Kim Roberts reading at Busboys and Poets, 2013
November 7, 1961 |
Charlotte, North Carolina
|Occupation||poet, editor, essayist|
University of Arizona
She is the editor of Beltway Poetry Quarterly, and the anthology Full Moon On K Street: Poems About Washington DC (Plan B Press, 2010), and author of the poetry books Animal Magnetism (Pearl Editions, 2011), The Kimnama (Vrzhu Press, 2007), and The Wishbone Galaxy (Washington Writers Publishing House, 1994). Her work has been published in numerous anthologies and literary journals throughout the US, and internationally. The Kimnama is a book-length poem that chronicles her experiences during a period of residence in India.
Roberts has seen her work adapted to music by, Arc of Ones, as well as by classical composer Daron Aric Hagen. Several poems have been choreographed by Jane Franklin Dance Company, which were performed at the Kennedy Center Millennium Stage.
Washington, D.C., is the source of much inspiration for Roberts. She has developed numerous tours for schools and community groups highlighting the literary and cultural history of the city. Roberts frequently leads walking tours of the Harlem Renaissance-era writers in the greater U Street neighborhood. Roberts's research on Walt Whitman’s decade in residence of Washington, DC was featured in The Walt Whitman Quarterly Review, as well as being referenced in subsequent articles in The Washington Post and The Washington Times, features on radio essays on stations WAMU and WPFW, and on panels for Whitman conferences at Rutgers University, the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, and at the annual Washington Historical Studies Conference. Roberts was the Coordinator of the city-wide festival in 2005, "DC Celebrates Whitman: 150 Years of Leaves of Grass."
Roberts is the winner of the 2009 Pearl Poetry Prize for her manuscript, "Animal Magnetism." In 2010, she won the Washington Online Award for "Contributions to the DC Literary Community." In 2008, she was awarded an Independent Voice Award from the Capital BookFest. Roberts is the recipient of grants from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the D.C. Commission on the Arts, and the Humanities Council of Washington. She has been awarded writer's residencies at thirteen artist colonies across the United States.
- Animal Magnetism Pearl Editions, 2011, ISBN 9781888219388
- Full Moon On K Street: Poems About Washington, DC. (Plan B Press). 2010. ISBN 978-0-9778243-6-6.website
- The Kimnama. (Vrzhu Press). 2007. ISBN 978-1-4303-1407-3.
- The Wishbone Galaxy. (Washington Writers Publishing House). 1994. ISBN 978-0-931846-45-8.
- The Distressway (2006)
- I'll Give You Flowers (2006)
- Dave's Birthday (2001)
- The Language of Love: An Exploration of the Alphabet in Twenty-Six Parts (1997)
- America (1995)
- Sex and the Symbol Woman with Kathy Keler (1992)
- Lip Smack: A History of Spoken Word Poetry in DC (2010)
- Tours and Web Exhibits
- DC Writers' Homes, co-editor with Dan Vera (2011)
- Henry Adams in Lafayette Square (2011)
- Wide Enough for Our Ambition: DC's Segregated African American Schools (1807-1954) (2010)
- New Deal Washington (2009)
- Jazz Age Stories of the Rich & Scandalous! (2008)
- Zora Neale Hurston's Washington (2007)
- Mid-Atlantic Medical Museums, Academic Internal Medicine Insight (2006)
- The Harlem Renaissance in D.C. (2005)
- Whitman In DC: Gay DC Walking Tours Co-written with Martin G. Murray (2005)
- WALKArlington in Rosslyn Walking Tour (2004)
- Special Projects
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kim Roberts.|
- Author's website
- Preliminary Guide to the Kim Roberts Biographical Files of D.C. Poets, 1995-2006, Special Collections Research Center, Estelle and Melvin Gelman Library, The George Washington University