Kim Hyun Joong during "The Face Shop" activities in Taiwan (2011)
|Birth name||김현중 (金賢重)|
6 June 1986 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Genres||K-pop, J-pop, Dance, R&B|
|Instruments||Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Piano, Drums, Violin|
|Labels||DSP Media (2005–2010)
Warner Music Taiwan
United Asia Management
Delicious Deli Records/Universal Music Japan
|Associated acts||SS501 (2005-present)|
Kim Hyun Joong's signature
|Revised Romanization||Gim Hyeon-jung|
Kim is well known for his role as Yoon Ji-hoo in the 2009 Korean drama Boys Over Flowers, for which he received the "Popularity Award" at the Seoul International Drama Awards 2009 and the "Popularity Award" at the 45th PaekSang Arts Awards and as Baek Seung-jo in Playful Kiss for which he received "Male Popularity Award" at MBC Drama Awards.
With the expiration of the contract, Kim left DSP Media, who managed him as part of SS501 and joined KeyEast in 2010. He debuted as a solo artist with his Korean mini albums Break Down and Lucky in 2011. He is also a style icon in Korea, having won several icon awards and a member of the charity football team FC MEN.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Early life and education
- 1.2 Pre-debut
- 1.3 2005-08: Debut with SS501 and We Got Married
- 1.4 2009-10: Boys Over Flowers and H1N1
- 1.5 2010: SS501 comeback, leaving DSP Media and Playful Kiss
- 1.6 2011: Solo debut and Japan Tour
- 1.7 2012: Japanese releases, fan meeting tour and City Conquest
- 1.8 2013-present: Japan Tour 2013 & album releases, and Korean comeback
- 2 Philanthropy
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Endorsement
- 6 Awards
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Early life and education
During his school days, Kim played bass guitar in a band. However, he dropped out of school when he decided to become a singer. After SS501's debut, nevertheless, Kim returned to school and graduated in 2006.
Initially he was to debut in a five-member group, of which Han Yeon of B2Y (now disbanded) was to be the leader and Kim the youngest member. During 2001 and 2002, while working as a waiter in a family restaurant located at Jamsil-dong, Kim was introduced to a new set up management company CEO. While the group underwent training together, they were asked by their company to debut in China as a Hallyu project group, but they rejected the offer and disbanded. Kim proceeded to audition for DSP Media (formerly DSP Entertainment) and became a member and the leader of SS501.
2005-08: Debut with SS501 and We Got Married
Kim Hyun Joong made his entertainment debut as the leader of SS501 on June 8, 2005, along with their debut album entitled Warning. Their second mini album, Snow Prince was released in late 2005, five months after their debut. During this time, they also established their official fan club name, "Triple S", and fan club color, pearl green.
The group earned popularity right away as they won many rookie awards after debut. In fact, SS501 has had their first variety show, SS501 M!Pick by MNET, documenting their pre-debut days and three months after their debut. At the same time, SS501 also appeared on the 2006 show Thank You For Waking Me Up, which proved Kim to be a heavy sleeper.
Not only in South Korea, but SS501 also gained popularity in Japan one year later, in 2007, in which they had Mnet's Idol World, and The Mission which showed SS501 doing various activities in Japan, and missions to learn Japanese language and to capture the hearts of Japanese fans at the same time, just to name a few. A Japanese fan club was established with the name "Triple S Japan", which officially debuted on March 25, 2007, when SS501 had their first official meeting with the club. The group at this time released their Japanese single Kokoro, alongside multiple versions, including one with all members and five featuring each member individually. The single debuted at the 5th spot on the Oricon chart, and moved to 3rd spot the next day. It was also chosen as an ending theme song for an anime entitled Blue Dragon. In September, SS501 released their second single in Japan entitled Distance. Finally in October 24, a month later, a full album was released with their self-titled album, SS501. SS501 also received the "Newcomer Award" by Japan Gold Disc Award in January 2008; this was the first time for Korean artists to receive this award.
After their Japanese activities, SS501 returned to Korea with their single Deja Vu, which was released on March 13, 2008. Soon after, their third Japanese single was released on June 18, 2008 entitled Lucky Days.
In May 2008, Kim joined the cast of We Got Married along with Hwangbo in episode 9. Known as the "Lettuce Couple", they won MBC's "Best Couple Award". The couple made their official exit from the show in episode 38, on December 14, 2008 due to scheduling conflicts with Boys Over Flowers.
2009-10: Boys Over Flowers and H1N1
While working in Japan in 2008, Kim was cast for his first lead-acting role as Yoon Ji-hoo in the Korean drama Boys Over Flowers, a role for which he won the "Best Actor Award" at the Seoul International Drama Awards 2009 and the "Popularity Award" at the 45th PaekSang Arts Awards. Because of his drama work, Kim, along with his bandmate Park Jung-min, who starred in a musical at the time, were absent for SS501's U R Man album, which the three remaining SS501 members promoted by themselves, with the exception of some special performances that included all five band members.
