Kim Hee-ae as an LG DIOS Art Flower model (2009)
April 23, 1967 |
Jeju City, Jeju Province, South Korea
B.A. in Theater and Film
M.A. in Communication and Journalism
|Spouse(s)||Lee Chan-jin (m. 1996)|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Hui-ae|
Kim Hee-ae (born April 23, 1967) is a South Korean actress. She is best known for her leading roles in Korean dramas such as Sons and Daughters (1992), Perfect Love (2003), My Husband's Woman (2007), A Wife's Credentials (2012), and Secret Love Affair (2014).
Kim was a freshman at Hyehwa Girls' High School when she was discovered by the younger brother of one of her teachers; he had been visiting the school by chance and worked for an advertising agency. This led to her first modeling job in a commercial for a school uniform brand in 1978.
In 1983, Kim made her acting debut in the film The First Day of the Twentieth Year. While studying at Chung-Ang University as a Theater and Film major, she appeared in her first television drama on KBS in 1986. Over the next decade, she would go on to have a successful career on Korean television, alongside fellow top actresses Chae Shi-ra and Ha Hee-ra. Among her most significant dramas during this period were Beyond the Mountains (1991) and Sons and Daughters (1992), for which she won the highest award at the MBC Drama Awards and the Baeksang Arts Awards, called the Daesang ("Grand Prize").
She again drew praise in 2003 for two consecutive hit dramas. In Wife, her husband vanishes and reappears years later as an amnesiac with another family, while in Perfect Love (written by Kim Soo-hyun), her role as the perfect wife and mother who gets diagnosed with a terminal illness earned her another Daesang from the Baeksang Arts Awards. She worked again with Kim a year later in Precious Family (also known as Letters to My Parents), playing a woman who marries into a rich family who treats her badly after she gives birth to a baby with autism.
Her third collaboration with Kim Soo-hyun was 2007's My Husband's Woman, but unlike her previous saintly characters, this time she was cast against type as a sexy, worldly woman having an affair with her best friend's husband. The adultery drama was a hit with a peak viewership rating of 38.7%, and Kim yet again won the Daesang at the Korea Drama Awards and the SBS Drama Awards.
Afterwards Kim went on a brief hiatus, during which she continued to appear in commercials and magazines, gaining a reputation as a style icon for Korean middle-aged women (called "ajumma") by inspiring them to wear younger and edgier clothes. Kim returned to acting four years later with Midas, in the role of a wealthy chaebol heiress who fosters greed and ambition in a young lawyer. She then won Best Actress at the Baeksang Arts Awards for her portrayal of a housewife obsessed with her children's education who finds herself falling for the professor next door in A Wife's Credentials, one of the inaugural dramas in 2012 of new cable channel jTBC.
2013 marked Kim's first regular appearance in a reality show with Noonas Over Flowers (or Sisters Over Flowers), in which she, Yoon Yeo-jeong, Kim Ja-ok, Lee Mi-yeon and Lee Seung-gi go on a backpacking trip around Croatia and Turkey.
In 2014, Kim returned to the big screen after a 21-year absence in Elegant Lies, a film adaptation of Kim Ryeo-ryeong's novel about teen bullying which leads to a young girl's suicide. Kim said she accepted the project because the script was "faultless" and she felt empathy for the characters, and one review described her performance as "excellent as the grieving mother [...] understated but somehow believable, touching and honest."
Shortly after, Kim reunited with the writer and director of A Wife's Credentials in Secret Love Affair, about an art foundation director who embarks on a passionate affair with a poor but talented pianist 20 years her junior.
She next plays the muse of real-life folk music group Twin Folio in upcoming film C'est Si Bon, named after a music lounge located in Myeong-dong which was famous in the 1970s and 1980s for its live performances.
