|Type||Family Entertainment Center|
KidZania is a privately held Mexican company. KidZania is a Mexican chain of family entertainment centers currently operating in 15 locations allowing children to work in adult jobs and earn currency. KidZania has received more than 31 million guests around the world since its opening, making it one of the fastest growing global edutainment brands in the world.
Every KidZania is themed as a child-sized replica of a real city, including buildings, shops and theaters, as well as vehicles and pedestrians moving along its streets. In this city, children aged 4 through 16, work in branded activities from bottling Coca-Cola, working in a Crest-sponsored dentist office, working at a McDonalds restaurant, painting with Corporação Industrial do Norte, washing hands with P&G's Safeguard soap, and using airline tickets from American Airlines and Emirates. The children earn KidZos (KidZania's currency) while performing the tasks, and the money is kept in the KidZania bank for children to spend at the gift shop and on KidZania activities. Inside every KidZania facility around the world, children wear electronic bracelets that allow parents to keep track of their kids remotely. The blending of marketing has led The Morning News to dub KidZania as "advertainment", stating "there is little that's pretend, and the play revolves around following instructions from the adult Zupervisors." Children also make up the governance of KidZania, with a 14-member group. Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan owns about 26% share in the company and helps to promote the brand in India.
KidZania was created and developed by Mexican entrepreneur Xavier López Ancona, current KidZania CEO. The first KidZania opened in September 1999 in Santa Fe Shopping Mall in Mexico City, and was named La Ciudad de los Niños ("The City of the Children").
Corporate sponsors funded 55% of the initial investment.
In 2007, KidZania engaged veteran entertainment strategist and dealmaker Andrew Darrow as Executive Vice President to expand the operation.
- KidZania Mexico City, opened in September 1999 as La Ciudad de los Niños, rebranded KidZania La Ciudad de los Niños
- KidZania Monterrey, opened in May 2006
- Kidzania Tokyo, opened in October 2006 (franchise)
- KidZania Jakarta, opened in November 2007 (franchise)
- Kidzania Koshien, opened in March 2009 (franchise)
- KidZania Lisbon, opened June 2009 (franchise)
- KidZania Dubai, opened January 2010 (franchise)
- KidZania Seoul, opened February 2010 (franchise)
- KidZania Kuala Lumpur, opened February 2012 (franchise)
- KidZania Santiago, opened May 2012 (franchise)
- KidZania Cuicuilco, opened June 2012
- KidZania Bangkok, opened March 2013
- KidZania Mumbai, opened April 2013
- KidZania Kuwait, opened June 2013
- KidZania Manila, opened November 2013
- KidZania Cairo, opened September 2013
- Kidzania Turkey, Istanbul, will open soon
- KidZania Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, will open soon
- KidZania São Paulo, will open in 2014
- KidZania Singapore, will open in 2015
- KidZania Moscow, will open in 2015
- KidZania Doha, Qatar, will open by 2015
- KidZania London, will open by 2015
Awards and Recognition
KidZania has won many awards from various organizations that are aware of the value and uniqueness that the KidZania brand has to offer and its future potential. KidZania was voted the World's Top Family Entertainment Center by the IAAPA (International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions) and 2009 Global Leisure Operator of the Year. 
The Best Mexican Companies, an initiative promoted by Banco Nacional de Mexico (Banamex), Deloitte Mexico and ITESM, announced KidZania as one of the '2012 Best Mexican Companies'.
- Deri Smith, Mike (11 April 2011). "State of Play". The Morning News (online magazine). Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- Rubinstein, Dana (19 May 2011). "Playing Grown-Up at KidZania". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- Official website
- An article about KidZania in the Japanese Metropolis magazine
- New Kidzania theme park to be developed - The Brunei Times