|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (January 2011)|
|• Mayor||Dr. Subrota Das|
|• Member of Legislative Assembly||Mr. Bhupendra Singh Thakur|
|• Commissioner||P.S Khan|
|• Total||126.77 km2 (48.95 sq mi)|
|Elevation||421 m (1,381 ft)|
|• Density||24/km2 (60/sq mi)|
|• Official||Hindi, Bundelkhandi, Urdu, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Coastline||0 kilometres (0 mi)|
|Nearest city||Bina Junction, India|
|Distance from Delhi||949 kilometres (590 mi) S|
|Distance from Mumbai||1,089 kilometres (677 mi) NE|
|Distance from Kolkata||1,921 kilometres (1,194 mi) W|
|Distance from Chennai||2,418 kilometres (1,502 mi) N|
|Precipitation||231 millimetres (9.1 in)|
|Avg. annual temperature||24.03 °C (75.25 °F)|
|Avg. summer temperature||42.33 °C (108.19 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||01.77 °C (35.19 °F)|
Khurai is a city in Sagar District and a municipality in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. It is located on the north east region of Madhya Pradesh. The name 'Khurai' is said to be derived with a phrase "The place called as 'KHU'da, 'RA'm and 'I'sa ki nagari = KHURAI"
- 1 Geography
- 2 Climate
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Political view
- 5 Economy
- 6 Tourism
- 7 Transport
- 8 Services
- 9 References
Khurai is a headquarters city in Sagar District, situated near its border with Vidisha District, Madhya Pradesh. It is about 26 km east of Bhelsa and 53 km west of Sagar. Khurai is located on a plain region and hence, its land is good for wheat and rice cultivation. About 63% of the total land area comes under cultivation. Besides wheat and rice, vegetables like Brinjal, peas, tomatoes, spinach, and potatoes are also grown in small quantity.khurai market have been developed then other city in sagar district.
Khurai mainly has a moderate climate. From October to February the temperature there is 12°C min to 27°C and from March to June temperature is 35°C to 48°C. The average rainfall there is about 200 cm. Winters are moderately cool and summers are lightly hot. Monsoon arrives there in June till August. Rain brings greenery around everywhere in the city.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
As of 2011[update] India census, Khurai has a population of 51,511. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Khurai has an average literacy rate of 80.8%, higher than the national average of 59.5%.
Khurai City is divided into 27 sub areas or wards. Some of the wards are Bihari Ward, Rani Durgawati ward, Nanak Ward, Mahavir Ward, Subhash Ward, Pratap Ward, Shivaji Ward, Galla Mandi, Subodra rai ward, and Ambedkar Ward. Besides these wards, Rethore, Nirtala, Ghourat, Khimlasa, Jarwaans and Jagdishpura are the sub-towns of Khurai City. These wards come under the Nagar palika parishad. Nagar palika has a majority of congress councilors. In 27 wards, congress has 15 members bjp have 9 members and 3 of them are independent. Parishad chairman Amit choubey of congress are running his 2nd tenure while opposition leader desraj yadav of bjp is in his 3rd tenure as a nagar palika parishad member. The local MLA is Mr.Bhupendra Singh from BJP. Some of the BJP members are Deshraj Yadav, Rama Shankar Nema, Ajmani ji etc.
The main business in Khurai region is agriculture. Main crops grown there are wheat (sharbati), soyabean and gram. City is hub of making agriculture equipments like thraser, ploughs, seeding machines, trolleys. Many factories exist for them. The quality of soil in Khurai is very good and it is black in colour so there a very good quality of wheat is produced. Most of the wheat is transferred to Delhi and Mumbai hotels.
Dohela is an ancient fort in Khurai. Shri Digambar Jain Gurukul Lal Mandir
Archaeological,Historical & Tourist Site Eran
Eran Archaeological site khurai near about 19 km.
- Important Inscription of Eran
1. Inscription of Samudragupta (about 350 AD)
2. Inscription of Budhgupta (about 465 AD)
3. Inscription of Torman (about 485 AD)
4. Inscription of Bhanugupta (about 510 AD)
5. Inscription of Shridharvarman (about 280 AD)
- Important Temple of Eran
1. Vishnu Temple (about 350 AD)
2. Varah Temple(about 485 AD)
3. Narsingh Temple(about 450 AD)
4.Old Temple of Lord Hanuman
5. Garuda Pillar about 48 fit (465 AD)
The Khurai Railway Station is the main railway station which is well connected by rail route to Delhi, Mumbai, Howrah, Puri, Ahmedabad, Indore, Bhopal, Jabalpur, Meerut, Ghaziabad, Bilaspur, Rewa, Itarsi, Katni etc. While the other station is located at Khurai Sumreri which halts only passenger and local trains. The nearest railway junction is Bina Junction 22 km away which connects Khurai to other major cities of India.
The proposed Saugor - Chhattarpur Via. Tikamgarh rail Route will provide the Dhangar area a new mode and this way the city will get a new Railway Station Khurai Dhangar, 10 km from Khurai main railway station.
