|Birth name||Kian John Francis Egan|
29 April 1980 |
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, piano, drums|
Warner Music Group (2014–present)
|Associated acts||Westlife, Wonderland, Jodi Albert|
Kian John Francis Egan (born 29 April 1980) is an Irish musician, best known as a former member of boy band Westlife. He is a coach on The Voice of Ireland and won the thirteenth series of I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! in 2013.
1997–2012: Westlife and Wonderland
Not only was he in Westlife, but Egan was also part of a pop group called IOYOU with fellow Westlife members Mark Feehily and Shane Filan, as well as Graham Keighron, Michael "Miggles" Garrett and Derrick Lacey. Egan, during a year long hiatus from Westlife in 2008, launched a new venture along with Louis Walsh to put together and co-manage girlband, Wonderland. Their debut album reached number 6 on the Irish Albums Chart and number 8 on the UK Albums Chart, however, just 4 months later they were dropped by Mercury Records.
It was announced in January 2014 that Egan had signed to Rhino Records of Warner Music Group and his debut album Home was released on Friday 14 March in Ireland, and Monday 17 March in the UK. His debut single "Home", a cover of the track by band Daughtry, had its first exclusive play on BBC Radio 2 on lunch time with Terry Wogan's show. The album has peaked to number 2 on the Irish Singles Chart and number 9 on the UK Albums Chart. In May 2014, Egan released "I'll Be" as the second single from the album, a cover of the track by Edwin McCain.
Egan is one of the four coaches on The Voice of Ireland. However, his dreams of winning the show went to tatters as he threw his lot in with Jim Devine, from Northern Ireland. This immediately put him at a disadvantage to the other contestants as, ahead of the final, viewers in Northern Ireland could not download his single, the tally of which contributed to his vote. Egan was left fuming and in need of support from Sharon Corr as he expressed his opinion on the unfairness of it all and had "huge rows" about it but to no avail.
In June 2012, Egan announced in an interview with the Sunday Life that he was "looking at doing a TV show in the next few weeks with Sky on surfing". Later reports suggested that the show would be eight episodes long and would broadcast on Sky1 later in the year.
In July 2012, Egan presented This Morning's Hub on a regular basis, standing in for the regular hosts. Later that year, in October, he began giving weekly reports on This Morning about the remaining contestants in the ninth series of The X Factor. Egan reported every Friday morning, before the competition's live shows that weekend.
On 21 October 2012 Egan became a co-presenter of the revamped version of Surprise Surprise, but did not return the following year.
- Alan Carr's Celebrity Ding Dong (31 October 2008) – Guest
- Lorraine (15 November 2010, 7 March 2011) – Guest
- Celebrity Juice (23 December 2010, 5 April 2012, 13 March 2014) – Panellist
- Loose Women (14 November 2011) – Guest
- Daybreak (9 November 2012) – Guest
- Fake Reaction (24 January 2013) – Guest
- 8 Out of 10 Cats (8 February 2013) – Panellist
- Your Face Sounds Familiar (27 July 2013) – Guest judge
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? (19 December 2013) – Contestant with Rebecca Adlington
- The Cube: Celebrity Special (22 February 2014) – Contestant
- The Wright Stuff (28 March 2014) – Panellist
- The Guess List (3 May 2014) – Guest
- Sunday Brunch (4 May 2014) – Guest
- Weekend (10 May 2014) – Guest
- TV OD (5 June 2014) – Guest
- All Star Mr & Mrs (25 June 2014) – Contestant
Egan was born to Patricia and Kevin (d. 2009). He is the fifth of 7 children. He attended Summerhill College secondary school in Sligo, where he met fellow band members Mark Feehily and Shane Filan. He is the cousin of Gillian Walsh, the wife of Shane Filan, making him and Filan cousin-in-laws.
Egan married English actress and Girl Thing and Wonderland member Jodi Albert on 8 May 2009. Egan's father was unhappy with their partnership but still tried to attend the marriage ceremony after being diagnosed with a brain tumour, but died shortly after. On 31 July 2011, the couple announced they were expecting their first child. Westlife's official Facebook page announced that Albert had given birth to a baby boy named Koa at 18:10 on 20 December 2011. The family live in Strandhill, County Sligo. On 15, November 2014 it was announced that Egan and Albert were expecting their second child together due in Spring 2015. 
In his free time, Egan enjoys surfing. Egan spoke of the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa but said he would not go after Thierry Henry knocked out the Republic of Ireland national football team with his hand in Paris.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"—" denotes a single that did not chart.|
- Finn, Melanie (28 October 2011). "Bressie's in the hotseat in search for the Voice". Evening Herald. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "Kian Egan "fuming" over Voice scandal". 98FM (Communicorp – owned by Denis O'Brien). 26 April 2012. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "Sharon offers Kian support". 98FM (Communicorp – owned by Denis O'Brien). 27 April 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- Special K – Red Carpet TV Episode 7 – YouTube
- "King of the jungle! Kian Egan wins I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! 2013". Daily Mail. 8 December 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- "Westlife's Kian Egan and wife Jodi Albert are expecting their first child". heatworld.com. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- Judge tells Westlife's Kian Egan 'raise wall up' to keep fans at bay – BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
- "Kian Egan Jodi Albert Expecting Second Child". dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- "No Westlife wipeout! Kian Egan can more than hold his own on a surfboard as he takes to the waves in Barbados". Dailymail.co.uk. 31 December 2010. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- Nadia Neophytou. Westlife looks forward to World Cup. Eyewitness News.
- JANEH (20 July 2014). "POLL: WHO IS IRELAND’S SEXIEST MAN?". RSVP Magazine.
- Peak positions in Ireland:
- Peak positions in the United Kingdom:
- Peak positions for albums in Scotland:
- Official website
- Kian Egan at the Internet Movie Database
- Westlife's Official website
- One Breathe Westlife
|I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!