|Born||Kimberly Brooke Spradlin
January 30, 1983
|Residence||San Antonio, Texas, U.S.|
|Television||Survivor: One World (winner)|
Kimberly Brooke "Kim" Spradlin (born January 30, 1983) is a bridal shop owner from San Antonio, Texas, best known as the winner of 2012's Survivor: One World and the $1,000,000 prize. Spradlin was also named the Sprint "Player of the Season" as voted by the show's fans, winning her another $100,000.
Survivor: One World
In spite of being one of the quieter contestants of the season, Spradlin caught the attention of Alicia Rosa during the trek to the girl's camp because she posed as a strong player which forged her into Alicia's alliance along with Chelsea Meissner, Kat Edorsson, and Sabrina Thompson. Spradlin, and the rest of the Salani tribe then prospered, winning three consecutive challenges, and received free immunity when the Manono tribe decided to go to Tribal Council after winning the Day 11 Immunity Challenge.
Following her victory at the final two Immunity Challenges, and the eliminations of Alicia and Christina, Spradlin found herself in the final three with Chelsea and Sabrina. Spradlin's quiet and effective strategy earned the respect of seven of nine Jury members, crowning her the as 24th Sole Survivor. Spradlin was awarded $1 million for winning the Survivor contest, and $100,000 more as the Sprint Player of the Season, awarded by viewer votes.
English professor Ellen Sorg compared Spradlin's Survivor win with the notable winning streak of Ken Jennings, a contestant on Jeopardy! in 2004. Sorg suggested that Jennings, though very knowledgeable on many topics, would not fare as well as Spradlin on Survivor, because the ability to recall many facts is not as valuable in daily life as overall intelligence, which Spradlin demonstrated. Sorg said Spradlin won because of a combination of practical and interpersonal intelligence.
Soon after winning the $1 million prize, Spradlin appeared on the CBS daytime talk show The Talk, where she said she would use the money to improve her San Antonio bridal shop, and to take vacations. She also said she planned on being "generous" with family and friends.
Spradlin married Bryan Wolfe over the weekend of March 16-17, 2013, in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, on a private beach near the hotel she was staying. Her fellow Survivor tribemates, Alicia Rosa and Kat Edorsson attended as bridesmaids. About 1 month later Spradlin was arrested due to a case of mistaken identity. She spent eight hours in jail, after going to change her name at the DMV, in San Antonio, when a staff member saw there was a warrant out for her arrest for check bouncing. However, after bailing herself out for $1,500, it turned out there was another person named Kimberly with the same birthday. She later stated: "Be careful at the DMV, ya never know what's going to happen." In July 2013 she announced she was pregnant with her first child who was eventually born on February 8, 2014.
- McKay, Mary-Jayne (May 14, 2012). "Survivor: One World Crowns a Winner". CBS News (CBS Interactive).
- Ross, Dalton (May 14, 2012). "'Survivor: One World': Winner Kim Spradlin reveals how she did it, her worst move, and what happened to that hidden immunity idol". Entertainment Weekly.
- Wigler, Josh (May 14, 2012). "'Survivor: One World': Why Kim Deserved To Win". MTV News (Viacom International).
- Corneau, Allison (May 14, 2012). "Survivor: One World: Kim Spradlin Wins $1 Million Prize". US Weekly.
- Chen, Joyce (May 14, 2012). "Survivor: One World winner Kim Spradlin: 'I didn't want to put my fate in anyone else's hands'". New York Daily News.
- Sorg, Ellen (2013). "Survivor Has More to Do with Intelligence than Jeopardy!". In Shaun P. Young. Jeopardy! and Philosophy: What is Knowledge in the Form of a Question?. Popular Culture and Philosophy 72. Open Court. pp. 164–166. ISBN 0812698045.
- Moraski, Lauren (May 14, 2012). "Survivor: One World winner Kim Spradlin plans to spend her $1M on 'special things'". CBS News.
- Helling, Steve (March 17, 3013). "Survivor Winner Kim Spradlin Weds in Mexico". People.
- Kim Spradlin Arrested at DMV in Major Police Mix-Up. Retrieved April 2013
- Wick, Krista (July 18, 2013). "'Survivor' Winner Kim Spradlin Pregnant". ET News. CBS Studios. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- Survivor Winner Kim Spradlin Expecting First Child
|Winner of Survivor
Survivor: One World