In 2009, SS501 released All My Love, Solo Collection mostly consisting of solo songs by the members, for whose promotion SS501 released a mini drama music video, in which Kim was one of the main characters, and Rebirth.
In September 2009, during promotional activities in Yokohama, Japan for Boys Over Flowers, Kim was diagnosed with H1N1. He was treated in a Toyko hospital and was discharged on September 15, 2009. While recovering from H1N1, he could not attend the Seoul International Drama Awards; so his SS501 band mates, Heo Young-saeng, Kim Kyu-jong and Kim Hyung-jun accepted the award on his behalf.
Kim became a spokesperson for cosmetics brand Tony Moly, an established company with numerous branches all across Asia, including Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong, but ended his contract with Tony Moly at the end of September 2010 and continued to be the spokesperson for another cosmetics brand, The Face Shop.
2010: SS501 comeback, leaving DSP Media and Playful Kiss
In May 2010, SS501 released their last album before their contracts ended entitled Destination, produced by Steven Lee. Its title song "Love Ya" was well received, rating high in record sales and online music stores, and topped Music Bank's K-Chart even without promotions. Due to their ending contract with DSP Media, however, the group ended promotions after only two weeks.
On June 28, 2010, the news that Kim had officially left DSP Media and joined Bae Yong-joon's KeyEast Entertainment company was announced. However, although Kim had left DSP Media, he stated, that SS501's activities will be top priority in the members' contracts and that the group has not disbanded.
Kim played the leading role of Baek Seung-jo in the drama Playful Kiss, a Korean adaptation of the Japanese shōjo manga Itazura na Kiss. Baek Seung-jo is an all around perfect genius with an IQ of 200, who ends up falling in love with Oh Ha-ni, played by Jung So-min. Because of the drama's success in Korea, Playful Kiss was broadcast in China and on November 7, its leading male actor, Kim, was interviewed by CNN's Anna Coren. On October 11, Playful Kiss opened its official YouTube Channel account for the series' Special Edition promotional video and it attracted many viewers.
2011: Solo debut and Japan Tour
In May, Kim named his official solo fanclub Henecia, which is a combination of "H" (as in Hyun-joong) and "benecia", which derives from Latin word meaning "blessed".
On June 7, 2011, Kim released his solo debut mini album, Break Down. It was produced by Steven Lee, who had composed SS501's hits, "Love Like This" and "Love Ya". The title track "Break Down" is a high energy dance track featuring Double K. Another track, "Please" is a R&B heavy second lead track. The album exceeded 70,000 pre-ordered copies in just 10 days. It peaked at number one on Gaon Weekly Album Chart for the week starting June 5, 2011 and was the best-selling album for June on Gaon Monthly Album Chart with 100,433 copies sold. It also topped the Japanese Oricon chart in the International Imported Album category for the first week of July. "Break Down" was the first place winner for two consecutive weeks on Mnet's M! Countdown music show (June 16 and 23, 2011) as well as on KBS's Music Bank. Break Down is certified platinum in Taiwan, due to which Warner Music Taiwan CEO Chen Ze Shan handed Kim a platinum record in a press conference held in Taiwan. As far as Kim's popularity in Taiwan is concerned, he was the first Korean to appear on Taiwanese TV show The Person.
In July 2011, Kim held the first of his nationwide concerts in Japan. The tour continued from November in seven cities across Japan: Sapporo, Sendai, Hiroshima, Yokohama, Nagoya, Tokyo and Fukuoka.
On October 11, 2011, Kim released his second mini album Lucky. It debuted at number 5 on Billboard's World Chart  and topped the Gaon Chart again for the third week of October 2011 and was the highest selling album on the Hanteo Album Sales Chart for the month of October.
On October 25, 2011, Kim, together with Seohyun, released a digital single entitled "The Magic of Yellow Ribbon", which is the theme song for a commercial for The Face Shop. On October 28, he, along with Ha Ji Won, acted as MC at the 2011 K-Pop Super Concert held at Gwangalli Beach in Busan, which was broadcast on SBS on November 6.
In November 2011, Kim won the 2011 KIA Soul People’s Choice "Style Icon Award" for the third consecutive year. On November 9, Kim announced at a press conference for his Japan Tour that he had signed a deal with Universal Music Japan for his Japan-based music activities. Kim successfully completed his Japan Tour that had started on November 9, attracting over 30,000 fans. By the end of the year, at the 2011 Mnet Asian Music Awards, which were held in Singapore, Kim won the award for "Best Male Solo Artist".
On December 15, 2011, Kim released his digital single Marry You / Marry Me, which consists of "Marry Me" and Marry You" as well as instrumental versions of them. Music videos for both songs were released on his official YouTube channel the same day.
