July 10, 1952 |
in Sarnia, Ontario
|Genres||Rock, hard rock, progressive rock|
|Occupations||Musician, Songwriter, Radio DJ|
|Associated acts||Max Webster|
Joseph Kim Mitchell (born July 10, 1952) is a Canadian musician. He was the lead singer and guitarist for the band Max Webster before going on to lead a solo career. He is currently a radio show host for CILQ-FM (Q107) in Toronto.
Mitchell attended St. Clair Secondary School in Sarnia.
During the 1970s, Mitchell began playing with local bands in Sarnia. After going through a few name changes with essentially the same band, Mitchell and "Zooom" headed for Toronto, Ontario. Zooom eventually dissolved, with Mitchell traveling to the Greek islands.
On his return to Canada, he formed the band Max Webster with fellow Sarnia native Pye Dubois. Max Webster toured extensively and built a string of hits. Mitchell's solo career began after his departure from Max Webster, with session work and a succession of solo albums.
A new sound was road-tested on the club circuit and recorded on his 1982 self-titled mini-album. Songs such as "Chain of Events" featured Mitchell's lead vocal and guitar and Dubois' suburban story-telling, anchored by the visceral drum/bass combination of Paul DeLong and Robert Sinclair Wilson. Peter Fredette added vocal and guitar counterpoint.
In early 1985, the song "Go For Soda" from the Akimbo Alogo album became an international hit and remains his best known song outside of his native Canada. The song was also featured in the opening scene of the 1985 Miami Vice episode "Buddies". It was popularized in a series of television commercials for the soft drink Mr. Pibb. More recently, that ad campaign was lampooned by American Dad, in the episode "A.T. the Abusive Terrestrial". The song was later used in the Trailer Park Boys episode "We Can't Call People Without Wings Angels So We Call Them Friends". His most successful Canadian album was the follow-up, 1986's Shakin' Like a Human Being, featuring the hits "Alana Loves Me", "Easy to Tame", and the biggest hit of his career, "Patio Lanterns".
In 1992, Mitchell played guitar on the track "Brave and Crazy" from Tom Cochrane's album Mad Mad World. In that same year he also made a cameo appearance (as himself) on the third season finale of the popular Canadian sketch program The Kids in the Hall.
2004 to Present
In 2004, Mitchell entered the radio broadcasting industry, becoming an afternoon drivetime host on Toronto classic rock radio station Q107 (CILQ-FM). He also opened for Def Leppard at the Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto on July 16, 2007. His eighth studio album, entitled Ain't Life Amazing, was released on July 17, 2007.
The Kim Mitchell Band features his musical partner of 26 years Peter Fredette on bass and vocals (originally 2nd guitar and keyboards) with Chris Sutherland on drums and vocals, and Ray Coburn on keyboards.
|1977||High Class in Borrowed Shoes||44||Gold|
|1978||Mutiny Up My Sleeve||53||Gold|
|1979||A Million Vacations||13||Platinum|
|1979||Live Magnetic Air||17||Gold|
|1989||The Best of Max Webster||-|
|1986||Shakin' Like A Human Being||6||3x Platinum|
|1990||I Am A Wild Party (Live)||13||Platinum|
|2005||Fill Your Head with Rock||-|
|2007||Ain't Life Amazing||-|
|Year||Song||US Hot 100||U.S. Main- stream Rock||Album|
|1985||"Go For Soda"||86||12||Akimbo Alogo|
|1986||"Patio Lanterns"||-||36||Shakin' Like A Human Being|
|2006||"Young at Heart"||Charlie Major||Shadows and Light|
Mitchell has been awarded several Juno Awards for his work:
- 1983 – Most Promising Male Vocalist of the Year
- 1987 – Album of the Year: Shakin' Like A Human Being
- 1990 – Male Vocalist of the Year
- Mitchell also made a cameo appearance on the show Twitch City.
- In Season 7 of the Trailer Park Boys Ricky played one of Mitchell's classic songs, "Go For Soda", on 8 track, while exclaiming "Bubbles, While you rock a piss, I'll rock some Mitchell." Mitchell also appeared on the Canadian sitcom The Kids in the Hall during a sketch where he teaches senior citizens how to tune the electric guitar.
- he has contributed voice work for several episodes of the PBS animated series Cyberchase voicing Appollo in "out of sync", chief in "The guilty party" and Walter the walrus in "When Penguins fly"
- Kim Mitchell is also the host (and has made guest appearances) on GUITAR PICKS shown on the HIFI high-definition channel now in its second season starting in 2012.
Kim Mitchell has two sons, Josh and Jesse. Jesse works for his father as a drum tech and road manager.
- "Kim Mitchell becomes DJ" - CBC News - The Arts
- "Kim Mitchell's back in his groove" - The Spec - Entertainment
- Peak positions for Max Webster's albums in Canada:
- For "Max Webster" "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 25, No. 22, August 28, 1976". RPM. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- For "High Class in Borrowed Shoes" "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 27, No. 23, September 03 1977". RPM. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- For "Mutiny Up My Sleeve" "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 29, No. 18, July 29, 1978". RPM. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- For "A Million Vacations" "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 31, No. 18, July 28, 1979". RPM. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- For "Live Magnetic Air" "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 32, No. 18, January 26, 1980". RPM. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- For "Universal Juveniles" "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 34, No. 5, December 06 1980". RPM. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- For "Diamonds Diamonds" "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 35, No. 10, October 03 1981". RPM. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- "Gold Platinum Database: Max Webster". Canadian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- Peak positions for Kim Mitchell's albums in Canada:
- For "Kim Mitchell" "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 37, No. 19, December 25, 1982". RPM. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- For "Akimbo Alogo" "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 41, No. 2, September 15, 1984". RPM. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- For "Shakin' Like A Human Being" "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 44, No. 21, August 16, 1986". RPM. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- For "Rockland" "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 50, No. 16, August 14, 1989". RPM. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- For "I Am A Wild Party" "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 52, No. 11, July 28, 1990". RPM. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- For "Aural Fixations" "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 55, No. 19, May 09 1992". RPM. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- For "Itch" "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 60, No. 3, August 08 1994". RPM. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- For "Greatest Hits" "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 61, No. 26, July 31, 1995". RPM. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- "Gold Platinum Database: Kim Mitchell". Canadian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- Trailer Park Boys - Season 7 - "We Can't Call People Without Wings Angels - So We Call Them Friends"
- Official website
- Kim Mitchell - The lovelorn troubadour
- Kim Mitchell Music Summary
- Kim Mitchell Biography
- HIFI Guitar Picks