Hyuna performing in July 2012
June 6, 1992 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Occupations||Rapper, singer-songwriter, dancer, lyricist, television personality, model, designer|
|Labels||Cube, Universal (current)
|Revised Romanization||Gim Hyeon-a|
Kim Hyuna (Hangul: 김현아; Hanja: 金泫我/金泫雅; born June 6, 1992), often performing under the mononym Hyuna, stylized HyunA, is a South Korean rapper, singer-songwriter, dancer, lyricist, model, designer and television personality. She is best known for being the lead rapper of the Korean girl group 4Minute, and musical duo Trouble Maker.
Hyuna first rose to fame as the lead rapper of the Korean girl group Wonder Girls, before leaving in 2007 due to issues relating to her health. In 2008, she transferred to Cube Entertainment subsequently joining 4Minute a year later. Their debut single, "Hot Issue", has gone on to become their most successful single yet, selling over 4 million copies. She has also become notable for her solo career outside of her girl group, with her debut single, "Change" reaching sales of over 2 million copies, and her cameo appearance in Psy's "Gangnam Style", later featuring in the women's perspective follow-up, "Oppa Is Just My Style". She describes her own solo career as "performance-oriented music".
- 1 Early life and education
- 2 Career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Discography
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Endorsements
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Early life and education
Hyuna was born on June 6, 1992 in Seoul, South Korea. She attended Choongam Middle School and Korea High School of Music and Arts and currently attends Kyunghee University, majoring in art culture, receiving special admission to the school.
Originally, Hyuna's Hanja name was supposed to be "泫我". (simplified Chinese: 泫我; traditional Chinese: 泫我; pinyin: Xuàn Wǒ). However, her Chinese teacher told her that it sounded weird in Mandarin and recommended her to adopt "泫雅" (simplified Chinese: 泫雅; traditional Chinese: 泫雅; pinyin: Xuàn Yǎ) as her name for promotional activities in Taiwan. Hyuna agreed to the change after commenting that "泫雅" sounded adorable.
2007: Wonder Girls
In 2007, Hyuna made her debut with the Wonder Girls, a girl group managed by JYP Entertainment, as the group's main rapper. She participated in the songs of the group's debut album The Wonder Begins, released in February 2007. She was a part of the group's television shows MTV Wonder Girls for two seasons, and co-hosted with Wonder Girls' Sohee and Fly to the Sky singer Brian Joo at Show! Music Core from May 12 to June 30.
Hyuna collaborated with Lee Gi-kwang for the song "2009" from his debut album First Episode: A New Hero, and she also appeared in his first single "Dancing Shoes"'s music video which was released on March 30, 2009. On August 13, 2009 she rapped for Navi's song "Wasteful Tears" and she also appeared in the MV for this song. Hyuna also appeared in Mighty Mouth's music video for "Love Class" with Uee from After School.
On August 18, 2009 Hyuna featured for Brave Brothers together with Maboos, Red Roc, Basick & M for his song "Bittersweet".
She became part of the "Dream Team Girl Group" for Samsung's Anycall called "4 Tomorrow". Their first digital single "Tomorrow" was released on October 6, 2009, and the official music video was released on October 12, starring actor Lee Dong Gun, who also starred in each member's individual drama version of the video. Hyuna's version was released on October 27, 2009. The Dream Team was composed of Hyuna (4Minute), Seung Yeon (Kara), Uee (After School) & Gain (Brown Eyed Girls).
Hyuna was also part of Invincible Youth, a South Korean variety show. However, she left the show due to some scheduling conflicts with her group's overseas promotions on 11 June 2010.
2010: Solo debut and controversy
On January 4, 2010, Hyuna released the single "Change" which debuted high on various online charts while also becoming a top search term. Hyuna commenced promotions for "Change". The song reached #14 on the Gaon 2010 digital yearly charts with 2,469,354 copies sold.
On January 14, 2010, the "Change" music video was flagged with a 19+ rating due to Hyuna's provocative dancing, citing it to be inappropriate to minors. Cube Entertainment stated that the music video would be re-edited and submitted for approval. However, broadcast station SBS, announced the music video would be restricted for a 15+ audience instead, and MBC announced that it would still be viewable for all audiences. Her "Change" promotions ended in March 2010.
On February 10, Hyuna released a digital single, "Love Parade", featuring T-MAX's member Park Yun-hwa.
She also rapped a duet with G.NA called "Say You Love Me", in which she wrote/composed the rap lyrics of the song and became a hot topic on Korean portal sites. The duet was released on November 10, 2010.
