Khost Province

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Khowst Province)
Jump to: navigation, search
Khost
خوست
Province
U.S. soldiers in Khost province (June 2013)
U.S. soldiers in Khost province (June 2013)
Map of Afghanistan with Khost highlighted
Map of Afghanistan with Khost highlighted
Coordinates (Capital): 33°24′N 69°54′E / 33.4°N 69.9°E / 33.4; 69.9Coordinates: 33°24′N 69°54′E / 33.4°N 69.9°E / 33.4; 69.9
Country  Afghanistan
Capital Khost
 • Abdul Jabbar Naeemi (Governor)
Area
 • Total 4,152 km2 (1,603 sq mi)
Population [1]
 • Total 546,800
 • Density 130/km2 (340/sq mi)
Time zone UTC+4:30
Area code(s) AF-KHO
Main languages Pashto

Khost (Pashto: خوست‎) is one of the 34 provinces of Afghanistan, located in the eastern part of the country next to Pakistan's Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA). Khost province used to be part of Paktia province in the past. The city of Khost serves as the capital of Khost province. The population of the province is around 546,800,[1] which is mostly a tribal society. Khost Airport serves the province for domestic flights to Afghanistan's capital, Kabul.

Development[edit]

In September 2011, work on the construction of an airport in Khost Province began. It is estimated the airport will cost $2.5 million. The funds for the project are being provided by the Afghan government. The airport will be located in a desert between Ismailkhel and Tani District.

Politics and governance[edit]

The current governor of the Province is Abdul Jabbar Naeemi.[2] The city of Khost is the capital of Khost province. All law enforcement activities throughout the province are controlled by the Afghan National Police (ANP). The border of Afghanistan's Khost province with neighboring Pakistan's FATA is monitored and protected by the Afghan Border Police (ABP), which is part of the ANP. The border is called the Durand Line and is known to be one of the most dangerous in the world due to heavy militant activities and illegal smugglings. A provincial police chief is assigned to lead both the ANP and ABP. The police chief represents the Ministry of the Interior in Kabul. The ANP is backed by other Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF), including the NATO-led forces.

Healthcare[edit]

The percentage of households with clean drinking water increased from 34% in 2005 to 35% in 2011.[3] The percentage of births attended to by a skilled birth attendant increased from 18% in 2005 to 32% in 2011.[3]

Education[edit]

The overall literacy rate (6+ years of age) fell from 28% in 2005 to 15% in 2011.[3] The overall net enrolment rate (6–13 years of age) fell from 38% in 2005 to 37% in 2011.[3]

Demographics[edit]

Further information: Demography of Afghanistan
Districts of Khost (not showing the Shamal District).

The population of Khost province is around 546,800.[1] The Pashtun people make up 99% of the population, with the remaining 1% being Tajiks and others.[2]

Tribes[edit]

The main tribes are:

Districts[edit]

Districts of Khost Province
District Capital Population Area[4] Notes
Bak 27,675
Gurbuz 30,751
Zazi Maidan 23,197
Khost Matun|Capital 120,214
Mandozayi 41,682
Musakhel 31,998
Nadir Shah Kot 37,193
Qalandar 11,406
Sabari 49,779
Shamal 13,523 Shifted from Paktia Province in 2005
Spera 26,685
Tani 42,096
Tirazayi

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b c "Settled Population of Khost province by Civil Division, Urban, Rural and Sex-2012-13". Islamic Republic of Afghanistan: Central Statistics Organization. Retrieved 2014-01-18. 
  2. ^ a b "Khost Province". Program for Culture & Conflict Studies. Naval Postgraduate School. Retrieved 2014-01-18. 
  3. ^ a b c d Archive, Civil Military Fusion Centre, https://www.cimicweb.org/AfghanistanProvincialMap/Pages/Khost.aspx
  4. ^ Afghanistan Geographic & Thematic Layers

External links[edit]