline)
- Alpine Secondary Schools.
- Alasar Model School.
- Hafiz Ahmad Mahmood High School Khanpur..
- Rangers Public School..
- Al-Barkat School System.
- IQRA Public School, Khanpur
- GOLDEN GATE SECONDARY SCHOOLS KHANPUR.
- White House Grammar School.
- Ali School of Sciences.
- Sir Syed Model School.
- The Educators.
- The Kids Valley.
- Laraib Model School.
- The Convent Lycetuff.
- Angels Heaven Montessori.
- Crescent Model Public School.
- Khanpur Grammar School.
- Gazzali School.
- Missali Hira Cadet School.
- The Horizon Schooling System.
- The City School.
- The Knowledge.
- Al Mudassar Public School
Khanpur is also known as Khanpur Katora ("Katora" an Urdu word meaning "bowl") for producing clay bowls. The city is known for its sweets specially for its Peras, Khoya, Sohanhalwah and among fruits the region produces "oranges" known as "Khanpuri Malta" (Khanpur's Orange).
Well Known Places
Well known places in Khanpur include:
- Govt Model High School- It is very famous for its three play grounds where in the evening sports come up to its climate including football, cricket and volleyball. Some gamblers also make it casino in the corners of the ground playing cards. Annual football tournaments on District, Division,Province and country level are also organized in this ground by well known "KARWAN" football club.
- Model Town Road- You can call it food street of khanpur. In the evening food stalls are endured by the road and it is fun sitting near the road and enjoying different types of food while watching people roaming about. Dubai Shopping Mall is the Heart of Shopping Located on Katchehri Road. Katchehri Road is also famous for Banking Sector as Abundant International and National Banks are located on this road.
- City Park- It is the recreation park for children and families. People like to visit this park at weekend.
Telefilms and dramas
Dramas and Telefilms are very popular in Khan Pur. There are many producers, actors and actresses that play a key role in making Saraiki Telefilms and Stage Dramas.
- Health Facilities are adequate in Khanpur. The Civil Hospital located at Baldia Chowk is Equipped with All Health Facilities. The Punjab Government Started Operations of Rescue 1122 in Khanpur From 28-05-2013 till present. They are serving their best in Emergency Conditions and saving thousands of lives. The Service is fast enough that the reaches everywhere in city in emergency conditions in just 3 minutes.
- Some Private Doctors are serving the Khanpur People from a couple of decades. Some Famous Names Include Dr. Fazal Mehmood, Dr. Tariq Shad, Dr. Yaqoob, Dr. Tariq Mehmood, Dr. Hassan Mehmood, Dr. Hussain Akhtar, Dr. Jam Jamil, Dr. Abid Nazeer Rana, Dr.Idrees Anjum, Dr. Waris Shah, Dr. Hamid Kamal, Dr. Inaam, and Many Others......!
- Saraiki people
- Punjabi people
- Liaquat Pur
- Rahim yar Khan
- Bahawalpur (princely state)