- For information on the band fronted by Lisa Moorish, see Lisa Moorish
|Studio album by Iggy Pop and James Williamson|
|Genre||Hard rock, protopunk|
|Label|| Bomp Records
|Iggy Pop chronology|
Kill City was originally recorded in 1975 after the disintegration of the group. It was to be used as a demo to give to record labels in hopes of getting Pop a new contract. His vocals were recorded on weekends when he received permission to leave a mental hospital he was staying in at the time for treatment of his long-standing heroin addiction.
The original 1975 'demo' mix of the album remains unheard, with the exception of three tracks which have been released on various compilations including A Million in Prizes and Original Punks: "Johanna", "Consolation Prizes" and "Kill City". These sound markedly different from the final version of the album, with different guitar parts and, in the case of "Johanna," no saxophone.
|Fine Print Magazine||(A)|
1977 remix and original release
There would be no takers for the album until 1977 when, following the success of Pop's solo albums The Idiot and Lust for Life, James Williamson got an advance from Bomp to release the album; some of which was used to fund studio time to finish off the original recordings by adding overdubs and remixing.
Pop later appeared as himself on the Tales from the Crypt TV series and performed the title track.
The master tapes were lost shortly after the release of the original album and all subsequent CD releases were mastered from the original poor quality green vinyl pressing. This partly accounts for the somewhat muddy sound of the album.
In 2010, James Williamson and engineer Ed Cherney remixed the album once more from the original mulitracks. The resulting mixes form a new version of the album, released on Bomp Records on 19 October 2010.
|2.||"Sell Your Love"||3:36|
|3.||"Beyond The Law"||3:00|
|4.||"I Got Nothin'"||3:23|
|7.||"Night Theme (Reprise)"||1:04|
|9.||"No Sense Of Crime"||3:42|
- Iggy Pop (courtesy of N.P.I.) - Vocals
- "Strait" James Williamson - Guitars
- Scott "Troy" Thurston - Keyboards, Bass on "Kill City", "Beyond the Law", "Johanna" and "Night Theme", Backing Vocals, Special Effects, Harmonica
- Brian Glascock - Drums, Congas, African Beaters, Backing Vocals, Guiro
- Steve (from out of nowhere) Tranio - Bass on "Sell Your Love", "I Got Nothin'" & "No Sense of Crime"
- Tony "Fox" Sales - Backing Vocals and Bass on "Lucky Monkeys" & "Master Charge"
- Hunt Sales - Backing Vocals and Drums "Lucky Monkeys" & "Master Charge"
- John "The Rookie" Harden - Saxophone
- Gayna (from the Count Dracula Society) - Background vocals on "Night Theme"
- Special thanks to Ben Edmonds, Jimmy Webb and Gary Webb - for all kinds of things (it's been real guys), Dan & Fred Bourgoise, and Art Collins
- Original Bomp! Cover by David Allen (Artrouble) [IMG]
- "Lucky Monkeys" originally tracked at Maconnel Studios, West LA; remixed at Paramount Studios & John Thomas Studios
- Produced & Mixed by James Williamson
- Kill City at AllMusic
- "CG: Iggy Pop & James Williamson". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- "Kill City by Kindred Winecoff". Fineprintmag.net. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- Scaruffi, Piero (1999). "Stooges". pieroscaruffi.com. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "IGGY POP & JAMES WILLIAMSON'S "KILL CITY" RE-MIXED & REMASTERED OUT 10/19! | AltSounds.com News". Hangout.altsounds.com. 2010-08-12. Retrieved 2012-12-14.