2012: Japanese releases, fan meeting tour and City Conquest
On January 25, 2012, Kim released his first Japanese single Kiss Kiss / Lucky Guy, which consists of Japanese versions of songs from his two Korean mini albums and one original Japanese song. Both singles reached the highest recorded in a day for any overseas artist in Japan. Two weeks after its release, the single reached "Gold" status in Japan for selling more than a million copies.
On May 23, Kim's "First Impact" concert DVD sold 16,000 copies in its first week of release, taking the number one spot for the Overall DVD Chart. This is the first time a Korean artist has taken the number one spot, and a second time a foreign artist has taken the number one spot on the charts, the first being Michael Jackson, with his 2011 DVD.
From May to July, Kim held his Kim Hyun Joong Fan Meeting Tour 2012, making stops in Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China and Thailand.
The singer, who had mostly focused on promoting his albums after his second drama Playful Kiss had come to an end in 2010, was cast for the upcoming drama City Conquest, which will air in late 2012 / early 2013. Kim Hyun-joong will portray the main character of Baek Mir in City Conquest, a wild and strong man, who experienced many hardships and difficulties throughout his life, e.g. growing up without his parents. Baek Mir ends up taking revenge against the evils of society which had destroyed his family. The drama is an adaptation from the original comic by author Shin Hyung Bin.
Only a few days before filming for City Conquest began in Japan, Kim released his second Japanese single Heat on July 4. Along with its lead track "Heat", the single album also includes "Let's Party". The single took over Japan Oricon's Daily and Weekly Charts, where 140,000 copies were sold on its first day, then a total of 183,000 copies for its first week. Moreover, the album also placed third for Oricon singles monthly chart for the month of July, selling 196,850 copies and beating DBSK's Android album with 171,554 copies. There is no question that Kim's Heat single earned a "Gold" certificate as well.
On October 4, 2012, Kim announced at an event to promote City Conquest and to celebrate his Japanese fanclub Henecia Japan's first anniversary, that he would release his first full length studio album in Japan in December. One day later, Universal Music Japan released further information via Kim Hyun-joong's Japanese website including the album's title Unlimited and a still incomplete track listing.
In November, Kim Hyun Joong participated in being a model for Madame Tussauds' display. They created an accurate life-size wax model of him to be displayed at Madame Tussauds' studio in Busan on December 21. The figure was said to have cost 200 million KRW (approximately US$186,000) and was built after 500 measurements were taken.
Kim finally released his first full length Japanese album entitled Unlimited on December 12, which consists of 14 tracks including the Japanese versions of Break Down and Lucky Guy. It topped the Oricon Daily Album Charts, and both the Tower Records' Weekly Album Charts for Shibuya branch and overall Weekly Album Chart upon its release.
At the end of the year, Kim Hyun Joong won several awards in different places including Tower Records' K-Pop Lovers! Awards: Single Daesang (Grand Prize) for Heat, "Most Popular Overseas Artist" Award at 2012 Miguhui Awards, and four awards ('Most Popular Artist of the Decade', 'Asia Top Buzz Solo Artist', 'Hong Kong Top Buzz Solo Artist', and 'Taiwan Top Buzz Solo Artist') at the ‘Yahoo! Asia Buzz Awards 2012′. 'The Most Popular Artist of the Decade' was his fourth consecutive win since 2009.
2013-present: Japan Tour 2013 & album releases, and Korean comeback
In January, Kim Hyun Joong had his first Japanese tour of this year entitled 'JAPAN TOUR 2013 “UNLIMITED”' tour. He performed his hit songs with a live band, which began on the 6th at Kobe World Memorial Hall and toured various cities across Japan including Saitama, Nagoya, and Fukuoka. In addition, he performed in South America on February 24 for the first time. He, along with Ailee, Baechigi, and Ongals performed in Brazil for the '2K13 FEEL KOREA' event. On the next day, February 25, they visited on a children center in São Paulo to get closer to the people and spend time with them. Then, he headed to Peru for a fan meeting. On the other hand, his Unlimited album has been certified "Gold" by the Recording Industry Association of Japan (‘RIAJ’) after selling more than 100,000 units to retailers.
In February, it was rumored that City Conquest has been rejected by KBS for the reason that it "lacked in quality". The producers of the drama, however, argued that KBS decided not to air it even after following KBS's requirements and requests, without any words of apology or explanation to the producers and fans. Instead, the team accused KBS of having political reasons for pulling out the drama. Then, again, KBS asserted that those claims were all false and will take strict actions against the producers. After some time, it was announced that Kim Hyun Joong will be withdrawing from the drama and is planning to start in another drama later this year instead. For now, he started his promotions as a singer with his Japan and world tour.
