||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
||This article may be written from a fan's point of view, rather than a neutral point of view. (December 2013)|
|Native name||김범수, 金範修|
|Born||January 26, 1979|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Beom-su|
Kim Bum Soo (김범수, 金範修 born January 26, 1979), is a South Korean R&B and soul singer (see also K-pop) famous for his smooth vocals and emotive ballads.
Particularly, he is noted for the song "보고싶다 (bo go ship da)", the title of which means 'I miss you' in English. This song became the theme song of Korean drama 천국의 계단 (Stairway to Heaven).
Kim decided upon pursuing a music career at the age of 20, inspired and encouraged after singing with the local church choir throughout his youth. At Seoul Institute of the Arts, Joongbu University, he majored in music. Shortly after graduating, Kim attended an audition where he landed a recording contract with the label 'Team Entertainment.' Subsequently, his debut album was not released for another two years.
Prior to 'bo go ship da'(보고싶다), another of Kim's songs, 'Promise', from the album of the same name, had also been used for the popular MBC drama, 'Watch and Watch Again' (1999), establishing Kim's staple image as a ballad singer. Critic and writer Catherine Chan recalls the feeling surrounding the song as a 'sentimental lovers' favorite,' describing how the song 'had all the ingredients - a tender voice, lovely melody and dreamy lyrics.' (source: http://www.koreahkfriendship.org)
Kim's 5th album, 'Remember Kim Bum Soo 5th & So Long...' was so titled as a reference to the fact that he released it right before he was about to start his two-year compulsory military service.
The song 오아시스 (Oasis) was released in this album. The song has a slightly more commercially American R&B feel than the bulk of his music, demonstrating the stylistic growth Kim has experienced over the years.
On Kim's 5th album, he also pays homage to those that have inspired and influenced him on the track 'Like'. Amongst those he names are Stevie Wonder, Eric Benet, Brian McKnight, Babyface, R. Kelly, Mary J. Blige and Lenny Kravitz. He has also incorporated covers of songs by some of these artists in his live concerts, noticeably Stevie Wonder's 'Lately' and R. Kelly 'I Believe I Can Fly.'
The only of his albums to be produced in the US, 'Remember Kim Bum Soo 5th & So Long...' also references Kim's connection to the Christian faith, with the gospel-inspired CCM track, 'The One In My Life'. The song clearly alludes to Kim's childhood church choir days, giving the 'goodbye-and-remember'-themed album a nostalgic sense of 'ending at the beginning.'
Kim continues to do performances in several countries within East Asia, but also in other parts of the world—notably in North America, where Korean pop culture (drama and music) has skyrocketed in popularity within the last decade. Past events have been held in Hawaii, New York, Los Angeles, and Boston, as well as in parts of Canada.
After military service
Kim returned to his music career after he completed his military service. His sixth album, released in 2008, was titled The Practical Usage of Sadness(슬픔활용법). While delivering several powerful ballads on this album, he also branched out into new genres, such as on the country tune "님아."
- 1 - A Promise... (1999)
- 약속 (Promise)
- 사랑이 떠나가네 (Love Leaves)
- 사랑일뿐야 (Just Love) (Remake)
- 너의 시작으로 (Your Start)
- 11月 3日...
- 너의 눈물처럼 (비가 와) (Like Your Tears (The Rain Comes))
- 더 늦기전에 (Before It Gets Late)
- 이젠 떠나가세요 (Now Leave)
- This Masquerade
- 첫 사랑 (First Love)
- 꿈 (Dream)
- 2 - Remember (2000)
- Once Upon A Day
- 하루 (Once Upon A Day)
- 그런 이유라는 걸 (Such a Reason)
- 그대 내게 다시 (Come Back to Me Again)
- 눈물과 바꾼 사랑 (Tears and Changed Love)
- 별이 진다네 (A Star Falls)
- 잊지마 (Don't Forget)
- 사랑이 저만치 가네 (feat. 이현도/Lee Hyun-do) (Love Leaves Me Off)
- 아마도 (Maybe)
- Rainy Day
- 수요일에는 빨간 장미를 (Red Rose on Saturday)
- 그대와 영원히 (With You Forever)
- 하루만 더 (Just One More Day)
- 비처럼 음악처럼 (feat. 김현식/Kim Hyun-sik) (Like Rain, Like Music)
- 하루 (Original Ver.) (Once Upon A Day)
- 사랑일 뿐야 (Bonus Track) (Just Love)
- 약속 (Bonus Track) (Promise)
- 2.5 - new song & special, 2001
- 3 - I want to see, 2002
- 4 - The 4th Episode, 2004
- Areumdaun Chaero (In The Beautiful State)
- Be Mine
- Gaseume Jineun Taeyang (The Sun That Sets In My Heart)
- Geojitmar (Lies)
- Handongan Tteum Haesseotji (I Was Hesitant For A While) (Remake)
- Huhoega Sirta (I Don't Want To Regret)
- Naui Neoege (Me To You)
- Sarangmaneuron (Only Love)
- Seulpeum Hangaunde (The Very Middle Of Sorrow)
- To Me
- Wae Tto (What Now)
- Yeongwone Gwanhayeo (About Eternity)
- Kim Bum Soo ft. Park Hyo Shin - Muje (Untitled)
- 5 - Remember Kim Bum Soo & So Long, 2006
- 6 - Kim Bum Soo 6th, The Practical Usage of Sadness (grief hwalyongbeop), 2008
- 7 - 7th, Solista Part.1 (2010) 7th, Solista Part.2 (2011)