|Type of site||Torrent index, magnet links provider|
|Available in||30 Languages, primarily English|
|Alexa rank||78 (November 2014[update])|
KickassTorrents (commonly abbreviated KAT) is a website, founded in 2008, that provides torrent files and magnet links to facilitate peer-to-peer file sharing using the BitTorrent protocol. As of November 2014, it is the most visited torrent directory, according to the site's Alexa ranking.
Blocking and censorship
On 28 February 2013, Internet service providers (ISPs) in the United Kingdom were ordered by the High Court in London to block access to KickassTorrents, along with two other torrent sites. Judge Richard Arnold ruled that the site's design contributed to copyright infringement. On 14 June 2013, the domain name was changed to kickass.to as a part of global maintenance. On 23 June 2013, KAT was delisted from Google at the request of the MPAA. In late August 2013, KAT was blocked by Belgian ISPs.
In June 2014, Kickass Torrents was blocked by Malaysian government as the access to that particular site has been denied under Section 263(2) Communications And Multimedia Act 1998 as it violates the Copyright Act 1987.
- "kickass.to Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-11-18.
- Ernesto. Top 10 Most Popular Torrent Sites of 2014. TorrentFreak. January 4, 2014.
- Alexa Top 500 Global Sites
- By Ernesto (2011-04-22). "KickassTorrents Moves to Kat.ph". TorrentFreak. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- O'Carroll, Lisa (28 February 2013). "Online piracy: ISPs ordered to block access to three file-sharing websites". London: The Guardian. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- EMI Records Limited, Infectious Limited, Liberation Music Pty Limited, Polydor Limited, Simco Limited, Sony Music Entertainment UK Limited, Universal Music Operations Limited, Virgin Records Limited, Warner Music UK Limited, Weainternational Inc v British Sky Broadcasting Limited, British Telecommunications Plc, Everything Everywhere Limited, TalktalkTelecom Group Plc, Telefónica UK Limited, Virgin Media Limited  EWHC 379 (Ch) (28 February 2013), High Court (England and Wales)
- "Moving to Kickass.To - Blog - KickassTorrents". Kickass.to. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "MPAA Kicks KickassTorrents Off Google With ‘Precision’ Takedown". TorrentFreak. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- "Belgische providers blokkeren meer torrentsites" (in Dutch).
- "Irish Internet Providers Roll Out KickassTorrents Blockade". TorrentFreak. 19 January 2014. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Twitter Blocks Kickass.to Links, Says They're Unsafe". TorrentFreak. Retrieved 25 February 2014.