Advani at the promotions of 'Fugly' in Ahmedabad.
8 March 1992
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Parents||Genevieve Jaffrey (mother)
Jagdeep Advani (father)
Kiara Advani (born Alia Advani; 8 March 1992) is an Indian film actress, who appears in Bollywood films. She made her debut in Grazing Goat Pictures' 2014 comedy drama film, Fugly opposite newcomer Mohit Marwah, Vijender Singh, Arfi Lamba and Jimmy Shergill. The film, which released on 13 June 2014, is directed by Kabir Sadanand and produced by Ashvini Yardi and Alka Bhatia.
Early life and background
Kiara Advani was born (as Alia Advani) on 31 July 1992 to Jagdeep Advani, a businessman, and Genevieve Jaffrey, a teacher. She has a younger brother, Mishaal (born September 1995). Her father is Sindhi while her mother is of half Muslim and half British descent. One of her grandmother was Bengali.
She is the great granddaughter of Ashok Kumar and the great grand niece of Saeed Jaffrey. She is also the niece of model Shaheen Jaffrey and actress Juhi Chawla. Her family is also close to actor Salman Khan, who previously dated her aunt, Shaheen Jaffrey. Khan had guided Advani when she first entered the film industry.
Advani said that her father, only after watching the 2009 film 3 Idiots, allowed his kids to pursue a career in whatever they were passionate about. Before pursuing a career in film, Advani did two short courses in acting at Anupam Kher's school of acting and Roshan Taneja's institute as well. Initially, Salman Khan had guided Advani when she first entered the film industry.
Advani made her acting debut in Kabir Sadanand's comedy drama film, Fugly, opposite newcomer Mohit Marwah, Vijender Singh, Arfi Lamba and Jimmy Shergill. The film, described by the director as a "social thriller [film] with a message", released on 13 June 2014, to mainly mixed reviews. For her performance however, Advani received generally positive reviews, with Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama saying she "catches you completely unaware" and has the "combination of looks and talent". Mehul S Thakkar of Deccan Chronicle noted her performance as being "very striking" and said she "shows a lot of promise", along with praising her versatility and range as an actor. Despite this, Suprateek Chatterjee of First Post criticized Advani, calling her "especially bad" and "still very self-conscious in front of the camera".
- "Kiara Advani Biography". Youth Developers. 10 May 2014.
- Singh, Prashant (2 June 2014). "Salman Khan ensures Bollywood doesn't get another Alia". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- Agrawal, Stuti (26 May 2014). "Having a film background can only get you to meet the right people: Kiara Advani". Times of India. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- Gupta, Priya (5 May 2014). "My father saw '3 Idiots' and decided to let me do what I wanted to: Kiara Advani". Times of India. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- "The ex-girlfriend connection: Kiara Advani is Salman Khan's first girlfriend Shaheen Jaffrey's niece". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- Taran Adarsh (13 June 2014). "Movie Review: 'Fugly' (2014)". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- Mehul S Thakkar (13 June 2014). "Movie Review 'Fugly': Raises disturbing and thought provoking questions". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- Suprateek Chatterjee (13 June 2014). "Fugly review: Atrocious mish-mash of Rang De Basanti and Shaitan". First Post. Retrieved 15 June 2014.