18 February 1981 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Education||Sangmyung University - Theater and Film
Hanyang University Graduate School of International Tourism
|Spouse(s)||Park Seo-yeon (m. 2013)|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Jae-won|
Kim Jaewon (born 18 February 1981) is a South Korean actor. He is best known for the television dramas Romance (2002), Can You Hear My Heart (2011), May Queen (2012), and Scandal: A Shocking and Wrongful Incident (2013).
Kim Jaewon made his acting debut in 2001 in the sitcom Honey Honey. He rose to stardom a year later when he played a high school senior who falls for his teacher (played by Kim Ha-neul) in 2002 hit drama Romance. Rival (with So Yoo-jin) and My Love Patzzi (with Jang Na-ra and Kim Rae-won) further raised his profile.
He reunited with Rival costar Kim Min-jung in Land of Wine (2003), where they played a young couple trying to revive traditional liquor amidst a family feud. Then in 2004, he starred opposite Sun Feifei in Beijing My Love, a South Korean-Chinese co-production which was shot 80% in China. He also appeared in the romantic comedy film 100 Days with Mr. Arrogant, followed by a supporting role in My 19 Year Old Sister-in-Law.
In Wonderful Life (2005), Kim's character deals with the consequences of a one-night stand in Singapore that leads to young marriage (to Eugene) and fatherhood. After playing a third-rate gangster who inherits a kindergarten and falls for a teacher (played by Han Ji-min) in Great Inheritance (2006), Kim was cast in his first period drama role as a nobleman romantically involved with a gisaeng in Hwang Jini (previous Mr. Arrogant costar Ha Ji-won played the title role). With his Korean Wave appeal, Kim then filmed the Chinese television drama First Love, which aired on CCTV in 2008.
As his acting comeback, Kim joined the cast of Can You Hear My Heart, for which he received praise for his portrayal of a deaf man. He and costar Hwang Jung-eum were later given recognition at the year-end MBC Drama Awards.
In fall 2011, Kim signed on to star in Me Too, Flower! opposite Lee Ji-ah. But on the first day of filming on October 4, he was injured when the moped he was riding malfunctioned and accidentally accelerated. After being diagnosed with a dislocated shoulder, bone fracture and torn ligaments and cartilage, he withdrew from the drama and was replaced by Yoon Shi-yoon. Kim cancelled all entertainment activities for ten months and underwent rehabilitation under Dr. Na Young-mu (well known as the doctor of figure skater Kim Yuna), eventually making a full recovery.
In 2012, Kim returned to the small screen opposite Han Ji-hye in May Queen, which depicts the success stories of people in the shipbuilding industry. He later won the Top Excellence Award in a Serial Drama at the MBC Drama Awards (he also hosted the ceremony). Kim was also the MC of Get It Beauty HOMME, a "beauty guide for men" on cable channel OnStyle.
Though he initially became popular due to his fair skin and beaming smile (which earned the actor the somewhat feminine nickname of "smiling angel" among fans), in recent years Kim has cultivated an image as a tough guy. This physicality was showcased in his next drama, Scandal: A Shocking and Wrongful Incident (2013), where he played a detective who discovers that the man he considers his father had kidnapped him as a child from his biological family.
Taking a good start on year 2014, Kim Jae-won Joins MBC’s New Variety Show Four Sons and One Daughter, A family-oriented program with four male celebrities and one female star make up a family who will live with fake parents in a countryside. Furthermore, proving he is a multi-talented actor, Kim Jae Won will be switching it up, and taking on a hosting role on MBC current affairs program The Real Story Eye,program that will penetrate the rumors and speculation surrounding various incidents, and will track down the facts through an in-depth look at the matter from various angles and careful reconstruction of the case.
On October 2014, Kim signed an exclusive contract with new management agency Will Entertainment.
Kim married Park Seo-yeon (who was three months pregnant at the time) on June 28, 2013 at Raum Wedding Hall in Yeoksam-dong, Seoul. The couple were childhood friends who began dating in October 2012. Park is the daughter of the head of an advertising agency, and she works in management at a modeling agency. Their son was born in December 2013.
Kim Jae Won Reveals Baby’s Nickname. He revealed at the press conference before the ceremony of his wedding that they choose the child’s nickname "Heaven". He explained, “I personally really like the word ‘heaven.’ My private company’s name is also ‘Made in Heaven.’”
