5 June 1940|
Mumbai, British India (present-day Mumbai, India)
|Occupation||Claimant 53rd Da'i al-Mutlaq of the Dawoodi Bohras|
|Parents||Syedna Taher Saifuddin, the 51st Da'i al-Mutlaq, and Amena Aaisaheba.|
Khuzaima Qutbuddin (born 5 June 1940) is a claimant of 53rd Da'i al-Mutlaq of the Dawoodi Bohras, a subgroup within the Mustaali, Ismaili Shia branch of Islam. Qutbuddin was appointed "Da'i Madhun" (maznoon) by the Syedna Muhammad Burhanuddin in 1965. He is the founder "Zahra Hasanaat", a charitable trust to help underprivileged mumineen and their families to achieve self-reliance.
Qutbuddin, a half-brother of Mohammed Burhanuddin and a rival claimant to the title of Dai-al-Mutlaq, claims that his half-brother appointed him heir around 49 years ago while conferring on him the title of "mazoon". Contrary to the claim, Mufaddal Saifuddin son of Late Syedna Burhanuddin claimed that his father had declared "nass" (succession) on him in London on 4 June 2011, and many times before.
Qutbuddin was born on 5 June 1940 in the Indian state of Mumbai. He is eleventh son of the 51st Da'i al-Mutlaq Syedna Taher Saifuddin and half brother of the 52nd Da'i Mohammed Burhanuddin.
Following the death of 52nd Syedna Mohammad Burhanuddin, there arose a controversy over the legitimate heir of the 52nd Syedna. Khuzaima Qutbuddin claimed that his half-brother appointed him heir around 50 years ago while conferring on him the title of 'mazoon', that is the second in line, after the Syedna and published a public notice on his website declaring the same.
Mohammed Burhanuddin (6 March 1915 – 17 January 2014) was the last and 52nd Dā‘ī l-Muṭlaq. Burhanuddin had suffered a stroke in June,2011 and at that time it was declared that the Dai had appointed his second son Mufaddal Saifuddin as ‘designate-successor’. It is reported that Dawoodi Bohra ‘community’ had ‘welcomed their community leader’s choice’ of Mufaddal Saifuddin as his ‘successor’. After the demise of late Syedna in Jan,2014, Mufaddal ‘took charge officially’.
A diary entry was found describing the nass conferral. Mufaddal Saifuddin said on 4th Rabiul Akhar 1435 AH (February 2014 AD) that, 4 or 5 years ago, he read an entry from a diary in Syedna Taher Saifuddin's room which no one else other than Moula Burhanuddin had access to. It described the nass ceremony given by Burhanuddin in 1969. It was written by Shaikh Ibrahim al-Yamani, who had attended along with two other witnesses. The transcript was signed by Burhunaddin.
There are also reports which indicates numbers of succession pronouncements before 2011 succession. Court proceedings also reflect that Saifuddin's earlier 'pleading' of succession was showing "the source" as "the hospital bed", but after demise of late Syedna, "now the case is different. That pronouncement was made in 1969, 1994 and 2005 and only reconfirmation was done in 2011."
On 4 February 2014, some Dawoodi Bohras alleged harassment and submitted written complaints to the Thane police station, Mumbai, alleging threats by followers of Mufaddal Saifuddin (Mohammed Burhanuddin's son), while they were to attend Qutbuddin's misaaq to swear an oath of allegiance to Khuzaima Qutbuddin. The organizers of the misaaq claimed that, despite threat, there were over 200 attendees to the event, while the guards outside the bungalow said that, their numbers were limited 80 to 100.
- "A perilous transition". Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- "Who is new Syedna? Trouble brews as half-brother stakes claim | The Indian Express". indianexpress.com. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- "The Intricacies of Succession: Two Claimants Emerge for Dawoodi Bohra Leadership". Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- "About". Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- "Son's loyalists knock doors at night for support". 2014-01-25. Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- "Succession war breaks out in Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin's family". 2014-01-21. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Syedna Aali Qadr Mufaddal Saifuddin". Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "The Last Glimpse". Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- http://www.maeeshat.in/2014/02/dawoodi-bohras-endorse-solidarity-for-their-spiritual-leader, www.maeeshat.in, dawoodi-bohras-endorse-solidarity-for-their-spiritual-leader, ".. every Dawoodi Bohra around the world as they have witnessed the 52nd Dai al-Mutlaq RA publicly appoint his second son Syedna Mufaddal Saifudddin TUS as his successor by conferring Nass (investiture) in 2011 in Mumbai and had also explicitly reaffirmed it on many occasions since several years."
- http://www.one.in/dnaindia-mumbai/bohras-make-anti-syedna-faction%E2%80%99s-ex-communication-official-stick-by-mufaddal-saifuddin-1153595.html, dnaindia-mumbai, bohras-make-anti-syedna-faction-ex-communication-official-stick-by-mufaddal-saifuddin, Welcoming the crowd, Qaidjoher(First son of late Syedna) said: “...People have tried to break our unity but we should stand united for each other.” He added, ...Nass was performed on Mufaddal not once but a number of times.”
- "Talk of rift among Bohras over Syedna’s successor". Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- 'Mufaddal Saifuddin as designate-successor', http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-claimant-to-syedna-seat-declares-official-challenge-1968682,
- http://gulfnews.com/news/world/india/profile-of-syedna-mufaddal-saifuddin-1.1279387, 'With prayers and quiet celebrations at home, the Dawoodi Bohra community had welcomed their community leader’s choice of Mufaddal Saifuddin as his successor'
- "Dawoodi Bohras welcome nomination of successor". Hindustan Times. Mumbai: HT Media. 7 June 2011.
- http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-claimant-to-syedna-seat-declares-official-challenge-1968682, 'Mufaddal Saifuddin as designate-successor'. 'Mufaddal took charge officially last month'
- "Bohras protest Syedna's half-brother's claim". Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- "Talk of rift among Bohras over Syedna’s successor". Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- Masajid, Ghurratul (6 February 2014). "The 53rd Dai al Mutlaq’s (tus) Historic First Waaz – Milaad Imam il Zamaan (as)". mumineen.org. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- al-Yamani, Ibrahim (1969). "Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (ra) Nass diary entry 1388AH by Miyasaheb Shaikh Ibrahim al-Yamani; a rendering in English". mumineen.org.
- Sequeira, Rosy (29 April 2014). "Spell out steps you took to be spiritual head since 2011, Bombay HC tells Syedna's uncle". The Times of India. Mumbai: The Times Group.
- "How is Syedna chosen? HC wants to know". The Indian Express. Mumbai. 30 April 2014.
- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/The-late-Syedna-wanted-his-half-brother-to-succeed-him/articleshow/31863688.cms, ‘Most backs' Syedna Burhanuddin's second son, 'Syedna' Mufadda Saifuddin, and hold him as its '53rd spiritual leader’
- http://indianexpress.com/article/cities/mumbai/who-is-new-syedna-trouble-brews-as-half-brother-stakes-claim/, 'Many Bohras have accepted Burhanuddin’s second son Syedi Mufaddal Saifuddin as Syedna'
- "Breakaway Dawoodi Bohra faction alleges harassment". M.timesofindia.com. 2014-04-06. Retrieved 2014-03-13.
- Punwani, Jyoti (2014-02-19). "Bohras who refuse to denounce Qutbuddin face boycott, threats". Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "Breakaway Dawoodi Bohra faction alleges harassment". M.timesofindia.com. 2014-02-05. Retrieved 2014-03-13.
- Punwani, Jyoti (2014-02-19). "Bohras who refuse to denounce Qutbuddin face boycott, threats". Retrieved 2014-03-22.