Kidon (Hebrew: כידון, bayonet or "tip of the spear") is the name of a department within Israel's Mossad that is allegedly responsible for the execution of terrorists. Kidon is suspected of being behind a number of successful counter-terrorist campaigns, such as the Operation Wrath of God campaign. Given the secret nature of the unit, there is almost no reliable information available.
The Kidon is described by Yaakov Katz as "an elite group of expert assassins who operate under the Caesarea branch of the espionage organization. Not much is known about this mysterious unit, details of which are some of the most closely guarded secrets in the Israeli intelligence community." The unit only recruits from "former soldiers from the elite IDF special force units."
In popular culture
Kidon is referenced several times in the show NCIS. Kidon is referred to in the NCIS season 6 episode "Legend (Part 2)" when they suspect a Mossad agent visiting the US is part of the Kidon group. In the last episode of the same season, "Aliyah", officer Ziva David's boyfriend Michael Rivkin is stated to have been a Kidon member. Officer David is shown to be a part of Kidon as well. The director of Mossad, Eli David, has referred to his daughter Officer David as the "sharp end of the spear".
Kidon is also referred to in the Covert Affairs season 1 episode "No Quarter". The protagonist Annie Walker is forced to cooperate with ex-Kidon-turned-Mossad-agent Eyal Lavin when an intel-exchange in Switzerland is compromised.
In the 2012 Chris Ryan novel Killing for the Company SAS operatives Chet Freeman and Luke Mercer come head-to-head with a Kidon operative gone rogue.
In season 2 of the Israeli TV drama Hatufim, a Kidon operative figures heavily in a plot to assassinate a terrorist leader in Syria.
On October 10th 2013 the comedic film Kidon  was released starring Tomer Sisley, Kev Adams and Bar Refaeli, and written and directed by Emmanuel Naccache. The movie features the The Assassination of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh as told from the perspective of the Mossad.
- Selective assassination
- Israeli targeted killings
- Duvdevan Unit—Israel's undercover strike unit
- Aman—Israel's military intelligence agency
- Shin Bet—Israel's homeland security/counter intelligenc agency
- Special Activities Division—a CIA organization
- Klein, Aaron J. Striking Back: The 1972 Munich Olympics Massacre and Israel's Deadly Response. New York: Random House, 2005. ISBN 1-4000-6427-9. pp. 107 & 203.
- Israel Vs. Iran: The Shadow War, Potomac Books, Inc, 2012, page 91, By Yaakov Katz, Yoaz Hendel
- Melman, Yossi (19 February 2010). "Kidon, the Mossad within the Mossad". Haaretz. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- Kidon movie in IMDb
- Frattini, Eric. Mossad, los verdugos del Kidon. Madrid: Atanor Ediciones, 2011. ISBN 978-84-938718-6-4.
- Ostrovsky, Victor. By Way of Deception: The Making and Unmaking of a Mossad Officer. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1990. ISBN 0-9717595-0-2.
- Thomas, Gordon. Robert Maxwell, Israel's Superspy: The Life and Murder of a Media Mogul. New York: Carroll & Graf Publishers, 2002. ISBN 0-7867-1295-3.