- Honey Honey (SBS, 2001)
- Open Drama Man & Woman "You say it's Love, but I think it's Desire" (SBS, 2001)
- Wuri's Family (MBC, 2001)
- Romance (MBC, 2002)
- Rival (SBS, 2002)
- My Love Patzzi (MBC, 2002)
- Land of Wine (SBS, 2003)
- Beijing My Love (KBS2, 2004)
- My 19 Year Old Sister-in-Law (SBS, 2004)
- Wonderful Life (MBC, 2005)
- Great Inheritance (KBS2, 2006)
- Hwang Jini (KBS2, 2006)
- First Love (CCTV, 2008)
- Can You Hear My Heart (MBC, 2011)
- May Queen (MBC, 2012)
- Scandal: A Shocking and Wrongful Incident (MBC, 2013)
- 100 Days with Mr. Arrogant (2004)
- Inkigayo (SBS, 20 January 2002 - 18 August 2002)
- Get It Beauty HOMME (OnStyle, 16 September 2012 - 7 October 2012)
- Four Sons and One Daughter (MBC, 3 January 2014 – Present)
- The Real Story Eye (MBC, 3 March 2014 – Present)
- Lee Soo-young - "I'm Thankful to Her" (2001)
- Leeds - "Silent Goodbye" (2002)
- Ditto & Sympathy 2 compilation - "함께 있음을" (2005)
- Jolin Tsai - "Agent J" (2007)
- Kan Jong-wook - "초연" (2011)
- Promise - Onaji Sora no Shita (Japanese single, 2008)
- My Woman - Stay in the Moment (Korean single, 2013)
|2002||18th Korea Best Dresser Awards||Best Dressed, TV actor category|
|MBC Drama Awards||Best New Actor||
|SBS Drama Awards||New Star Award||
|Top 10 Stars|
|2005||1st China Drama 풍운방 Awards||Most Popular Foreign Actor||
|2010||4th Korea Cable TV Broadcasting Awards||Star of the Year Award|
|2011||Jaekyung Ilbo's 2011 Star of the Year||Best Actor||
|MBC Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries|
|2012||20th Korean Culture and Entertainment Awards||Hallyu Star Award||
|MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Serial Drama|
|2013||MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Special Project Drama||
- The actor indicates a preference of spelling his name "Jaewon" (without a space or hyphen) on his official website.
- "Romance (2002, MBC miniseries)". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Lee, Seung-jae (3 April 2003). "SBS Ups Ante on Land of Drink After Phenomenal All In". The Dong-a Ilbo. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Cheon, Seung-hoon (23 November 2003). "Manly Chang Dong-gun Is My Favorite Actor". The Dong-a Ilbo. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Wee, Geun-woo (12 March 2010). "Korean stars at shine at Korean military concert". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Lee, Jong-gil (24 January 2011). "Actor Kim Jae-won discharged from military today". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- "Actor Kim Jae-won poses on completing his mandatory military service in Yongsan, Seoul". The Chosun Ilbo. 25 January 2011. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Kim, Jessica (7 February 2011). "Kim Jae-won cast as male lead for upcoming drama". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Hong, Lucia (30 March 2011). "New Kim Jae-won TV series to air April 2". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Hong, Lucia (2 January 2012). "The Greatest Love snags 7 honors at 2011 MBC Drama Awards". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- Kim, Jessica (21 September 2011). "Kim Jae-won joins E Ji-ah drama". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Hong, Lucia (30 September 2011). "E Ji-ah, Kim Jae-won attend first script reading for new drama". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Park, Hyun-min (5 October 2011). "Kim Jae Won Dislocates His Shoulder, Promises to Make Quick Recovery". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Park, So-jung (5 October 2011). "Kim Jae-won gets into motorcycle accident". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Kim, Jessica (14 October 2011). "Kim Jae-won to leave E Ji-ah drama". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Choe, Min-ji (14 October 2011). "Kim Jae Won Drops Out of Me Too, Flower!". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Kim, Myung-hyun (14 October 2011). "Yoon Si-yoon cast as male lead in upcoming E Ji-ah TV series". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- Park, Hyun-min (9 November 2011). "Kim Jae Won Likely to Return Earlier than Expected". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Lee, In-kyung (30 November 2011). "Kim Jae Won is Rapidly Recovering". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Lee, In-kyung (7 March 2012). "Kim Jae Won Makes Full Recovery From Motorcycle Accident". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Lee, Hye-ji (13 July 2012). "Kim Jae-won returning to TV with May Queen after recovering from injury". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Lee, In-kyung (7 May 2012). "Kim Jae Won Reveals He was Traumatized by Poverty". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- An, So-hyoun (17 January 2013). "Kim Jae Won Joins the Free Agent Market". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Oh, Esther (5 September 2012). "Kim Jae Won to Serve as Pretty Boy MC of Get It Beauty HOMME". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Lee, Jin-ho (17 September 2012). "Kim Jae Won Thought He Was Born with His Skin". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Lee, Eun-ah (10 May 2013). "Actor Kim Jae-won to Return to Small Screen". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (28 June 2013). "Kim Jae Won Says Marriage is a Sure Way to Happiness". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- An, So-hyoun; Lee, In-kyung (4 June 2013). "Kim Jae Won to Get Married to His Pregnant Fiancee on June 28". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Park, Si-soo (4 June 2013). "Actor Kim to tie knot on June 28". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Yoon, Min-sik (4 June 2013). "Actor Kim Jae-won to get married late June". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- "Kim Jae-won to Wed Childhood Sweetheart". The Chosun Ilbo. 5 June 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- MacDonald, Joan (15 July 2013). "Fans Learn More About Kim Jae Won's Non-Celebrity Wife". KDramaStars. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- "Actor Kim Jae Won Is Now a Father!". Soompi. 31 December 2013. Retrieved 2014-02-13.
- "Winners of the 2013 MBC Drama Awards". Soompi. 30 December 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-30.