|Occupation||professor, editor, poet, fiction writer, critic|
|Alma mater||University of Iowa (B.A. and M.F.A.)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Ph.D.)
|Literary movement||New Formalism|
Donald Justice Poetry Prize, 2007.Connecticut Professor of the Year, 1994.
Kim Bridgford is an award-winning poet, editor, college professor, fiction writer, and critic. In her poetry, she writes primarily in traditional forms, of which the sonnet is her form of choice. She is the director of the West Chester University Poetry Center.
As editor-in-chief at Mezzo Cammin, a journal of poetry by women, she founded The Mezzo Cammin Women Poets Timeline Project, which is designed to become the world's largest database of women poets. She also edited Dogwood: A Journal of Poetry and Prose.
In 1994, she moved to Wallingford, Connecticut with her husband Peter Duval, also an award-winning author of fiction and who later became a professor at Fairfield University as well. In 1996, their son, Nick, was born.
In August 2010, she became the current director of the West Chester University Poetry Center in Pennsylvania, moving to the state with her family. She had been a professor of English at Fairfield University for 21 years.
In 1994, Bridgford was named Connecticut Professor of the Year by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. In 1999, she obtained a fellowship grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.
She is also the recipient of the Connecticut Commission on the Arts.
Bridgford has written three books of poetry:
- Undone (Wordtech Communications, April 2003))
- Instead of Maps (Wordtech Communications, May 1, 2005), nominated for the Poets' Prize
- In the Extreme: Sonnets about World Records (Contemporary Poetry Review Press; First edition, June 5, 2007), winner of Donald Justice Poetry Prize
In addition, Bridgford's poetry has appeared in The North American Review, The Christian Science Monitor, and The Iowa Review.
- Shannon Moore. "Largest Database Of Women's Poets To Launch In Washington On March 27". All Headline News. Retrieved 2010-08-05.
- Verse Daily: Kim Bridgford
- "Fairfield University - Faculty - Dr. Kim Bridgford". Archived from the original on 2010-08-01.
- Sara Quigley In Poetry And Politics Fairfield Professors Rise To The Occasion, Fairfield Mirror (October 10, 2007)
- Jane Gordon. "NOTICED; Surprised by an Award, but Not Speechless." The New York Times. December 25, 2005
- Michael Peich "Bridgford Announcement."
- Nancy Kuhl. "Connecticut Poetry Circuit-- Kim Bridgford." Yale-readings. October 22, 2007.
- "Wintonbury Library Poetry Series Spring 2004." The Fairfield Review. Last modified: 01/22/2008
- Extreme: Sonnets about World-Records, Amazon.com Profile