||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
Mayobridge, County Down, Northern Ireland.
|Associated acts||Frances Black, Rodney Crowell|
Kieran Goss was born and raised in Mayobridge, County Down, Northern Ireland. He was just nine years old when he got his first guitar. Growing up in a big family with diverse musical tastes meant that early on he was hearing his brothers’ Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson records, his mother’s Frank Sinatra records and his sisters’ Rolling Stones records. These varied influences gave Goss his own unique sound.
Goss supported himself while a law student in Belfast by playing club gigs and the University Students’ Union, earning himself support slots for Elvis Costello, Christy Moore and Joe Jackson along the way. After completing his studies in Northern Ireland he worked as a street musician in Germany, France and New York and as a songwriter for other musicians. He recorded his first album, Brand New Star, in 1989. It contained the songs "Brand New Star" and "Just Around The Corner," which came to the attention of Mary Black as she was preparing the album Babes In The Wood. She recorded both songs.
Kieran followed up Brand New Star with New Day in 1994 and in 1998 he released the album Worse Than Pride, which contained the Top 10 single "Out Of My Head." It was the second most played song on Irish radio that year. Worse Than Pride achieved double platinum status nine months after it was released. Red-Letter Day followed this in 2000 containing fan-favourite "Reasons To Leave".
In the winter of 2002, Goss released the compilation Out Of My Head... The Best Of Kieran Goss. His sixth studio album, Blue Sky Sunrise, was recorded in Tennessee in the spring of 2005 and was produced by Rodney Crowell and Peter Coleman. It was released later that year.
Goss currently resides in County Sligo, Ireland.
- Brand New Star (1989)
- Frances Black & Kieran Goss (1991)
- New Day (1994)
- Worse Than Pride (1998)
- Red-Letter Day (2000)
- Blue Sky Sunrise (2005)
- Trio Live (2008)
- I'll Be Seeing You (2009)
- For The Record (2010)
- Out of My Head... The Best of Kieran Goss (2002)
- A cover version of Underneath Your Clothes on Even Better than the Real Thing Vol. 1
- Kieran Goss Live at Belfast Opera House (2011)
- Wilson, David A. (1995). Ireland, a bicycle, and a tin whistle. McGill-Queen's Press - MQUP. pp. 70–. ISBN 978-0-7735-1344-0. Retrieved 31 July 2011.
- "Biography from his official Homepage". kierangoss.com. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Tweet from Kieran Goss's Twitter Feed". twitter.com. Retrieved 2010-02-02.