Kilkare Woods, California
|Elevation||827 ft (252 m)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC−8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC−7)|
|†=figure is for zip code|
The town is along Kilkare Road and is in zip code 94586. It lies at an elevation of 827 feet (252 m). 96% of residents of the zip code spoke English as their primary language, while 4% did not. Of those who did not 3% spoke Hindi, and 1% spoke Spanish. The town is served by the CDF (California Dept of Forestry), Livermore-Pleasanton and Fremont fire departments. Students attend elementary school in Sunol and high school at Foothill High School in Pleasanton. There is no police department, so the area is patrolled by the Alameda County Sheriff's Office.
Kilkare Woods began as a private association of summer cottages. It is located along several miles of Kilkare Road and Sinbad Creek, running generally north of Sunol proper. Kilkare Road dead ends as it begins to climb the west slope of Pleasanton Ridge. Kilkare Woods is a close-in commuter haven for southern or eastern Alameda County.
Sunol is conveniently situated, with multiple driving routes available connecting it with Fremont to the west and Pleasanton-Livermore to the east. Foothill Road leads to the major crossroads of freeways 580 and 680 a few miles north at Dublin. Niles Canyon Road is a scenic 7 mile drive west to Fremont. The major urban area of San Jose is about 15 miles to the southwest, with several driving routes available.
- "Kilkare Woods (Alameda County, California)". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- "FIPS55 Data: California". FIPS55 Data. United States Geological Survey. February 23, 2006. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Quill Driver Books. p. 648. ISBN 9781884995149.
- 94586 entry, relocationnow.com, U.S. Census Bureau, Census 2000. Retrieved March 19, 2008.
- 94586, MLA Data Center, American FactFinder, Census 2000, Summary File 3. Retrieved March 19, 2008.
- Victoria Christian (June 7, 2007). "Around Sunol". Sunol.net. Retrieved March 19, 2008.
- Edward G. Brooks, grandson of William Lode, Kilkare Woods maintenance manager, circa 1950s, based on Brooks' first hand knowledge