|Occupation||Television, film, theatre, composer|
- Composer on Little Women (2005) Pets!, When the Cookie Crumbles, The Secret Garden, Class Clown, Harriet the Spy and Babes in Toyland, All My Children, As the World Turns, The Tracey Ullman Show, and The Guiding Light.
- Orchestrator on The Hanoi Hilton (1987)
Work with Alison Hubbard
Although Oler and Alison Hubbard's songwriting work on the musical adaptation of Little Women won a Richard Rodgers award in 1998, the track did not make it to Broadway. They left the show in April 2000, and worked on musical tracks at the BMI Lehman Engel Musical Theatre Workshop, including songs for a musical version of Arthur Wing Pinero's The Enchanted Cottage, while their music for Little Women was redone by Allan Knee, Mindi Dickstein and Jason Howland.
After contacting Raymond de Felitta, the director/screenwriter of the 2000 independent film Two Family House, Oler and Hubbard worked on a musical version of the film, with de Felitta serving as the librettist. The musical was called Buddy's Tavern, and was chosen for the 2004 ASCAP/Disney Workshop in New York City.
A few years later, Oler and Hubbard were asked by lyricist/librettist Sean Hartley, perhaps best known for his work on the musical Cupid and Psyche, to help him arrange a Spring 2003 concert, with musical material from winners of the Richard Rodger award. The partners had agreed with each other, before, that they would not embark on their own musical version of Little Women until someone had asked them. He had been impressed by their songs for the original musical, although they ended up altering each of the original songs, and writing several new ones. In 2003, Broadway producer turned-community theatre producer John Wulp listened to Oler and Hubbard's original songs, and asked for the two, and Hartley, to put their version together. It became an amateur run in Wulp's North Haven Island community/educational theatre, and ran for sixteen performances.
Awards and nominations
Oler has been nominated for four Daytime Emmy awards in the category Outstanding achievement in Music Direction and Composition for a Drama Series, for his work on All My Children. He was nominated from 2003 to 2008, and won twice in 2003 and 2005. His first DE win was shared with Terry Walker, A.J. Gundell, Jerry Pilato, Dominic Messinger, Gary Kuo, Mike Renzi, John Wineglass, Brian Comotto, Loris Holland, Robbie Kondor, Ron Goodman, Brian Tarquin, Peter Fish, and Jim Klein. Oler's work on AMC also won the BMI Television Music Awards of those same years.
Kim Oler also won the 2002 BMI Jerry Harrington Award for Outstanding Creative Achievement in the Musical Theater, for his work on the musical version of The Enchanted Cottage. The following year he won the Jerry Bock award for his work in the musical.
- The Enchanted Cottage - Music and Lyrics Retrieved on September 4th, 2004.
- "For the Ousted Rodgers Award-Winning Songwriters of Little Women, the Show Goes On". Kenneth Jones, Play Bill.com. 2005-02-05. Retrieved 2008-09-04.
- "Theatrical Rights - Kim Oler resume". www.theatricalrights.com. 2006. Retrieved 2008-09-04.[dead link]
- Between the Lines: Sources for Singing the Living Tradition; page 162. By Jacqui James. Publisher Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations, 1998. ISBN 1-55896-331-6 / ISBN 978-1-55896-331-3