Kharbatha Bani Harith
|Kharbatha Bani Harith|
|• Arabic||خربثا بني حارث|
|• Also spelled||Kharbatha al-Harithiyya (official)|
|Governorate||Ramallah & al-Bireh|
|• Type||Village Council|
|• Jurisdiction||7,120 dunams (7.12 km2 or 2.75 sq mi)|
|Name meaning||"The Ruins of the Sons of Harith"|
Kharbatha Bani Harith (Arabic: خربثا بني حارث) is a Palestinian town in the central West Bank, located 15 kilometers west of Ramallah in the Ramallah and al-Bireh Governorate. The name of the town is probably a corruption of Khirbat Bani Harith (ruins of sons of Harith). According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics, the town had a population of 2,846. Nearby towns and villages include Bil'in to the south, Ras Karkar to east, and Deir Qaddis to the west. It has a total land area of 7,120 dunams.
In the 1882 "Survey of Western Palestine", the village, called Khurbetha Ibn Harith, was described as being of medium size, with a well on the west, "standing on high ground among the olive trees."
In the 1922 census of Palestine, conducted by the British Mandate authorities, Kharbata had a population of 338, all Muslim. In the 1931 census it had increased to a population of 469, still all Muslim, in 102 inhabited houses.
In 1945 the population of Kharbata was 650, all Arabs, who owned 7,120 dunams of land according to an official land and population survey. 2,788 dunams were plantations and irrigable land, 591 used for cereals, while 9 dunams were built-up (urban) land.
- Palmer, 1881, p. 237
- 2007 PCBS Census. Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics. p.114.
- Petersen, Andrew. The Towns of Palestine Under Muslim Rule 600-1600.
- Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 155
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, II, p. 294
- J. B. Barron, ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine. Table VII, Sub-district of Ramleh.
- E. Mills, ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine. p. 21.
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in S. Hadawi, Village Statistics, 1945. PLO Research Center, 1970, p. 67
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in S. Hadawi, Village Statistics, 1945. PLO Research Center, 1970, p. 115
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in S. Hadawi, Village Statistics, 1945. PLO Research Center, 1970, p. 165
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970), Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine, Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center
- Hütteroth, Wolf-Dieter; Abdulfattah, Kamal (1977). Historical Geography of Palestine, Transjordan and Southern Syria in the Late 16th Century. Erlanger Geographische Arbeiten, Sonderband 5. Erlangen, Germany: Vorstand der Fränkischen Geographischen Gesellschaft.
- E. Mills, ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Welcome To Kharbata
- Kharbatha Bani Harith Village (Fact Sheet)
- Kharbatha Bani Harith Village Profile
- Kharbatha Bani Harith Areal photo