2011: Bubble Pop! and Trouble Maker
CEO Hong Seungsong of Cube Entertainment announced that Hyuna would make a comeback with her first mini-album in May, 2011. He stated that, "Hyuna will have her second solo song which is expected to be released in May. Though this time, fans should expect a radical change in her concept."
After several teasers, Hyuna released her first mini album, titled Bubble Pop! featuring five new songs, with a title track titled "Bubble Pop!". The MV teaser for "Bubble Pop!" was released on June 30, 2011 and the music video was released on July 5. The MV also stars MBLAQ's Lee Joon. In August, the Korea Communications Standards Commission partially banned TV broadcasting of the video for allegedly racy content.
On September 28, 2011, Hyuna ranked 17th on Billboard's ’21 Under 21′, showcasing the staff’s top picks for the world’s hottest underage stars. The list included other young stars such as Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez and Miley Cyrus.
Trouble Maker's first mini album, Trouble Maker, consists of a dance track as well as an emotional ballad, a solo song for Hyuna, and a solo song for Hyunseung. The unit started revealing their teaser photos on November 25 through their official YouTube channel "troublemakerofficial", and unleashed their album on December 1.
2012: Ice Cream
On February 12, 2012 it was revealed that "The Birth of a Family" Season 2 will follow up with Hyuna and singer G.NA. Birth of a Family is an "animal communion variety" program where idols adopt stray pets and take care of them for a certain period of time to raise awareness for animal rights. Hyuna and G.NA will be taking care of a pet and raising it for a period of 2 months. The first episode with the two singers will be broadcast on March 3.
On March 14, 2012, it was revealed that Hyuna will be launching her own fashion brand called Hyuna x SPICYCOLOR. Hyuna x SPICYCOLOR will be a "retro, chic, and sexy" concept, pulling inspiration from the vintage looks of the 1950s and 1960s. Hyuna intends to be highly involved, starting from the concept development, design, as well as directing the photo shoots. Hyuna stated, "Although as an artist I did show a lot of sexy concepts, for this brand which will be launching at the end of March, I worked very hard to deliver styles that are not only sexy, but also fashionable and stylish. For this spring, if you own a single item mixed with lace, anyone can easily complete a trendy look."
Hyuna also appeared as the central female dancer and love interest in the Psy music video for "Gangnam Style," having been selected personally by Psy during the initial production stage. Psy released the female version of Gangnam Style, known as "Oppa Is Just My Style" in August 2012, featuring additional vocals by Hyuna.
Hyuna released her second mini album titled Melting on October 21, 2012 with the title track "Ice Cream". The song was produced by mega hitmaker Brave Brothers, being the first collaborative effort between the producer and Hyuna as a solo artist. The video for Ice Cream was released on October 22, 2012 and features a cameo by Psy. Four days after release, the music video tied the record for the K-pop music video to achieve ten million views on YouTube the fastest. The record is now held by both Girls' Generation's "The Boys" in addition to "Ice Cream". This achievement is especially notable because it even exceeds Psy's attachment rate for his viral hit, "Gangnam Style", which took fifteen days to acquire the same number of views. Melting is also notable for Hyuna's contributions as a lyricist and composer for "Very Hot" and "To My Boyfriend".
In October, reports suggested that "Very Hot" from Hyuna's second EP Melting was banned by television networks KBS and MBC. The networks objected to the use of the brand KakaoTalk. And she expressed her opinion on TV.
On the October 21, 2012 episode of Inkigayo, the live music show revealed a teaser video hinting that twenty of the most-wanted K-pop stars would transform into four new project groups in the yearly event. Hyuna will be part of the super idol group Dazzling Red with Sistar's Hyolin, Secret's Hyoseong, After School's Nana and Kara's Nicole. Brave Brothers is set to produce the group's new title song. Slated to air on December 29, the group will perform the tunes only one time on stage and the profits from online streaming and downloading of the songs would be donated to people in need. The song "This Person" was released on December 27, 2012.
On March 7, Hyuna was announced to be a spokesmodel for Toyota Corolla. Hyuna released for Toyota a new song called "My Color". A music video teaser was released on March 8, with a full music video released on March 12.
On May 24, Hyuna as G by Guess's spokesperson and makeup artist SON & PARK launched charitable activities "KISS OF HOPE". G by Guess launched "KISS OF HOPE" package in which all the income will be donated to the education of children in poor countries.
