Nagacadan Rice Terraces
Map of Ifugao showing the location of Kiangan
|Region||Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR)|
|• Mayor||Joselito G. Guyguyon|
|• Total||200.00 km2 (77.22 sq mi)|
|• Density||79/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||4th class|
Kiangan is the oldest town in the province. It derives its name from Kiyyangan, an ancient village near the bank of the Ibulao River across the Lagawe valley. The name Kiyyangan is enshrined in Ifugao mythology and is believed to be the dwelling of Wigan and Bugan, the mythological ancestors of the Ifugao. It was the former capital of Ifugao until the topology was deemed unfit and moved to Lagawe, Ifugao.
The Nagacadan Rice Terraces are part of the Rice Terraces of the Philippine Cordilleras World Heritage Site.
|Population census of Kiangan|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Agriculture and tourism are the main source of local economic activities which supports commerce and trade among townsfolk. Its terraced rice fields do not only provide produce for the farmers but attract tourists as well.
- Nagacadan Rice Terraces
The Nagacadan Rice Terraces is a UNESCO Heritage Site and one of the many rice terraces in the province of Ifugao. The rice terraces cluster manifest a distinct feature - the fields are in ascending rows of terraces bisected by a river.
- Kiangan Shrine
Located in Kiangan is the Kiangan Central School old home economics building, which marks the spot where the highest Commander of the Japanese Imperial Army, General Tomoyuki Yamashita (also known as the Tiger of Malaya), surrendered to the Filipino & American Forces on 2 September 1945.
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 11 September 2013. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- "Province: IFUGAO". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- Municipality of Kiangan
- More photos and information on Kiangan, Ifugao
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System