On March 2, Kim Hyun Joong performed at the U-Express Live 2013 at the Makuhari Messe in Japan together with the other artists such as Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band, Far East Movement, Naoto Inti Raymi and Kara. The concert is one in which only the most popular singers that represent the six labels under Universal Music can perform. He also won the "Creator’s Factory Best Actor Award" at the 5th Okinawa Music Festival for the music video Lucky Guy. The awarding ceremony was held on March 26 at the Okinawa Convention Center Theater 2 in Japan.
During this time, Kim Hyun Joong made his comeback in a Korean variety show after a long while. He is cast on the new SBS variety show with Kang Ho Dong, which first aired on April 21. Barefoot Friends's casts, which includes Eunhyuk, UEE, and Kang Ho Dong gathered together for the first time at Incheon International Airport and went to Vietnam to start filming and perform various missions. A teaser preview for the first episode was released on April 14, and it was aired on April 21, replacing K-Pop Star 2. Aside from Barefoot Friends, Kim Hyun Joong also appeared in the UV concert that was held on May 24 and 25.
Kim Hyun Joong's, then, released his third Japanese single on June 5. Tonight includes five different covers with five completely different image concepts for each of the covers. It also includes three songs: "Tonight", "Cappucino", and "君だけを消せなくて". Once again, his single topped the Oricon Daily charts, with 101,818 copies sold, and taking the number two spot by the end of the week. The album received Gold certificate for selling more than one million copies on June.
On June 6, the same day as his birthday, Kim released his new digital single in Korea entitled "What It Means To Be Alive" as a present for his fans. Two days later, on June 8, Kim held his "2013 KHJ Show - Party People" fanmeeting in Seoul, Korea to meet with his fans after a long while. Other than singing his new-released single live for the first time, Kim also celebrated his birthday, and his debut with SS501 eight years ago at the same time with his 5,000 fans who attended the event. The other members of SS501 celebrated their eight anniversary together with a video greeting message to celebrate and greet their fans, wherein they posted it on their YouTube accounts individually at the same day. However, Kim could not join them in the video because of his shooting on his variety show, Barefoot Friends at that time. Nevertheless, Kim Hyun Joong said:
|“||...It's my birthday party...and my eight anniversary as well...For me, as I always say, I feel happiest when I'm on stage where my fans can see me. I′ll never forget this day I enjoyed with you. I′ll return as a more mature person, so you can look forward to it...For the ending of the show, I think this song best fit. I will sing "Let Me Be The One||”|
Two days after the event, KeyEast stated that he will be releasing his third mini album Round 3 on July 22. They released the first photo teaser of his back muscles with Korean traditional pattern tattoos on the same day, and the second photo teaser of his intense gaze downwards with a tattoo on his neck four days later. Jay Park and Dok2 participated in the lyric-making as well as featuring in the songs "Unbreakable" and "Your Story" respectively. In addition, both songs are created by Steven Lee, and choreographed by Lyle Beniga in the former and Keone Madrid in the latter.
Known to be a generous artist, Kim Hyun-joong has continually donated to charities and healthcare institutions to share his achievements with those in need.
In 2011, Kim donated US$50,000 to the "Korean Red Cross Association" before his Japanese tour in November, then adding $50,000 to an association that heats homes later on, and another $50,000 for the third time to feed the children in Fukushima following the aftermath of the earthquake, totaling up to $150,000 secret donation.
In 2012, Kim donated 50 million KRW (about US$46,000) on December 3 to The Red Cross once again. He also donated 20 million KRW (about $17,300) to be used for the "Kim Hyun Joong Scholarship" and another 30 million KRW (about $25,950) to the "Summer Campaign for Senior Citizens Living Alone", totaling up to 50 million KRW (about $43,250), as he was touched when his fans donated 10 million KRW ( about $8,860) to the said campaign. At the same time, he was also part of the "Save The Earth reform class" environmental campaign by the Hang Ten (brand) on June 13.