In October, Cube Entertainment had Hyuna and Hyunseung make a comeback as Trouble Maker. They released the single "There Is No Tomorrow" from its Chemistry EP  The song reached number one on ten of Korea's major music charts, and was deemed by Instiz.net as an All-Kill.
On March 11, Hyuna performed at the SXSW 2014 music festival at Austin, Texas as part of the "K-Pop Night Out" program. She then went to Los Angeles to film a Funny or Die sketch with Rita Ora.
Hyuna has a tattoo on her left shoulder that says, "My mother is the heart that keeps me alive." She later revealed another tattoo,on her right inner arm reading "Tempus", which means ‘time’ in Latin.
- Change (2010)
- My Color (2013)
|2006–2007||MTV Wonder Girls (Season 1)||Herself|
|2007||MTV Wonder Girls (Season 2)||Herself|
|2010||Waving the Korean Flag||Herself|
|2011||Dancing with the Stars||Herself|
|2012||KBS's Birth of a Family||Herself|
|Running Man||Herself (Ep. 93-94)|
|Top Gear Korea||Herself (Season 2 Ep. 6)|
|2013||Running Man||Herself (Ep. 132)|
Aside from her endorsements alongside 4Minute, Hyuna has also endorsed the following brands:
|2008||Cyon Bboy Championship||[better source needed]|
|2012||Lotte Liquor|| Until 2014|
|Samsung Galaxy S III Anymode|
|FIFA Online 3|| Until 2013|
|2013||G by Guess|| Until 2014|
|2014||Netmarble Mystic Fighter|||
Awards and nominations
|Gaon Chart Awards|
|Mnet Asian Music Awards|
|2010||Best Dance Performance – Solo||Change||Nominated|
|2011||Bubble Pop!||Won |
|Song of the Year||Nominated|
|Soompi Gayo Awards|
|2010||Top Digital Single||Change||Nominated|
|2011||Top Female Singer||Hyuna||Nominated|
|Top 10 Singers||Nominated|
|Top 50 Songs (#24)||Bubble Pop!||Won|
|2012||Top Mixed Group or Male-Female Collaborations||Ice Cream||Nominated|
|Top 50 Songs (#38)||Won|
|2010||Best Female Solo Artist||Hyuna||Nominated|
|Best Social Network Personality||Nominated|
|2012||Best Female Solo Artist||Nominated|
|Best Music Video||Ice Cream||Nominated|
|2011||Most Viewed Music Video||Bubble Pop!||Won|
|Melon Music Awards|
|2012||Global Star Award||Hyuna||Nominated|
|2012||100,000,000 views||Oppa Is Just My Style||Won|
|Mnet 20's Choice Awards|
|2012||20's Performance||Hyuna||Won |
|SBS MTV Best of the Best|
|Best Solo Female (Live)||Nominated|
|Best Collaboration with PSY||Oppa Is Just My Style||Nominated|
|Seoul Music Awards|
|2013||Bonsang Award||Ice Cream||Nominated|
|YinYueTai V-Chart Awards|
|2013||Best Korean Female Artist||Hyuna||Won|
- Wu, Jianheng Ken (host) (January 22, 2010). "娛樂E世代 (Entertainment E Generation)" (in Mandarin). 中廣流行網 (BCC I Like Radio). 40:21 minutes in. BCC.
- Robert Michael Poole (November 16, 2012). "HEY, SEXY LADY: HYUNA, KPOP'S GANGNAM GIRL". Interview (magazine). Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- "Hyuna leaves Wonder Girls". August 1, 2007.
- (Chinese) "Wondergirls前成员贤雅回归歌谣届". Sina. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- "데뷔하루 앞둔 포미닛 "라이브 걱정없어, 실력으로 승부하겠다"" (in Korean). Newsen. April 4, 2010.
- "K-pop stars scholarships irk students". The Korea Times. 18 July 2011. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- Wu, Jianheng Ken (host) (22 January 2010). "娛樂E世代 (Entertainment E Generation)" (in Mandarin). 中廣流行網 (BCC I Like Radio). 40:21 minutes in. BCC.
- (Korean) "원더걸스, 첫 쇼케이스서 '열정의 신고식'". My Daily. 13 February 2009. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- (English) Yang, Jeff. Asian Pop: Next stop, Wonderland. San Francisco Chronicle. April 9, 2008. Retrieved March 2, 2009.
