||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (November 2008)|
|Origin||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Genres||Alternative rock, post-punk revival, electronic rock, glam rock, dreampop/shoegaze (early)|
|Labels||Atlantic, Original Signal, Universal Motown, Roadrunner|
|Past members||Garrett Hammond
Kill Hannah was formed by singer-songwriter Mat Devine in 1993. The band is named after Devine's ex-girlfriend. At the time, Devine was singing and playing guitar in a band called In a Jar UK. After the fallout with Hannah, Devine printed up stickers to place on In a Jar UK 7" records bearing the name "Kill Hannah".
Kill Hannah recorded their Atlantic Records debut For Never & Ever in Los Angeles in the winter of 2003 with producer Sean Beavan and mixer Tim Palmer. The album was mostly re-recorded versions of back-catalog songs and numbers that had been performed live for about a year prior. The band shot video for the song "Unwanted," but did not release it until 2006, when they released it as an Internet-only clip.
Through much of 2003 to 2007, Kill Hannah performed with Chevelle, HIM, Papa Roach, Thousand Foot Krutch, AFI, Dashboard Confessional, Neverending White Lights, and The Sounds, while also opening for bands such as Jane's Addiction, Everclear, Eve 6, Mindless Self Indulgence, Thirty Seconds to Mars, and The All-American Rejects.
Kill Hannah signed with Atlantic Records in late 2002, while being managed by Steve Hutton. Kill Hannah has since parted company with Hutton. The band released their second album, Until There's Nothing Left of Us, with Atlantic Records, on August 1, 2006. They signed with Roadrunner Records outside of the US and released Until There's Nothing Left of Us for the UK on March 24. Kill Hannah's Atlantic albums have sold over 100,000 copies.
After finishing the US leg of the Hope for the Hopeless tour with InnerPartySystem, The White Tie Affair, and The Medic Droid, the European leg was interrupted when on October 21, 2008, Kill Hannah's tour bus caught fire while driving through Switzerland. Almost all of their personal belongings were burnt so badly that they were no longer usable, including clothing, laptops, passports and all of the gifts from fans they had acquired during the tour. Although no one was hurt, their schedules for Paris and Belgium had to be canceled whilst they waited for a replacement bus from Manchester, England. The tour then resumed in Stoke, England on October 24.
In an interview with Kerrang! magazine in 2008, vocalist Mat Devine stated that the band will begin preparation for the next studio album after the Hope for the Hopeless tour has ended. However, he stated that this album will be "heavier" and "more aggressive" than the last albums. Commenting on the album he said: "I'm not saying this will be the next Necrophagist or Burzum but its going to be a lot more aggressive and heavier than the others. But I am confident fans will enjoy it as we are 200% prepared so we know what to include and not to include. We've always intended to make a heavy album and this is our time."
Guitarist Jonny Radtke did not join the band on the Europe leg of their fall 2008 Hope for the Hopeless tour. Tom Schleiter, the guitarist from Powerspace, joined them in his place. Radtke returned to play the band's yearly "New Heart for Xmas" show in Chicago (during which the band premiered two new songs: "Snowblinded" and "Radio", but bassist Greg Corner later confirmed in a radio interview with Chicago's Q101 that Radtke had in fact left the band to pursue other projects and had not been present in recording their new album. Posts on Radtke's Twitter account refer to his new side project, Polar Moon.
Due to a change in record labels, Kill Hannah canceled their Spring 2009 United Kingdom tour. The new record deal has the band under a deadline to put out their newest album, Wake Up the Sleepers, by the end of summer 2009; thus forcing the band to stay in the United States to record. The remainder of their fall US tour dates also had to be cancelled after their van and equipment were stolen in Philadelphia in November, 2009.
In August 2009, guitarist Michael Maddox joined the band and has since participated in several shows and tours.
In June, 2010, Kill Hannah announced they would be touring with Smashing Pumpkins on a "special U.S. run of intimate venues" during the summer of 2010.
On October 3, 2010, Kill Hannah announced that their annual "New Heart for Xmas" concert in Chicago would be postponed until further notice due to Mat Devine's involvement in a Broadway musical and other member scheduling conflicts.
