|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011)|
The Kilner Jar was originally made by a firm of glass bottlemakers from Yorkshire called Kilner. The original Kilner bottlemakers, operated from 1842 when the company was first founded until when 1937 when the company went into bankruptcy. The Kilner Company was taken to court previous to 1937 over the smoke coming from their chimneys and the Judge ordered that "no one had the right to interfere with anyone else's pure air". The company was forced to close down and struggled along for a few years despite 3000 people losing their jobs. In 1937 there was a bankruptcy sale, in which the patent rights to the "Kilner Jar" were sold to the United Glass Bottle company along with the rights to the very similar "Mason" jar that had also been made by Kilner.
In 2000, The Rayware Group purchased the design, patent and trademark of the original Kilner jar and continues to produce them today.
Different names of the company
The various names of the Kilner companies were:
- John Kilner and Co, Castleford, Yorkshire, 1842–44
- John Kilner and Sons, Wakefield, Yorkshire, 1847–57
- Kilner Brothers Glass Co, Thornhill Lees, Yorkshire, 1857–73 also at Conisbrough, Yorkshire, 1863–1873
- Kilner Brothers Ltd, Thornhill Lees, Yorkshire 1873–1920 also at Conisbrough, Yorkshire, 1873–1937.
- Grace's Guides: The Best of British Engineering - Kilner Brothers, Grace's Guide, 5 February 2008, (Accessed May 2011)
- Shephard, Sue (2001) Pickled, potted, and canned: how the art and science of food preserving changed the world, Simon & Schuster
- Wagstaffe, Reginald and John Havelock Fidler (eds) (1968) The Preservation Of Natural History Specimens. Volume Two - Zoology - Vertebrates. Also Botany & Geology. H. F. & G. Witherby. London
- BBC, WDYTYA? Series One: Celebrity Gallery, http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyhistory/get_started/wdytya_s1_celeb_gallery_04.shtml
- Why we love the Kilner jar, Homemaker Magazine, http://homemakermagazine.co.uk/why-we-love-the-kilner-jar
- Jeremy Clarkson, Who Do You Think You are Magazine (2009) http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/episode/jeremy-clarkson accessed Jan 2014)