|Named for||Education Hub Of Punjab|
|• Type||Municipal Council|
|• Body||M.C. Kharar|
|Elevation||297 m (974 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Kharar, which has been shifted from Rupnagar District to Mohali District, is developing quickly as a result of being adjacent to Chandigarh. This has given shape to a lot of colonies approved by GMADA being developed in the city, prominent among these being Model Town, Shivalik Enclave, Sunny Enclave and Gillco Valley. Kharar has 1 Engineering college and 2 nos. polytechnic as well as B.Ed / Education & Law College .
A major area of Kharar has been allocated to the GMADA (Greater Mohali Development Authority) for further development in 2006.
Kharar is located at  It has an average elevation of 297 metres (974 feet). Mohali is the district of Kharar and kharar itself has tehsil..
Climate: Temperature could rise up to 47 degree Celsius in summers, whereas the temperature in the winters could drop down to 0 degree Celsius. Rainy period is mostly in the months from June to September where the city receives the maximum rainfall. Summers are known to be more hot and humid. Winters are colder and fog occurs in most of the winter season, mainly in the months of December and January.
As of 2001[update] India census, Kharar had a population of 39,410. Males constitute 54% of the population and females 46%. Kharar has an average literacy rate of 75%, higher than the national average of 59.5%. The male literacy rate is 79%; the female literacy rate is 72%. In Kharar, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- State Bank of Patiala, near District Court
- Syndicate bank, near Civil Hospital Kharar
- Punjab National Bank
- Union Bank of India
- HDFC Bank
- ICICI Bank
- Yes Bank
- Vijaya Bank
- IndusInd Bank
- Bank of Baroda
- Punjab & Sind Bank
- cooperative bank
- punjab gramin bank
- Chopra Enterprises is also situated in Main bazaar kharar. This shop is also one of historical shop in kharar and has been running since 1977.
- North Country Mall, opp Sunny Enclave, Kharar
- Main Bazaar is the main market in Kharar, It starts from Pakka Darwaza and end at Bhooru chownk front of Khalsa School. Now market starts from entry from Landran Road and it includes the road approaching Bansaan Wali Chungi.
- Sunny Enclave Market
- Gilco Valley Market
In Kharar Ram Baag, Dushehra Ground, Ram Bhavan is also in it. These are too much croudy areas and Traffic Problem.
STD Code of Kharar City is 0160-xxxxxxx. pin code is 140301
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Kharar
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.