Khorgas (simplified Chinese: 霍尔果斯; traditional Chinese: 霍爾果斯; pinyin: Huò'ěrguǒsī, Uyghur: قورعاس, ULY: Qorğas), also known as Huoerguosi, Huocheng, Khorgos, Chorgos and Gorgos, is a Chinese town near the border with Kazakhstan. It is located in Huocheng County in the Ili Kazakh Autonomous Prefecture of Xinjiang Autonomous Region. The town on the Kazakh side of the border is also known as Khorgas (Kazakh: Қорғас, Qorğas, Russian: Хоргос, Khorgos; the train station there is Altynkol (Russian: Алтынколь).
Passenger trains from Ürümqi (started on July 1, 2010), however, initially only ran to Yining, and not all the way to Khorgos. One of the daily Ürümqi-Yining passenger trains was extended to Khorgos in December 2013. The travel time from Khorgos to Yining is just over an hour.
In December 2011, a 293-km railway from the Khorgos border crossing to Zhetygen terminal (near Almaty) was completed; the tracks from the Chinese and Kazakhstan sides of the borders were connected on December 2, 2012. For some months, the railway on the Kazakh side was still operating in a test mode. The railway border crossing (port of entry) at Khorgos will become operational in the late 2012;) the first regular trains from the two countries crossed the border on December 22, 2012.
The railway border crossing is expected handle up to 15 million tons of freight per year initially, the volume rising to 30 million tons per year in the long run, opening up the second Europe-China rail link via Kazakhstan.
- Victory of Khorgos
- "Xingjiang’s first electrified railway rails laid". People's Daily Online. 2009-09-17. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- Zhaoqian, ed. (2010-06-22). "Tickets of train from Urumqi to Yining put on sale". Tianshannet. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Xinjiang's first electrified railway passenger train". China Central Television. 2010-07-07. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- 霍尔果斯往乌鲁木齐方向首趟客运列车正式开通 (The first Khorgos-Ürümqi passenger train started regular operations), 2013-12-26
- 写在中国霍尔果斯至哈萨克斯坦阿腾科里铁路通车运营之际, 2012-12-23
- Хоргос-Жетыген: уже летом первые поезда соединят Китай с Европой (Already this summer first trains will connect China with Europe), 2012-03-16 (Russian)
- 新疆霍尔果斯火车站获批成立 年底有望通车, 中国新闻网, 2012-11-23
- Revival of the Silk Road
- Xinjiang's Land Ports and Border Trade
- see www.battle-of-qurman.com.cn for more information on the conquest of Khorgos and the whole of Xinjiang in 1755-1759
|This Xinjiang location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|