On October 11, 2011, Kill Hannah announced that New Heart For Xmas 8 would be at The Bottom Lounge in Chicago, with opening acts Awaken the Empire, and Comasoft. The band also announced that they would be playing an intimate "Storytellers" show at JBTV studios.
Mat Devine has stated that the band is planning on recording an album for a 2012 release. A couple of new songs have been played at concerts of 2013, but none have had an official release and there are only recordings of them from concerts.
|1996||The Beauty in Sinking Ships||Self-released|
|1998||Here Are the Young Moderns||Self-released|
|1999||American Jet Set||Babydoll Records (CD), Arcadeltic Records (iTunes)|
|2003||For Never & Ever||Atlantic Records|
|2006||Until There's Nothing Left of Us||Atlantic Records|
|2009||Wake Up the Sleepers||Original Signal Recordings/Universal Motown Records|
|1996||Hummingbirds the Size of Bullets||Self-released|
|Sleeping Like Electric Eels||Self-released|
|2001||Unreleased Cuts 2000/2001||Self-released|
|2002||Kill Hannah Tour EP||Self-released|
|2006||Lips Like Morphine EP||Atlantic Records|
|2004||The Curse of Kill Hannah||Self-released|
|2007||Hope for the Hopeless||Self-released|
- Lovesick/Nerve Gas (cassette promo; 1997)
- "All That He Wants (American Jet Set)" (3-track single; 1999)
- "Welcome to Chicago, Motherfucker" (1-track single; 2000)
- Kill Hannah Sampler ("Kennedy"/"Big Shot" snippet; 2003)
- "Kennedy" (1-track single; 2003)
- 1993–1999 (5-track CD with four older songs plus "Goodnight, Goodbye"; 2003)
- "A New Heart for Christmas" (1-track single; 2003)
- "Lips Like Morphine" (1-track single; 2006)
- "Lips Like Morphine" Remixes (2006)
- "Crazy Angel" Remixes (2007)
- "Boys and Girls" (promo 3-track single; 2008)
- "New York City Speed" Remixes (iTunes maxi-single; June 2010)
- "Promise Me" (4-track single; February 7, 2011)
- Welcome to Chicago (December, 2005)
- New Heart for X-Mas 6 limited edition (December, 2008)
- Seize the Days (December 2008) 
|Year||Song||US Hot 100||U.S. Modern Rock||Album|
|1998||"Nerve Gas"||-||Trendy Compilation|
|1999||"Hummingbirds the Size of Bullets"||-||-||Hummingbirds the Size of Bullets|
|2003||"Kennedy"||-||-||For Never & Ever|
|2006||"Lips Like Morphine"||-||37||Until There's Nothing Left of Us|
|2008||"Boys and Girls"||-||-||For Never & Ever|
|2009||"Strobe Lights"||-||-||Wake Up the Sleepers|
|2011||"Why I Have My Grandma's Sad Eyes"||-||-|
- Mat Devine – vocals
- Dan Wiese – guitar, backing vocals
- Greg Corner – bass
- Elias Mallin – drums
- Michael Maddox – guitar
- Jonathan Radtke – guitar, backing vocals
- Garrett Hammond – drums
- James Connelly – drums
- Allen Morgenstern – bass
- Daniel Wenberg– drums
- Michael Lee - drums
- Isaac Bender – guitar, keyboards
- Kerry Finerty – lead guitar/backing vocals
- "http://www.musicremedy.com/k/Kill_Hannah/album/For_Never_and_Ever-346.html". MusicRemedy.com. 3-10-2007.
- "Kerrang! Kill Hannah sign to Roadrunner". Kerrang. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Tour bus fire article contactmusic.com.
- "Jonny Radtke (@JonnyRadtke) op Twitter". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- [dead link]
- "Transmission to The Believers; van KILL HANNAH op Myspace". Blogs.myspace.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "Kill Hannah Frontman Leaves Broadway After ‘Incredible Experience’ | News | Rock Sound". Rocksound.tv. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "http://www.omahacityweekly.com/article.php?id=2654". Omaha City Weekly. 2007-08-17.
- Official website
- the KHK (Kill Hannah Kollective) a second family for Kill Hannah fans
- Kill Hannah French website