KiHa 189 series
|KiHa 189 series|
KiHa 189 series on a Hamakaze service, November 2010
|In service||7 November 2010–|
|Replaced||KiHa 181 series|
|Number built||21 vehicles|
|Number in service||21 vehicles (7 sets)|
|Formation||3 cars per trainset|
|Line(s) served||Tōkaidō Main Line, Sanyō Main Line, Bantan Line, Sanin Main Line|
|Car body construction||Stainless steel|
|Car length||20,870 mm (68 ft 6 in) (end cars)
20,800 mm (68 ft 3 in) (intermediate cars)
|Width||2,900 mm (9 ft 6 in)|
|Height||3,650 mm (12 ft 0 in)|
|Doors||One per side|
|Maximum speed||130 km/h (80 mph)|
|Prime mover(s)||SA6D140HE-2 (x2 per car)|
|Power output||450 hp (at 2,100 rpm) per engine|
|Deceleration||4.6 km/h/s (service), 5.2 km/h/s (emergency)|
|Braking system(s)||Engine brake, electronically controlled pneumatic brakes|
|Safety system(s)||ATS-SW, ATS-P|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
The KiHa 189 series (キハ189系?) is a diesel multiple unit (DMU) train type operated by West Japan Railway Company (JR West) on Hamakaze limited express services between Osaka and Tottori in Japan since November 2010.
- Biwako Express (from March 2014)
Trains are formed as 3-car sets, as shown below.
|Numbering||KiHa 189-1000||KiHa 188||KiHa 189|
The trains are all standard-class, with a total seating capacity of 156 passengers per 3-car set. Seating is in standard 2+2 abreast configuration with a seat pitch of 970 mm, an increase of 60 mm compared with the earlier KiHa 181 series trains.
The trains entered revenue service from 7 November 2010.
- "JR西日本 キハ189系特急型気動車" [JR West KiHa 189 series Limited Express DMU]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 39 (314): p.68–69. June 2010.
- JR West press release: "特急「はまかぜ」への新型気動車の投入について" [Introduction of new diesel trains on limited express Hamakaze services (26 March 2009)]. Retrieved on 15 March 2010. (Japanese)
- 特急「はまかぜ」新型車両展示会の開催について [Details of new "Hamakaze" train display] (in Japanese). JR West. 10 September 2010. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- "キハ189系特急形気動車" [KiHa 189 series Limited Express DMU]. Japan Railfan Magazine (Japan: Kōyūsha) 50 (590): p.66–69. June 2010.
- "甲種鉄道車両輸送計画表" [New rolling stock delivery schedule]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 39 (312): p.124. April 2010.
- キハ189系が試運転を実施 [KiHa 189 series test running starts]. Japan Railfan Magazine online (in Japanese). Koyusha Co., Ltd. 23 March 2010. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- キハ189系が“はまかぜ”で営業運転を開始 [KiHa 189 series enters revenue service on "Hamakaze"]. Japan Railfan Magazine online (in Japanese). Koyusha Co., Ltd. 8 November 2010. Retrieved 8 November 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to KiHa 189 series.|
- JR West KiHa 189 series (Japan Railfan Magazine Online) (Japanese)