|2006||Shark Bait / Pi's Story||파이 스토리||Voice (Korea Version)|
|Year||Title||Hangul / Japanese||Role||Network||Genre|
|2005||Nonstop 5||논스톱 5||Guest Ep.208||MBC||Sitcom|
|Can Love Be Refilled?||사랑도 리필이 되나요||William||KBS2||Sitcom|
|2007||Hotelier||ホテリアー||Cameo Ep.7 (with SS501)||TV Asahi||Drama|
|2008||Spotlight||스포트라이트||Cameo (with SS501)||MBC||Drama|
|2009||Boys Over Flowers||꽃보다 남자||Yoon Ji-hoo||KBS2||Drama|
|2010||Playful Kiss||장난스런 키스||Baek Seung-jo||MBC||Drama|
|2011||Dream High||드림하이||Cameo Ep.1||KBS2||Drama|
|2014||Age of Feeling||감격시대||Shin Jung-tae||KBS2||Drama|
|2005-7||X-Man / New X-Man||X맨 / New X맨||SBS|
|2006/2011||Golden Fishery||황금어장||Ep. dated 2006-12-06 / 2011-06-08||MBC|
|2008||We Got Married||우리 결혼했어요||Ep.9-38 of season 1 (with Hwangbo)||MBC|
|2009||Haptic Mission||7 Eps. (with F4 and Son Dam Bi)||Samsung Anycall promotion|
|Family Outing||패밀리가 떴다||Ep.64-65||SBS|
|2009-11||Happy Together 3||해피투게더||KBS|
|Strong Heart||강심장||Ep 10-11, Ep.81-83, Ep 101-102.||SBS|
|2012||Happy Camp||快乐大本营||November 17 guesting||HBS|
|K-Pop Star conquering the World||documentary||MBC|
|2013||Barefooted Friends||맨발의 친구들||Permanent Cast||SBS|
|Happy Together 3||해피투게더||Guest (Handsome Guy Special)||KBS|
|Cool Kiz On The Block||우리동네 예능과 체육의 능력자||Ep.21-22||KBS2|
- Samsung Anycall Blue
- Mighty Mac
- Elite Uniform
- Lotte Milkshake
- Samsung Anycall Haptic Pop
- T.I For Men
- Le Coq Sportif
- Samsung Anycall Jet
- Dinamic Kin (Coca Cola)
- Hotsun Chicken
- Samsung Card
- Basic House
- I'm David
- Tony Moly
- The Face Shop
- Hang Ten
- Coupang Spring Campaign
- Lotte Duty Free
- Aeon Heatfact (Japan)
- Aeon Coolish Fact (Japan)
- Seoul Ambassador to Tourism
- Slim Beauty House (Japan)
- March 2012 Honorary Ambassador of the United Nations Millennium Development
|2008||MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Couple Award
with Hwang Bo
|We Got Married||Won|
|Best Brand of the Year Special Award
with We Got Married cast
|2009||45th PaekSang Arts Awards||Male Popularity Award (Television)||Boys Over Flowers||Won|||
|Seoul International Drama Awards||Popular Actor||Won|||
|2nd Korea Junior Star Awards||TV Drama Newcomer Award||Won|
|Style Icon Awards||Most Popular Icon||Won|
|Yahoo! Asia Buzz Award||Korea's Top Buzz Male Artist||Won|
|Taiwan's Top Buzz Korean Artist||Won|
|Asia's Top Buzz Male Artist||Won|
|2010||Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Most Influential Star||Won|
|Sky Perfect TV Awards||Best Dresser Award||Won|
|Style Icon Awards||Popularity Award||Won|
|Yahoo! Asia Buzz Award||Hong Kong's Top Buzz Korean Artist||Won|
|Taiwan's Top Buzz Korean Artist||Won|
|The Best Search Asia Buzz Award 2010||Won|
|MBC Drama Awards||Male Popularity Award||Playful Kiss||Won|
|2011||MTN (Bloomberg TV)||Best CF Model||Won|
|Style Icon Awards||People's Choice Award||Won|||
|13th Mnet Asian Music Awards||Best Male Solo Artist||Break Down||Won|||
|Yahoo! Asia Buzz Awards||Hong Kong's Top Buzz Solo Artist||Won|
|Taiwan's Top Buzz Solo Artist||Won|
|Korea's Top Buzz Solo Artist||Won|
|Asia's Top Buzz Solo Artist||Won|
|2012||Allkpop Awards||Best Solo Artist||Won|
|Asia Song Festival||Best Asian Artist||Won|||
|Mnet K-Pop Idol Championship||Gold Medal||Won|||
|Miguhui Awards||Most Popular Overseas Singer||Won|||
|Yahoo! Asia Buzz Awards||Hong Kong's Top Buzz Solo Artist||Won|||
|Taiwan's Top Buzz Solo Artist||Won|
|Asia's Top Buzz Solo Artist||Won|
|Most Popular Artist of the Decade||Won|
|Tower Records' K-Pop Lovers! Awards||Single Daesang (Grand Prize)||Heat||Won|||
|2013||5th Okinawa Movie Festival||Creator's Factory Best Actor Award||Lucky Guy Music Video||Won|||
Music program awards
- "KIM HYUN JOONG Profile".Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- Boys Over Flowers. Dir. Ki-sang Jun. Perf. Ku Hye-sun, Lee Min-ho, Kim Hyun Joong, Kim Bum, and Kim Joon. 2009. TV Series.
- "2009 Popular Prize winners". Seoul International Drama Awards. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
- "45th PaekSang Arts Awards winners list". PaekSang Arts Awards (in Korean). joinsmsn. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
- "Kim Hyun Joong profile in KeyEast Website".KeyEast.Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- Kim Hyun Joong. Break Down. 2011. CD.