|Year||English title||Korean title||Role||Network|
|1986||A Woman's Heart||여심||Song Da-young||KBS|
|Terms of Endearment||애정의 조건||Kim Won-mi||KBS|
|1988||Forget Tomorrow||내일 잊으리||Seo In-ae||MBC|
|1989||Congratulations||당신의 축배||Jeon Yeo-ok||MBC|
|1990||What Do Women Want||여자는 무엇으로 사는가||Cha Young-gun||MBC|
|Winter Wanderer||겨울 나그네||Da-hye||KBS|
|500 Years of Joseon: Daewongun||조선왕조 오백년: 대원군||Empress Myeongseong||MBC|
|I'm Still Loving You||사랑해 당신을||Wan-joo||MBC|
|1991||The Beginning of the End||이별의 시작||Jung Hye-jung||MBC|
|Beyond the Mountains||산너머 저쪽||Kang Myung-ae||MBC|
|The Kingdom of Anger||분노의 왕국||Min Jae-kyung||MBC|
|Sons and Daughters||아들과 딸||Lee Hoo-nam||MBC|
|1993||The Stormy Season||폭풍의 계절||Lee Hong-joo||MBC|
|1995||Love and Marriage||사랑과 결혼||Yoon Soo-bin||MBC|
|Love Formula||연애의 기초||Choi Jeong-hee||MBC|
|1999||하나뿐인 당신||Jang Seo-young||MBC|
|Perfect Love||전한 사랑||Ha Young-ae||SBS|
|2004||Precious Family||부모님 전상서||Ahn Sung-sil||KBS2|
|2006||Snow Flower||눈꽃||Lee Kang-ae||SBS|
|2007||My Husband's Woman||내 남자의 여||Lee Hwa-young||SBS|
|2012||A Wife's Credentials||아내의 자격||Yoon Seo-rae||jTBC|
|2013||Sisters Over Flowers||꽃보다 누나||Herself||tvN|
|2014||Secret Love Affair||밀회||Oh Hye-won||jTBC|
|Year||English title||Korean title||Role|
|1983||The First Day of the Twentieth Year||스무해 첫째 날|
|1985||Reminiscent Flame||불의 회상|
|My Love Jjang-gu||내 사랑 짱구||Mi-hye|
|1987||The Hero Comes Back||영웅 돌아오다|
|1993||The 101st Proposition||101번째 프로포즈||Jung-won|
|2014||Elegant Lies||우아한 거짓말||Yoo Hyun-sook|
|C'est Si Bon||쎄시봉||Min Ja-young|
|Year||English title||Korean title||Station|
|1986||Popular Music FM with Kim Hee-ae||김희애의 FM인기가요||KBS Happy FM|
Awards and nominations
|1986||KBS Drama Awards||Best New Actress||A Woman's Heart||Won|
|1987||Our Star Awards||Best New Actress||Won|
|23rd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress (TV)||Won|
|1990||MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Forget Tomorrow||Won|
|1991||MBC Drama Awards||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Beyond the Mountains||Won|
|1993||29th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress (TV)||Sons and Daughters||Won|
|Grand Prize (Daesang) for TV||Won|
|MBC Drama Awards||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Won|
|TV Journal||Star of the Year||Won|
|1994||30th Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actress (TV)||Won|
|6th Korea Broadcasting Producer Awards||Won|
|1996||8th Korea Broadcasting Producer Awards||Won|
|2003||39th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress (TV)||Wife||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||SBSi Award||Won|
|Top 10 Stars||Won|
|2004||40th Baeksang Arts Awards||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Perfect Love||Won|
|16th Korea Broadcasting Producer Awards||Won|
|2007||1st Korea Drama Awards||Grand Prize (Daesang)||My Husband's Woman||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||Top 10 Stars||Won|
|Grand Prize (Daesang)||Won|
|2008||1st Style Icon Awards||Style Icon, TV actress category||N/A||Won|
|2011||SBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Special Planning Drama||Midas||Nominated|
|2013||49th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress (TV)||A Wife's Credentials||Won|
|2014||50th Baeksang Arts Awards||Fashionista Award||N/A||Won|
|Best Actress||Elegant Lies||Nominated|
- Cheon, Seung-hoon (24 November 2003). ""If I Were Young-ae, I Would Have Become an Invalid"". The Dong-a Ilbo. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Kim, Soon-deok (5 January 2004). "Kim Soo-hyun's Power". The Dong-a Ilbo. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Suh, Jung-bo (24 August 2004). "Kim Hye-soo and Kim Hee-ae to Compete in Weekend TV Dramas". The Dong-a Ilbo. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "Actress Kim Hee-ae". The Dong-a Ilbo. 12 April 2007. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "Kim Hee-ae's Outstanding Acting Sparks Breakup Rumors". 4 May 2007. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "My Man's Woman Empties Streets". The Chosun Ilbo. 7 June 2007. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Han, Jane (18 January 2010). "Ajumma Adopt Stylish New Life". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Kwon, Mee-yoo (22 February 2011). "Money, ambition and love blend in Midas". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Sung, So-young (1 December 2011). "TV enters new era with launch of four networks". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Lee, Hye-ji (9 May 2013). "Yoo Jae-suk, Ryu Seung-ryong Win Top Prizes at 2013 Paeksang Arts Awards". TenAsia. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Cha, Yo-rim (27 November 2013). "Sisters over Flowers to showcase actresses' feminine charm". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Sunwoo, Carla (29 November 2013). "Hit travel show tries with 'sisters'". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "Reality Show Catapults Kim Hee-ae into Fashion Icon Status". The Chosun Ilbo. 6 January 2014. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Lee, Sun-min (2 April 2013). "Kim Hee-ae will return to big screen". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "Kim Hee-ae Returns to Silver Screen After Two Decades". The Chosun Ilbo. Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- Jin, Eun-soo (21 February 2014). "Elegant Lies looks at family's ugly truths". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Lee, Claire (26 February 2014). "Elegant Lies tackles teen bullying". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Lee, Jeong-bong (17 March 2014). "The cougar and the pianist". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Kim, Hee-eun (19 March 2014). "Koreans quickly falling in love with Secret Love Affair". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Jin, Eun-soo (11 March 2014). "1970s folk film announces cast". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-06-22.