- (Korean) Kim, Hyeon-wu.데뷔 하루 앞둔 포미닛 “라이브 걱정없어, 실력으로 승부하겠다” (Morning Before Debut, 4minute States "We Do Not Worry About Live Performance; We Will Win Through Talent"). Joins.com/Newsen. June 17, 2009. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- (Korean) 복받은 이동건, 가인-한승연-유이-현아와 무슨관계? ‘4투모로우 뮤비 출연’ (Lucky Lee Dong-gun, What Connection with Gain-Han Seungyeon-Uee-Hyuna? "4 Tomorrow Music Video Participation"). Joins.com/Newsen. October 12, 2009. Retrieved January 16, 2010.
- (Korean) ‘솔로’ 현아, 음원 랭킹 상위권… 화제의 검색어 1위 ("Solo" Hyun-a, Top Ranked Song...#1 Search Term). Joins.com. January 6, 2010. Retrieved January 10, 2010.
- (Korean) Kim, Hyeong-wu. ‘섹시 고딩’ 현아 ‘명품 복근 댄스’ 주말 내내 가요계 강타 ("Sexy High School Student" Hyun-a's "Luxury Muscle Dance" Throws Hefty Punch at Pop Music). Joins.com/Newsen. January 10, 2010. Retrieved January 10, 2010.
- "GDA Artiste Profile: HyunA". Hype Malaysia. Dec 19, 2012.
- 현아, 뮤비 19금(禁) 판정 “선정성 이유, 재심의 요청할 것”. Newsen. January 14, 2010.
- 포미닛 현아·낯선 ‘황야의 무법자’, 박명수·제시카의 ‘냉면’ 될까. My Daily. June 8, 2010.
- 현아-낯선 부른 이트라이브 ‘황야의 무법자’ 제 2의 ‘냉면’ 될까?. Newsen. June 8, 2010.
- Ji Hyun & Hyuna to cameo in thriller movie "Late Night FM"
- "SS501 Heo Young-saeng to release solo album on May 12", 10 Asia. 4 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-31
- (Korean) 포미닛 현아, 오디션쇼 '댄싱 위드 더 스타' 출연 확정. nate. May 20, 2011. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- "Hyuna's Latest Music Video Too Racy for TV Censors", Chosun Ilbo, Aug. 05, 2011
- (English) "4Minute's Hyun=a make into Billboard '21 Under 21'". Billboard. September 27, 2011. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- "Cube to launch co-ed unit ‘Trouble Maker’ with B2ST’s Hyunseung and HyunA", allkpop. Nov. 2011.
- by leesa86 (2011-12-09). "HyunA's "Bubble Pop" is #9 on SPIN Magazine's "Best 20 Songs of 2011″ list". Allkpop.com. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- Aaron, Charles (2011-12-09). "SPIN's 20 Best Songs of 2011". Spin.com. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- GhostWriter (14 March 2012). "Hyuna to launch her own fashion brand, ‘Hyuna x SPICYCOLOR’". allkpop.
- Mallika Rao (15 August 2012). "'Gangnam Style' Becomes 'Oppa Is Just My Style': PSY's 'Girl Version' Followup, Featuring Hyuna (VIDEO)". Huffington Post. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- halves in unison (22 October 2012). "HyunA's "Ice Cream" MV Released and Psy Cameos | Soompi". Soompi. Retrieved 22 October 2012.
- thunderstix (26 October 2012). "HyunA's "Ice Cream" MV Ties Girls' Generation's Record for Fastest to 10 Million Views | Soompi". Soompi. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (17 October 2012). "4Minute Hyuna’s Upcoming Solo Album to Include Co-Penned, Co-Written Track, ‘Very Hot’". CJ E&M enewsWorld.
- 이연정 (17 October 2012). "포미닛 현아 신곡 '베리 핫' 방송 불가 판정". Yonhap news.
- elliefilet (17 October 2012). "HyunA’s “Very Hot” banned from KBS and MBC". allkpop.
- 윤효정 (11 November 2012). "현아 선정성논란에 "감당하기 어려웠지만... 나만의 재능" 심경". TV Daily.
- jennywill (13 November 2012). "Hara, HyunA, and Hyorin to take Lee Hyori’s trademark spot as soju models". allkpop.
- Benjamin, Jeff (28 December 2012). "The Color of K-Pop: HyunA, Yo Seob and K-Pop All-Stars Unite for Charity Singles". Billboard. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- jhezwafu (24 October 2012). "SBS prepares project groups for year-end show". Daily K Pop News.
- jennywill (26 December 2012). "Dazzling Red (HyunA, Nana, Hyorin, Hyosung, Nicole) release “This Person”". allkpop.