- Kim Hyun Joon. Lucky. 2011. CD.
- "FC MEN".Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- (Korean)이미영 (2011-09-06). "고교 자퇴, 서태지 영향도 있었다". 조이뉴스24. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- (Korean)최영아 (2011-06-09). ""어린시절 꿈 과학자‥무조건 올백 성적" 모범생 학창시절". 뉴스엔. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- (Korean)"'고교 자퇴' 김현중, 올 초 남몰래 대학 입학".SBS.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "SS501's Kim Hyun Joong goes back to school". Channel NewsAsia. 27 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "B2Y (비투와이)".KBS.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "DSP Media History".DSPmedia.Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- SS501. Snow Prince. 2005. CD.
- Interview. SS501 2nd Fanmeeting & Triple S Fan Club Establishment. YTN Star News. Seoul, 19 Dec. 2005. Television.
- SS501 M!Pick. MNET. Seoul, 2005. Television.
- Thank You For Waking Me Up. MNET. Seoul, 2005. Television.
- "DSP Discography 2006".Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- SS501. ST 01 Now. 2006. CD.
- Idol World. MNET. Japan, 2007.
- (Japanese)Archive copy at the Wayback Machine
- (Japanese)Archive copy at the Wayback Machine
- "Kokoro (Normal Edition)(Japan Version)".YesAsia.Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "Skull, TVXQ Hitting Overseas Charts" Korea Times. 7 August 2007. Retrieved 2011-11-02
- SS501. Kokoro. Blue Dragon ED2 OST. 2007. CD.
- (Japanese)Archive copy at the Wayback Machine
- (Japanese)Archive copy at the Wayback Machine
- "The 22nd Japan Gold Disk Award 2008" Retrieved 2013-03-05
- "DSP Discography 2008".Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- We Got Married Season 1. MBC. Seoul, 2008.
- "We Got Married Official Website".Retrieved 21-06-16.
- "[포토엔]베스트커플상 황보, 우결 파트너 김현중에게 감사 - 손에 잡히는 뉴스 눈에 보이는 뉴스 - 뉴스엔". Newsen.com. 2008-12-30. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "황보-김현중 MBC연예대상 베스트 커플상 수상 - 손에 잡히는 뉴스 눈에 보이는 뉴스 - 뉴스엔". Newsen.com. 2008-12-30. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- We Got Married. MBC. Seoul, 14 Dec. 2008. Television.
- "SS501, the 1st Asia Tour Persona in Seoul" Joongang Daily. 29 July 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-31
- SS501. UR Man. 2008. CD.
- SS501. All My Love. 2009. CD.
- SS501. SS501 Solo Collection. 2009. CD.
- Park Kun, Ouc (12 October 2009). "SS501 releases new mini-album jacket". Asiae. Retrieved 31 October 2009.
- "SS501, '타투'로 짐승돌 변신?". JoyNews (in Korean). Retrieved 31 October 2009.
- "Kim Hyun-joong Heading to Korea After Overcoming H1N1 Flu" Chosun Ilbo. 16 September 2009. Retrieved 2011-10-25
- "The Face Shop Official Website".Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Gummy releases teaser for As a Man starring Kim Hyun Joong".Allkpop.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- SS501. Destination. 2010. CD.
- (Korean)"SS501, 오늘(24일) ‘Love Ya’ 티저공개 ‘컴백초읽기’".Newsen.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- [www.allkpop.com/2010/06/ss501 "SS501 ends Love Ya promotions amidst uncertain future with contract expiry".]Allkpop.
- "[NEWS] Kim Hyun Joong and Beast Manila Concert on June 19!".Dkpopnews.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Kim Hyun-joong signs with Bae Yong-joon's agency" 10 Asia. 29 June 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- (Korean)"Kim Hyun Joong states SS501 will not be disbanding" Nate News.
- Playful Kiss. Boys Over Flowers. Dir. Hwang In-roi and Kim Do-hyung. Perf. Kim Hyun Joong and Jung So-min. 2010. TV Series.
- "'장난스런 키스 유튜브 특별판' 인기폭발".Acrofan.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Playful Kiss Official YouTube channel".Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Kim Hyun-joong to Sing at Opening of Asian Games" Chosun Ilbo. 4 November 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-25
- "Kim Hyun Joong’s The Face Shop Promotion Dates in Singapore".Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- (Korean)"김현중, 6월 솔로활동 앞서 공식팬클럽 ‘헤네치아’ 모집" Nate News. 6 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-09
- "Studio NES Official website".Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Kim Hyun-joong's 1st Solo Album Exceeds 70,000 Pre-orders" Chosun Ilbo. 1 June 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Kim, Heidi "Gaon Weekly Album Chart: 5–11 June 2011" 10 Asia. 16 June 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-13
- (Korean) "김현중 앨범발매 2주만에 10만장, 올해 최다 판매량 등극" Nate News. 22 June 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-25
- (Korean) "김현중, 공식 팬클럽 '헤네치아' 구성" Nate News. 6 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- (Chinese) "韓國首席新巨星的金賢重，14日傾盆大雨下舉辦見面會仍聚集超過2,000名粉絲" Yam News. 15 August 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-25
- "Kim Hyun Joong Becomes First Korean Celebrity to Appear on Taiwanese TV Show “The Person”".Soompi.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- (Japanese) "キム・ヒョンジュン、初の全国ツアー決定" Sanapo. 30 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- Kim Hyun Joong. Lucky. 2011. CD.
