Khon Kaen University
|Khon Kaen University|
|Motto||"Knowledge, Virtues, Wisdom"
("วิทยา จริยา ปัญญา"; "Witthaya Chariya Panya")
|President||Assoc. Prof. Dr. Kittichai Triratanasirichai|
|Admin. staff||2,075 (2007)|
|Location||Khon Kaen, Thailand
|Symbolic tree||Cassia bakeriana|
Khon Kaen University (Thai: มหาวิทยาลัยขอนแก่น) or KKU (มข.) is a public research university in Thailand. It was the first university established in Northeastern Thailand and remains the oldest and largest university in the region. The university is a central hub of education in northeast Thailand. It is an internationally recognized university in Asia. These days, KKU offers a wide range of programs: Its comprehensive academic program offers 105 undergraduate majors, along with 129 master's degree programs and 59 doctoral programs. Khon Kaen University was ranked 21st in South East Asia by Time Higher Education in 2009, and the 4th in Thailand by The Office of Higher Education Commission.
In 1941, during the reign of the King Ananda Mahidol and during the time of Field Marshal Pibulsonggram as prime minister, they had a plan to improve continued education throughout Thailand. There were plans to open a university in the Ubon Ratchathani province, but the Second World War had broken out. Thailand was militarily forced into siding with Japan. Plans to build universities in northeast Thailand had fallen through. It wasn't until 1960 that plans to open institutions of further instruction in the northeast would continue.
In 1962 the proposition to open an institution of further education in the fields of engineering and advanced agriculture passed. Thus the Khon Kaen Institute of Technology was born. After this it became known as the University of North East Thailand. Because there was no government office that would take responsibility of managing the university directly, the government set up a national education council. This council was responsible for establishing national curriculum and obtaining assistance from abroad.
In 1963 the faculty's subcommittee established that the campus would be located approximately four kilometres from the city of Khon Kaen and would occupy approximately 3 300 000 square metres. In 1965 the prime minister's office officially changed the name of University of North East Thailand to Khon Kaen University. The university also received the ability to control its own affairs.It was a tradition for Khon Kaen University students from the faculties of Engineering and Agriculture to engage in an annual inter-faculty sports brawl at the university's sports fields.
Faculties and colleges
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Associated Medical Sciences
- Faculty of Technology
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Nursing
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Management Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Fine and Applied Arts
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Architecture
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Faculty of Public Health
- Graduate School
- Nong Khai Campus
- College of Local Administration
- International College (KKUIC)
- College of Graduate Study in Management (MBAKKU)
The Tropical Feed Resources Research and Development Centre (TROFREC) is headed by Professor Dr. Metha Wanapat. The centre is one of the leading research centers on feed resources and animal feedings in Asia. It embraces numerous aspects of animal feed resources ranging from local resources (e.g., rice straw, urea-treated rice straw, cassava hay, cassava chip processed new products cassarea, cass-bann, cass-soy pellet, cassava hay-urea pellet, high-quality feed block, carabao rumen ecology, etc.), to animal herb-based supplement to increase animal productivity, environmentally friendly related and to improve rural farmers' income, livelihood and well-being.
- South West University or Xinan University,
- Adelaide University,
- Deakin University,
- Gifu University,
- Hue University,
- International University,
- Kochi University,
- Kyoto University,
- Nanzan University,
- National University of Laos,
- Mie University,
- Muhammadiyah University,
- Osaka University,
- Saga University,
- Thai Nguyen University,
- University of Canberra,
- University of Sydney,
- Fujita Health University,
- National University of Singapore,
In 2012, KKU won the bid to host University and high school students from schools from across the country for the eighth year that the European Union sponsors a Thailand National Inter-varsity Debate Tournament (EUTH) modeled on the European Universities Debating Championship (EUDC).
- Somsak Kiatsuranont: Speaker of the House of Representatives of Thailand
- Apichatpong Weerasethakul: film director, screenwriter, and film producer
- Surapong Tovichakchaikul: the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Thailand
- http://www.mua.go.th/infodata/50/teacher50.xls (Thai)
- http://www.mua.go.th/infodata/50/all_2550.xls (Thai)
- "Strengthening academic ties with Thailand" (Press release). IU International Relations Office. 2007-03-21. Retrieved 2007-04-24.
- "European Union Thailand National Debate Tournament Moves from Bangkok to the Northeast" (News > Commentary). Isaan Record. October 30, 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-10-31. Retrieved October 31, 2011. "KHON KAEN-For the past seven years, the European Union has sponsored the European Union Thailand National Inter-varsity Debate Tournament (EUTH) with the objective of stimulating critical thinking, democratic values, and English proficiency among Thai youth. However, this year marks a first for the event as organizers moved the tournament outside of the capital in an effort to expand beyond the predominantly Bangkok-based participants."
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Khon Kaen University.|