- pkdance (27 December 2012). "Eru releases digital single “Don’t Hurt” feat. 4minute’s HyunA". allkpop.
- by jennywill (2013-02-18). "HyunA selected as new model for 'G by Guess'". Allkpop.com. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- Lee, Kim (2013-03-07). "Hyuna Spokesmodel For Toyota Corolla MY COLOR". 24-7kpop.com. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- "포미닛 현아, SNL 출연 "19禁 섹시 코미디, 자신"".
- 4minute Hyuna enthusiastic support poor children's charity
- "Trouble Maker signals a sexy return with video + image teaser". Allkpop. 6Theory Media. 2013-10-23. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "트러블메이커, 통했다..10개 음원차트 퍼펙트 올킬". Osen. Korea. 2013-10-28. Lay summary – Loveindacube.wordpress.com (2013-10-28).
- Oak, Jessica (2013-07-27). "'K-Pop Night Out' Returns for SXSW 2014 With HyunA, Jay Park & More". Billboard. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Winkie, Luke (2014-03-12). "SXSW Live Shot: HyunA: Korean superstar ropes in even Lady Gaga - Music". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (2014-03-12). "4minute’s Hyuna to appear in ‘Funny or Die’ with Rita Ora". Yahoo Celebrity. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "Preview photos of HyunA and Rita Ora's 'Funny or Die' video released". Allkpop. 6Theory Media. 2014-03-26. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- January 28, 2011 (2011-01-28). "Hyuna's Tattoo revealed". Koreangirlsgroup.com. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- "현아 타투, 팔 안쪽에 새긴 은밀한 글귀'Tempus' 무슨 뜻?". Boom.seoul.co.kr. 2013-04-25. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- "HyunA appears in 2008 Cyon B-Boy Championship CF". Wondergirls.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- "4Tomorrow releases "Tomorrow" MV". Allkpop. 6Theory Media. 2009-10-12. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- "SISTAR's Hyorin, Kara's Hara & 4Minute's Hyuna for Lotte Liquor". Dkpopnews.net. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- "HyunA becomes new model for 'FIFA Online 3′". Allkpop. 6Theory Media. 2012-12-13. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- "HyunA selected as new model for 'G by Guess'". Allkpop.com. 2013-02-18. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "HyunA stands on stage with "My Color" for Toyota Corolla". Allkpop. 6Theory Media. 2013-03-08. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- 기사입력 (2013-04-30). "BBQ, 섹시스타 현아 CF 모델 선정" [Hyuna chosen as BBQ CF model] (in Korean). Ajunews.com. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- "Artists attend "Gaon Charts" grand opening celebration event". Allkpop.com. February 22, 2010. Retrieved February 24, 2010.
- "Nominees for 2010 Mnet Asian Music Awards". Allkpop.com. October 28, 2010. Retrieved October 28, 2010.
- "Winners from the 2011 Mnet Asian Music Awards". Allkpop.com. 2011-11-29. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- "Nominees for the 2012 MAMA Announced". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. October 23, 2012. Retrieved November 13, 2012.
- 2010 Soompi Gayo Award Nominees. soompi. December 17, 2010.
- Soompi Gayo Awards 2011 Nominees: Vote Now!. soompi. December 22, 2011.
- 2011 Soompi Gayo Awards Results. soompi. December 31, 2011.
- Soompi Gayo Awards 2012 Nominees – Vote Now!. soompi. December 19, 2012.
- 2012 Soompi Gayo Awards Results. soompi. December 31, 2012.
- "http://www.allkpop.com/2010/12/2010-allkpop-awards-standings-update". Allkpop.com. 2010-12-16. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- "http://www.allkpop.com/2011/12/vote-for-this-years-top-stars-at-the-2011-allkpop-awards". Allkpop.com. 2011-12-08. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- "Winners of 2012 Allkpop Awards Announced". Allpopasia.com. Retrieved 2013-05-11.[better source needed]
- "슈주-2NE1-현아, 유튜브 K-POP 어워즈 수상]". news.nate.com (in Korean). November 22, 2011. Retrieved November 25, 2011.
- "Winners from the 2012 Mnet '20′s Choice Awards'". Allkpop.com. 2012-06-28. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- "Winners from the "1st Annual YinYueTai V-Chart Awards"". officiallykmusic.com. April 16, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HyunA.|
- Hyuna's channel on YouTube
- Hyuna on Twitter (Korean)
- Hyuna discography at MusicBrainz
- 4Minute Official Japanese website
- 4minute official Korean website