- "Kim Hyun Joong's album storms into Billboard World charts Top 5" Channel News Asia. 25 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- Park So-Jung "Ha Ji-won, Kim Hyun-joong to host upcoming K-pop concert" 10 Asia. 21 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-11
- Lee, Myeong-ju (3 November 2011). "김현중, 3년 연속 인기상 '위엄'(4회 SIA)". OSEN (in Korean). Daum Communications. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
- "Kim Hyun-joong Inks Deal with Universal Japan" Chosun Ilbo. 11 November 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-22
- "Kim Hyun Joong Official YouTube account".YouTube.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- Kim Hyun Joong. Kiss Kiss/Lucky Guy. 2012. CD.
- "Sales for Kim Hyun Joong’s Japan Debut Album Soar".MWave.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Kim Hyun Joong Reaches ′Gold′ Status in Two Weeks".MWave.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Kim Hyun Joong Sets New Record with Japanese Concert DVD".Mwave.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Kim Hyun Joong Announces 2012 Asia Fan Meeting Tour".Enewsworld.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Kim Hyun Joong holds a Japanese event with over 10,000 fans". Korea.com. 5 October 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- Kim Hyun Joong. Heat. 2012. CD.
- "Kim Hyun Joong Will Release New Japanese Single in July". Soompi. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Kim Hyun Joong Tops Oricon’s Weekly Chart with ‘Heat’".Mwave.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Kim Hyun Joong Beats DBSK on the Oricon Singles Monthly Chart".Mwave.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Kim Hyun Joong, DBSK Certified Gold in Japan".Mwave.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "B1A4, Ailee, and more have a successful stage at the 2012 "Asia Song Festival"". koreaboo. 6 August 2012. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
- Kusanagi, Melissa (5 October 2012). "Kim Hyun Joong Conquers Nippon Budokan For Japan Fanclub Anniversary". KpopStarz. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- "キム・ヒョンジュン、待望の日本ソロ・デビュー・アルバム「ｕｎｌｉｍｉｔｅｄ」の発売が決定！！" Kim Hyun-joong's official Japanese website. Retrieved 2012-10-05 (Japanese)
- "Kim Hyun Joong’s Wax Figure to be Unveiled in December".Mwave.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Kim Hyun Joong’s wax figure revealed to have cost $186,000 USD" allkpop. Retrieved 2013-02-14
- "Kim Hyun Joong to have a wax figure at Madame Tussauds" allkpop. Retrieved 2013-02-14
- Kim Hyun Joong. Unlimited. 2012. CD.
- "Oricon Daily Album Chart, 2012-12-11" Oricon. Retrieved 2013-02-14
- "SHINee, Kim Hyun Joong, and TEEN TOP rank #1 on Tower Records charts" allkpop. Retrieved 2013-02-14
- "2PM, EXO, SUPER JUNIOR, and Kim Hyun Joong win awards for Tower Records Japan’s ‘K-POP LOVERS! AWARDS 2012′" allkpop. Retrieved 2013-02-14
- "Kim Hyun Joong wins “Most Popular Overseas Artist” at Miguhui Awards in China" allkpop. Retrieved 2013-02-14
- "Kim Hyun Joong picks up four awards at the ‘Yahoo! Asia Buzz Awards 2012′" allkpop. Retrieved 2013-02-14
- "Kim Hyun Joong Starts Off On His Japan Tour".Enewsworld.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Kim Hyun Joong to hold his 1st Japanese tour of the new year, ‘JAPAN TOUR 2013 “UNLIMITED”'" allkpop. Retrieved 2013-02-14
- "Kim Hyun Joong, Ailee, Baechigi and more to perform in Brazil for ’2K13 FEEL KOREA’" allkpop. Retrieved 2013-02-14
- "Kim Hyun Joong, Ailee, Baechigi and more perform in Brazil" allkpop. Retrieved 2013-03-22
- "Kim Hyun Joong Performs for Fans in Brazil and Peru".Mwave.Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Kim Hyun Joong’s ‘UNLIMITED’ album certified “Gold” by RIAJ" allkpop. Retrieved 2013-02-14
- "Kim Hyun Joong’s drama ‘City Conquest’ rejected by KBS, producers considering legal action" allkpop. Retrieved 2013-02-14
- "Kim Hyun Joong to withdraw from ‘City Conquest’" allkpop. Retrieved 2013-02-14
- "Kim Hyun Joong Represents at the Universal Music Joint Concert in Japan" Mnet. Retrieved. 2013-03-03
- "Kim Hyun Joong to make a comeback on Korean variety shows with Kang Ho Dong".Allkpop'.Retrieved.2013-06-01.
