|Initial release||October 19, 2010|
|Stable release||7.2.1 / May 23, 2014|
|Operating system||iOS, Android, Windows Phone|
|Available in||English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Swahili|
|Type||Instant Messaging Client, Web Browser|
Kik Messenger is an instant messaging application for mobile devices. The app is available on most iOS, Android, and Windows Phone operating systems free of charge. Kik Messenger is modeled after BlackBerry's Messenger. Kik uses a smartphone's data plan or Wi-Fi to transmit and receive messages. Kik also allows users to share photos, sketches, mobile webpages, and other content. Kik Messenger requires users to register a username.
Founded in 2009, Kik Interactive is the work of a group of students from the University of Waterloo Ontario, Canada who wished to create new technologies to be used on mobile smartphones. Kik Messenger is the first app developed by Kik.
Kik Interactive released Kik Messenger on October 19, 2010. Within 15 days, Kik Messenger reached one million user registrations, with Twitter being credited as a catalyst for the new application's popularity.
On November 24, 2010, Research In Motion removed Kik Messenger from BlackBerry App World and limited the functionality of the software for its users. It also sued the company for copyright infringement. In October 2013, Blackberry and Kik settled the lawsuit, with the terms undisclosed.
As of May 2014, there are 120 million users registered.
On October 1, 2014, Kik Messenger, Sony Records and IPG Media Lab were awarded with The Smarties, by the Mobile Marketing Association, because of the first global music marketing campaign with One Direction. 
In November 2014, Kik Messenger announced a $38.3 million Series C funding round and its first acquisition, buying GIF Messenger "Relay". Its newest funding is from Valiant Capital Partners, and includes new investors Millennium Technology Value Partners and SV Angel.
On November 4, 2014, Kik Messenger scored 1 out of 7 points on the Electronic Frontier Foundation's secure messaging scorecard. It lost points because communications are not encrypted with a key the provider does not have access to, users cannot verify contacts' identities, past messages are not secure if the encryption keys are stolen, the code is not open to independent review, the security design is not properly documented, and there has not been a recent independent code audit.
- "How do I get the Kik app".
- Eichelberg, Amy (2012-04-29). "Android App of the Day: Kik Messenger". The Unlockr. Retrieved 2013-02-11.
- "Is Kik Free?".
- "Kik Messenger Gets off to a Good Start After October Relaunch". ThirdAge. 2010-11-04. Retrieved 2010-12-17.
- "KiK Messenger, free messages for Android, iPhone and BlackBerry". Dailyrumors.net. Retrieved 2010-12-17.
- Motorola il iDEN. "Kik Messenger app blows past 1 million users". Intomobile.com. Retrieved 2010-12-17.
- "RIM bloque une application concurrente A son service BlackBerry Messenger - ActualitAŠs Techno-AŠconomie - TAŠlAŠcoms et mobilitAŠ". Benefice-net.branchez-vous.com. Retrieved 2010-12-17.
- SILCOFF, JACQUIE MCNISH AND STEVE LADURANTAYE, SEAN (Sep 27, 2013). "Inside the fall of BlackBerry: How the smartphone inventor failed to adapt". The Globe and Mail Inc. Retrieved 8 Aug 2014.
- Simone, Rose (Oct 9, 2013). "Kik eager to move on after settling spat with BlackBerry". The Record.com. Retrieved 8 Aug 2014.
- "Kik beefs up privacy controls in new version to keep out bad actors". Mobilesyrup.com.
- Students, parents warned about explicit spam messages on Kik Messenger | Globalnews.ca
- Albertans complain Kik messenger spam bot sending sexual messages - Calgary - CBC News
- "Smarties. Congratulations to our winners". MMA. 1 Oct 2014. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- Russell, Jon November 19 2014 TechCrunch. "Chat App Kik Raises $38M And Makes Its First Acquisition, Buying GIF Messenger Relay"
- "Secure Messaging Scorecard. Which apps and tools actually keep your messages safe?". Electronic Frontier Foundation. 2014-11-04.
- "Only 6 Messaging Apps Are Truly Secure". PC Magazine. 5 November 2014. Retrieved 8 January 2015.