Khuza'a, Khan Yunis
|• Also spelled||Khuzaa (official)|
|• Head of Municipality||Kamal al-Najjar|
|• Jurisdiction||7,842 dunams (7.8 km2 or 3.0 sq mi)|
|Name meaning||31°18′25″N 34°21′40″E|
Khuza'a (Arabic: خزاعة) is a Palestinian town in the Khan Yunis Governorate in the southern Gaza Strip. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics, Khuza'a had a population of 9,700 inhabitants. The village of Khuza'a is around 500 metres from the border with Israel.
In 1945 Khuza'a, (named Khirbat Ikhzaa), had a population of 990, all Arabs, with 8,179 dunams of land, according to an official land and population survey. Of this, 7,987 dunams were used for cereals, while 8 dunams were built-up land.
Allegations of war crimes
The Observer collected allegations from residents that during the 2008–09 Gaza War the Israeli military bulldozed houses in Khuza'a with civilians still inside and that civilians were shot despite carrying white flags. B'tselem collected accounts from residents consistent with what The Observer reported.
Bruno Stevens, a Western journalist who was among the first to get access to Gaza, reported that white phosphorus was used in the shelling of houses. Stevens reported "What I can tell you is that many, many houses were shelled and that they used white phosphorus," and that "it appears to have been indiscriminate."
- Local elections (round one) - the winners according to local authority, gender and No. of votes obtained Higher Commission for Local Elections, pp.51-52
- Projected Mid -Year Population for Khan Yunis Governorate by Locality 2004- 2006
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 46
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 87
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 137
- Fida Qishta in Khuza'a and Peter Beaumont, Israel accused of war crimes over 12-hour assault on Gaza village, The Observer, 18 January 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Khoza'a.|
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.