- "Kang Ho Dong's new SBS variety, 'Barefoot Friends', reveals final cast as they set off to Vietnam".Allkpop'.Retrieved.2013-06-01.
- "20130414 맨발의친구들 예고편".Youtube.Retrieved.2013-06-01
- "New SBS variety show 'Barefoot Friends' reveals preview for first episode in Vietnam".Allkpop'.Retrieved.2013-06-01.
- "Kim Hyun Joong to Appear in UV′s Concert".Enewsworld.Retrieved.2013-06-01
- Kim Hyun Joong. Tonight. 2013. CD.
- "Kim Hyun Joong Releases Photos from His Upcoming Japanese Single Album".Mwave.Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "Kim Hyun Joong Rises to Top Ranks on the Oricon Charts Again".Mwave.Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "Oricon Weekly Single Chart, June 3-9, 2013" Oricon. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- (Japanese)"ゴールドディスク認定作品一覧 2013年6月".RIAJ.Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "Kim Hyun Joong to Release Surprise Comeback Album June 6".Kpopstarz.Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "Kim Hyun Joong Holds a Fanmeeting in Korea with 5,000 Fans".Enewsworld.Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "SS501 celebrate their 8th anniversary together!".Allkpop.Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- "데뷔 8주년 SS501, 팬들에게 감사의 영상 메시지 전달 눈길".SportsSeoul.Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- 2013 KHJ Show - Party People. Seoul. 8 June 2013. Performance.
- "Kim Hyun Joong to Return with a Korean Album".Mwave.Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "キム・ヒョンジュン、7月に約2年ぶりのカムバック！引き締まった上半身の予告イメージ公開". Kstyle. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "Jay Park and Dok2 Participate in Kim Hyun Joong’s Upcoming Album".Enewsworld.Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- (Kanuri)"김현중, 새 앨범 '라운드3'…박재범·도끼 피처링".star.Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "Kim Hyun Joong secretly donated $150,000 USD to charity" "AllKpop". Retrieved. 2013-02-19
- "Kim Hyun Joong revealed to have anonymously donated $46,000 USD to Red Cross" "Allkpop". Retrieved. 2013-19-2013
- "Kim Hyun Joong Scholarship Fund profil in The Beautiful Foundation website".The Beautiful Foundation.Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Kim Hyun Joong donates 50 million KRW in response to his fans’ charitable actions" "Allkpop". Retrieved. 2013-19-2013
- "Kim Hyun Joong Responds to Fan Club Donation by Donating With Them".MWave.Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Kim Hyun Joong’s Fans Donate 10 Million Won to Help Elderly Suffering From the Heat Wave".Mwave.Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- (Korean)"[취재] 한류스타 김현중과 함께 한 행텐코리아 리폼 클래스".Acrofan.Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Kim, Mi-ju (20 May 2012). "Wave rolls into cosmetics market". Joongang Daily. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "Winners from past years - 2011". Mnet Asian Music Awards. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
- "Congratulations! 2012 Mnet KPOP IDOL Championship Winner Announcement". Mnet. CJ E&M. 17 August 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- Shim, Jae-geol (9 December 2012). "김현중, 中서 최고 인기 해외 가수상 '주걸륜과 한자리'". Sports Seoul (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- Kim, Min-ji (9 December 2012). "김현중, 中 최고 인기 해외가수상 수상…'한류킹의 위엄'". TV Report (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- "Kim Hyun Joong wins four awards at ’2012 Yahoo Asia Buzz Awards’". Korea.com. 18 December 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- Cheon, Seol-hwa (19 December 2012). "김현중, ‘2012 야후 아시아 버즈 어워드’ 4관왕". Star Daily News (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "タワレコ K-POP LOVERS! AWARDS 2012 （アルバム&シングル部門大賞発表）". Tower Records (in Japanese). 11 December 2012. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
- "Kim Hyun Joong Wins Best Actor Award at the ′Okinawa International Film Festival′".Mwave.Retrieved 2013-06-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kim Hyun Joong.|
- Official website
- Official Japanese website
- Official KeyEast profile
- Kim Hyun-joong's channel on YouTube
- Delicious Deli Records's channel on YouTube
- Universal Music Japan's channel on YouTube
|Awards and achievements|
|13th Mnet Asian Music Awards - Best Male Solo Artist