He received degrees from Curtin University and the University of Melbourne in Australia and a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley, USA. His book Framing Places (2nd ed. 2008)explores theories of place as mediators of power, incorporating case studies of politics of public space, housing, shopping malls and corporate towers. His 2005 book Fluid City documents, analyses and critiques the enormous transformations of Melbourne's most important urban waterfronts during the period 1989-2003, over which time the city acquired a set of radical new faces to meet the challenges of globalisation. Becoming Places (2010) explores the formation of place identity and develops a theory of place as dynamic assemblage. www.placeresearch.net/
- Dovey, K (2005) Fluid City: Transforming Melbourne's Urban Waterfront, London: Routledge (ISBN 0415359236 (pbk.))
- Dovey, K (2008) Framing Places: Mediating Power in Built Form, 2nd ed, London: Routledge (ISBN 978-0-415-41635-1 (pbk))
- Dovey, K (2010) Becoming Places: Urbanism / Architecture / Identity / Power, London: Routledge (ISBN 978-0-415-41637-5 (pbk.))
- Dovey, K. 'The Politics of Urban Spectacle' in: Global Cities, Local Sites, Straw, W. & Tallack, D. (eds) Melbourne: MUP, Electronic book, 2009. <www.u21onlinebooks.com/index.php/component/option,com_u21>
- Dovey, K. ‘The Global Edifice Complex’, in: J. Nevarez and G. Moser (eds) On Global Grounds, New York: Nova Science Publishers, 2009.
- Dovey, K. Woodcock, I. & Wood, S. 'Senses of Urban Character', in: Vanclay, F. et al. (eds) Making Sense of Place, Canberra: National Museum of Australia, 2008, pp.229-38.
- Dovey, K. (2007) "I Mean to be Critical But..." in: Rendell, J. et al. (eds) "Critical Architecture", London: Routledge, pp.252-60.
- Dovey, K. & Polakit, K. (2006) "Urban Slippage: Smooth and Striated Streetscapes in Bangkok", in: Franck, K. & Stevens, Q. (eds) "Loose Space", London: Routledge, pp.168-193.
- Dovey, K. (2006) 'Architecture' in: Beilharz, P. & Hogan, T. (eds) Sociology: Place, Time and Division, Melbourne: Oxford U.P., pp. 323-327.
- Dovey, K (2005) "Home as Paradox" in: G. Rowles, & H. Chuadhury (eds) Home and Identity in Late Life, New York: Springer, pp.361-70.
- Dovey, K (2002) "The Silent Complicity of Architecture". In J. Hillier & E.V. Rooksby (eds), Habitus: A sense of place. Aldershot: Ashgate, pp. 267-280.
- Dovey, K (2001) "The Aesthetics of Place". In B. Cold (ed), Aesthetics, Well-being and Health: Essays within architecture and environmental aesthetics. Aldershot: Ashgate, pp. 93-101.
- Dovey, K (2001)"On Politics and Urban Space". In J. Barrett & C. Butler-Bowden (eds), Debating the City: An Anthology. Sydney: Historic Houses Trust of NSW and University of Western Sydney, pp. 53-69.
- Jacobs, J., Dovey, K. & Lochert, M. (2000) "Authorizing Aboriginality in Architecture", in L. Lokko (ed), White Papers, Black Marks, Chichester: Wiley, pp.218-35.
- Dovey, K. (2000) "Aboriginal Cultural Centres", in S. Kleinert, & M. Neale, (eds), The Oxford Companion to Aboriginal Art and Culture, Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 419–423.
- Woodcock, I. Dovey, K., Wollan, S. & Beyerle, A., Modelling the compact city: Capacities and visions for Melbourne, Australian Planner, 47 (2), 2010, pp. 94–104.
- Dovey, K., Woodcock, I. & Wood, S. ‘A Test of Character’ Urban Studies, 46 (1/2) 1-21.
- Dovey, K., Woodcock, I. & Wood, S. ‘Understanding Neighbourhood Character’, Australian Planner, 46 (3), September 2009.
- Woodcock, I., Dovey, K. & Wood, S. ‘ The Character of the Compact City: Intensification and resident opposition’, Urban Planning International, 23 (5), 2008, pp. 35-43.
- Owen, C. & Dovey, K. ‘Fields of Sustainable Architecture’, Journal of Architecture, 13 (1), 2007, pp.9-21.
- Stevens, Q. & Dovey, K. (2004) "Appropriating the Spectacle: Play and politics in a leisure landscape", Journal of Urban Design, 9 (3), pp.351-65.
- Dovey K. & Dickson S.N. (2002) "Architecture and freedom? Programmatic innovation in the work of Koolhaas/OMA". Journal of Architectural Education, 56(1):5-14.
- Dovey K. & Sandercock L. (2002) "Hype and hope: Imagining Melbourne's Docklands". City. 6(1), 83-101.
- Sandercock L. & Dovey K.G. (2002) "Pleasure, politics and the 'public interest': Melbourne's riverscape revitalization". Journal of the American Planning Association. 68(2), 2002:151-164.
- Dovey, K. (2001) "Memory, Democracy and Urban Space: Bangkok’s Path to Democracy", Journal of Urban Design, 6 (3), 2001, pp.265-82.
- Dovey K., Fitzgerald J.L. & Choi Y. (2001) "Safety Becomes Danger: Dilemmas of drug-use in public space". Health and Place, 7, 319-331.
- Dovey, K. (2000) "Redistributing Danger: Enclosure and Encounter in Urban Design", Australian Planner 37(1), 10–13
- Dovey, K. (2000) "Myth and Media: Constructing Aboriginal Architecture", Journal of Architectural Education 54(1), 2–6