As it is very close to Bina Junction,this provides a lot of convenience to the people.Some of the daily trains which have stoppages at Khurai City are mentioned here:
- Amritsar Vishakhapatnam HIRAKUND EXPRESS.
- Haridwar Puri KALINGUTKAL EXPRESS.
- Hazrat Nizamuddin Jabalpur GONDWANA EXPRESS (Super)
- Varanasi Lokmanya Tilak Terminus / Kurla Mumbai KAMAYANI EXPRESS.
- Howrah Indore KSHIPRA EXPRESS.
- Bhopal Howrah MAIL
- Rajkot Jabalpur VERAVAL EXPRESS.
- Jaipur Jabalpur DAYODAYA EXPRESS.
- Bhopal – Bilaspur Express.
- Kota Damoh PASSENGER
- Damoh Bina PASSENGER.
- Bhopal Rewa REWANCHAL EXPRESS (Super)
- Katni Bina MIX PASSENGER.
- Bhopal Itarsi VINDHYACHAL EXPRESS
All these trains,excluding some trains are running daily and have their stoppage at Khurai Railway Station.Besides the railway service,the bus service is also available in the city.
Khurai is located on National Highway 26A (Extension to NH-26) between Sagar and Bina and is well connected to Jhansi, Gwalior, Bhopal, Indore, Jabalpur by road.
There are daily buses for Bhopal, Indore, Jhansi, Sagar and Bina.
Within the city, tempo vans and magic provide local transport.
Khurai City Bus
Proposed service to start by year 2011. A few of them runs as follow :
- Rethore - Pathar - Rethore
- Nirtala - Jarwans - Nirtala via. Rajiv Chowk
- Nirtala - Jarwans - Nirtala via. Talaiya
- Nirtala - Dhangar - Nirtala
- Jarwans - Jagdishpura - Jarwans
- Jarwans - Ghourat - Jarwans
- Pt. KC sharma H.sec School ground
- Polytechnic collage Helipad
Khurai has six English Medium Schools
- JNV Khurai ( Navodaya )
- Holy Family Convent Sr. Sec. School
- Gyanodaya H.Sec CBSE School
- Kendriya Vidyalaya Dhangar
- Govt. Model H.sec school
- Blue Bells H.Sec School
- Govt. Higher Girls Lalita Shastri School
Khurai has many hindi medium schools, some of them are listed here
- Pandit KC Sharma Higher Secondary School (the biggest school of khurai)
- S. P. Jain Gurukul Higher Secondary School
- Saraswati Vidya Mandir
- Saraswati Gyan Mandir
- Saraswati Sishu Mandir H.sec school
- Shri Ganesh Vidya Mandir High School
- Govt. Higher Secondary School, Dhanora (8 km from khurai)
Colleges in Khurai
Khurai has a
- Polytechnic College
- Science & Arts College
- Rajiv Lochanacharya Mahavidyalaya
- Govt. Degree College
Telecommunication and Media
In the past years, the city has developed much in providing better communication facilities in the city. These networks are providing services in the city:
The city still has a good low price entertainment available in the form of cinema halls. Natraj cinema is biggest hall in the city. With a central air-cooled facility and satellite connectivity, this caters latest and new releases entertainment movies (Bollywood and Hollywood) at a very nominal rates. This cinema has a capacity of 501 seats divided into 2 classes i.e. balcony(114)&dress circle (387)seats. Its situated on Railway station road, easily accessible from any side of the city and having proper space for parking vehicles.
The banks located in different region of Khurai City.
- State Bank Of India with ATM facility.(Railway Station Road)
- Central Bank with ATM facility(Railway Station Road)
- Sahara Bank (Galla Mandi)Non Banking Sector
- Regional Rural Bank (Railway Station Road)
- Punjab National Bank with ATM Facility.(Hemant Talkies Road)
- Union Bank of India with ATM Facility.(Railway Station Road)
- Bank of Baroda - with ATM Facility. (Hemant Talkies Road)
- Ratnakar Bank with ATM Facility (Railway Station Road)
- Canara Bank with ATM Facility (Near BSNL Exchange, Gurukul Road)
- Vijaya Bank with ATM Facility (Near BSNL Exchange, Gurukul Road)
Hospitals in Khurai
- Govt. City Hospital (jhanda chowk)
- Mission Hospital, Rethor (bina road)
■ Paras Polyclinic ( Near Jhanda Chowk )
- J.Y.S.S. hospital
Near Malaiya Jain Temple, Chandrashekhar Ward, Khurai Phone 07581 240073
- OLD JAIN MANDIR
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Dr. Mohan Lal Chadhar, 'Coins of Eran' Mekal Insights, Journal of Indira Gandhi National Tribal University, Amarkantak, Vol. II No.01,January 2010. P,94
- Dr.Mohan Lal Chadhar, 'Yug-Yugin Eran', Koshal, Journal of Culture & Archaeology, Chhatisgarh Government,Raipur, 2013.pp, 104
- Dr.Mohan Lal Chadhar,Eran ki Tamrapashan sasnkriti, Sagar, M.P.2009,pp11 ISBN 81-89740-07-5