||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (February 2014)|
|Initial release||October 19, 2010|
|Stable release||7.2.1 / May 23, 2014|
|Operating system||iOS, Android, Windows Phone 7|
|Available in||English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Swahili|
|Type||Instant Messaging Client, Web Browser|
Kik Messenger is an instant messaging application for mobile devices. The app is available on most iOS, Android, and Windows Phone 8 operating systems free of charge. Kik Messenger is similar to BlackBerry's Messenger, and iPhone's iMessage. Kik uses a smartphone's data plan or Wi-Fi to transmit and receive messages. Kik also allows users to share photos, sketches, mobile webpages, and other content. Kik Messenger requires users to register a username.
Founded in 2009, Kik Interactive is the work of a group of students from the University of Waterloo who wished to create new technologies to be used on mobile smartphones, which they believe are the future of computing and communication. Kik Messenger is the first app developed by Kik.
A beta version of Kik Messenger came out in April 2010. Kik Interactive released Kik Messenger on October 19, 2010. Within 15 days, Kik Messenger reached one million user registrations, with Twitter being credited as a catalyst for the new application's popularity.
On November 24, 2010, Research In Motion removed Kik Messenger from BlackBerry App World and limited the functionality of the software for its users. It also sued the company for copyright infringement. In October 2013, Blackberry and Kik settled the lawsuit, with the terms undisclosed.
On March 7, 2011, Kik announced $8 million in Series A funding by three venture capital firms – RRE Ventures, Spark Capital, and Union Square Ventures. It also announced that Fred Wilson of USV and Adam Ludwin of RRE Ventures would join the company's board of directors.
Early 2012 saw an increase in the number of Kik users, with 450,000 people downloading the app in a day. In April 2012, there were 10 million registered Kik users. Kik Messenger became the top-downloaded free social app in iTunes in the United States in July 2012. As of May 2014, there are 120 million users registered.
On April 22, 2013, Kik announced $19.5 million in Series B funding led by Foundation Capital and including RRE Ventures, Spark Capital and Union Square Ventures. Kik stated that it will use the funding to continue to support its growth, and said that the new injection of cash comes at a crucial point for the company as it sets its sights on broader platform ambitions with the recently introduced Cards feature. In February 2014, the company introduced a browser to the app, enabling the sharing of mobile webpages within Kik.
- Built-in web browser
- Works on different mobile systems
- Embedding images into messages
- See if messages are sending, delivered, or read
- Sketch Content Message
- YouTube Content Messages
- Image Search Content Messages
- External API
- Group conversations of up to ten people
- Photobomb (a Snapchat-like photo-sharing Card)
- "How do I get the Kik app".
- Eichelberg, Amy (2012-04-29). "Android App of the Day: Kik Messenger". The Unlockr. Retrieved 2013-02-11.
- "Is Kik Free?".
- "Kik Messenger Gets off to a Good Start After October Relaunch". ThirdAge. 2010-11-04. Retrieved 2010-12-17.
- "KiK Messenger, free messages for Android, iPhone and BlackBerry". Dailyrumors.net. Retrieved 2010-12-17.
- Motorola il iDEN. "Kik Messenger app blows past 1 million users". Intomobile.com. Retrieved 2010-12-17.
- "RIM bloque une application concurrente A son service BlackBerry Messenger - ActualitAŠs Techno-AŠconomie - TAŠlAŠcoms et mobilitAŠ". Benefice-net.branchez-vous.com. Retrieved 2010-12-17.
- http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/the-inside-story-of-why-blackberry-is-failing/article14563602/comments/. Missing or empty
- http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4146815-kik-eager-to-move-on-after-settling-spat-with-blackberry/. Missing or empty
- Tech Crunch (7 March 2011). "Mobile Messaging Startup Kik Raises $8M; Launches Group Chat And Photo Sharing". TechChrunch. Retrieved 2010-03-08.
- "Kik beefs up privacy controls in new version to keep out bad actors". Mobilesyrup.com.
- "Kik Raises $19.5M Series B, Bets On Its Cards Platform Play To Take On WhatsApp And Others". techcrunch.com.
- "Kik settles on its model for growth and revenue: a messaging app with built-in Web browser". TheNextWeb.com.
- Students, parents warned about explicit spam messages on Kik Messenger | Globalnews.ca
- Albertans complain Kik messenger spam bot sending sexual messages - Calgary - CBC News
- http://www.mobileburn.com/20949/news/kik-messenger-for-android-and-ios-adds-cards-so-members-can-share-videos-sketches-and-images. Missing or empty
- http://kik.com/dev/home.php. Missing or empty